Thirty-Eight

POV: Riley

Taylor and I just landed and we have been whisked to John’s office. Taylor has held my hand the whole time. She hasn't said anything, but she has been my rock.

All I can think of is that sweet little girl I met 10 years ago being my daughter. I wonder if she looks like me or if she looks like Jenny? Does she like to dance? Does she play music? Does she hate me?

“Get out of your head. I can see it in your eyes,” she whispered in my ear.

“I am terrified, Tay. Who has she been staying with? Why did her parents disown her?”

“Baby, I need you to breathe. It's going to be ok,” she said, kissing me softly.

As the SUV approaches John’s office, security opens the door, and we step out. Riley steps out, offering her hand to me as I step out. We carefully make our way into his office. We are greeted by Scarlett, Marcel and Tree.

Scarlett hugged Riley. No words were spoken, just a smile and a hug.

“Riley, Scarlett, so good to see you,” John said, stepping out of his office.

“Is she here?” I asked quietly.

“She is, and she is just as nervous as you. Are you ready to meet her?”

I nodded my head, and John showed us into the conference room and as we entered I saw her and Jenny’s best friend from Julliard, Sabrina.

“Bri?”

“Hello Riley,” she said, walking over and hugging me.

“You’re her guardian?”

“Yes, and I am sorry you are finding out this way. Jenny wanted to tell you, but her family. Well, that's another story.”

“Does she hate me?” I whispered.

“Riles, she doesn’t hate you. Jenny did a good job of explaining why you weren't in her life.”

“Why don't we all sit down,” John said, gesturing for us to sit.

____________________________________________________________________________

POV: Sabrina

As I watched my god-daughter shuffle in her seat, I knew she was nervous. She had memories of Riley from when she was little and spent those few months with her.

Everything was happening so quickly. We first heard about Riley’s accident and then Jenny was killed in the wreck, and now she is being sent to live with someone she hasn't seen in 10 years. I can't even imagine what is going on in her head. Losing her Mom has hit her hard. They were two peas in a pod.

While Riley hasn't been in Rory’s life since she was little, Jenny made every effort to tell Rory about her other parent and why she didn't see her anymore.

As I see Riley, Taylor and Scarlett approaching the room, I feel her tense up. She is a huge fan of both Scarlett and Taylor. I am not sure she knows that Scarlett is actually Riley’s cousin. Jenny never brought it up.

“Why are they here with her?” she asked quietly.

“I don't know baby, but we will be ok.”

“Do you think she will be mad?”

“No baby, I am sure she is just as nervous as you.”

“Bri?”

“Hello Riley,” I said, walking over and hugging me.

“You’re her guardian?”

“Yes, and I am sorry you are finding out this way. Jenny wanted to tell you, but her family. Well, that's another story.”