For Maisy - by gemzisnotcool

I was the only girl in the glade. The guys all said I looked gorgeous, but I had trouble believing them. They told me I had curly brown caramel hair and hazel eyes. Apparently I was quite pale and very tall. I didn't see how that was appealing, but I didn't question it. I got on with life. I was a Med Jack, my job was to soothe patients with severe injuries whilst the others disinfected them. I would hold their hands, hush them and tub the inside of their hand with my thumb. If all else failed, I would sing. Not very often but I had to sometimes, it worked a charm. Clint always told me I should sing more, but I was too shy about my voice to ever try that. Life was dull really. I had given up hope on ever getting out of here. Where ever this was. Days turned into weeks, which turned into months, and eventually years. I kept my thoughts to myself, I kept everything to myself really, wasn't very talkative. I had a few close friends: Chuck, Minho, I was on good terms with Gally and the rest. Then there was Newt. But my feelings for Newt had changed as of late. I kinda had a major crush on him. Only Chuck and Minho knew, and they urged me to tell him but I was too nervous, scared he didn't like me back. He was the only guy, except Chuck and Minho, that didn't cat call me, hit on me, ask me out. He was nice to me, and I appreciated that. He was also gorgeous. Tall, slightly tanned skin, chocolate eyes that I could stare into forever, honey blonde hair. His accent made my heart melt. But it was silly to think I actually had a chance with him. So I continued this boring life, soothing patients, trying to ease their screams. It was all normal until Clint came up to me at the end of the day.
"Maisy your singing is the only thing that really calms the patients. If you could practise it a little, I would rather you sang as much as possible from now on." I turned the thought over in my head. It was true that it was the only thing that stopped them screaming, and though hearing bloodcurdling shrieks of agony had become a regular thing, I would be glad to make them stop.
"Eeeh, okay. But Clint? I'd rather no one but the other Med Jacks knew about this." I answered and he nodded.
"Sure thing, thank you." He replied. I smiled at him and went to get dinner. I took a meal from Frypan and went to sit with Chuck and Minho.
"You're later than usual, what kept you?" Chuck asked.
"Had to clear up some stuff, patient wouldn't stop flailing his arms everywhere. Bloody shank almost broke everything and left a big bloody mess." I replied, lying through my teeth .
"Aha ok, sorry bout that." He said, grinning sheepishly, "Soooo, you told him yet?" Minho raised his eyebrows at me. I blushed madly at the comment.
"I, euuh, no. I'm too scared! What if he doesn't feel the same way?" I said, exasperated.
"He does! Bugger won't quit talking bout you! Now tell him!" He replied, throwing his arms in the air. I blushed more at that.
"I'll tell him tonight." I finally said. The boy's faces lit up.
"Yes! Finally!" I shook my head at them, laughing. I went and gave my plate to Frypan, thanking him for the meal. I had to find a secluded spot to brush up my singing. I decided to try the watch tower. Thankfully there was no one there. I sat cross legged on the tower, and started to sing.

"Hey there, Delilah
What's it like in New York City?
I'm a thousand miles away
But girl, tonight you look so pretty
Yes you do
Times Square can't shine as bright as you
I swear it's true

Hey there, Delilah
Don't you worry about the distance
I'm right there if you get lonely
Give this song another listen
Close your eyes
Listen to my voice, it's my disguise
I'm by your side

Oh it's what you do to me
What you do to me

Hey there, Delilah
I know times are getting hard
But just believe me, girl
Someday I'll pay the bills with this guitar
We'll have it good
We'll have the life we knew we would
My word is good

Hey there, Delilah
I've got so much left to say
If every simple song I wrote to you
Would take your breath away
I'd write it all
Even more in love with me you'd fall
We'd have it all

Oh it's what you do to me

A thousand miles seems pretty far
But they've got planes and trains and cars
I'd walk to you if I had no other way
Our friends would all make fun of us
and we'll just laugh along because we know
That none of them have felt this way
Delilah, I can promise you
That by the time that we get through
The world will never ever be the same
And you're to blame

Hey there, Delilah
You be good and don't you miss me
Two more years and you'll be done with school
And I'll be making history like I do
You'll know it's all because of you
We can do whatever we want to
Hey there, Delilah, here's to you
This one's for you

Oh it's what you do to me
What you do to me."
I finished the song, and heard applause. I turned to see Newt.
"You sing beautifully." He said, making my cheeks turn crimson.
"Thanks." I replied, fiddling with my hands.
"May, I've been wanting to tell you something. And I understand if you don't talk to me again. I really like you, always have, and it sounds crazy but-" I cut him off by putting my lips to his. Sparks flew through my body as I tangled my fingers in his hair. He put one hand around my waist, pulling me closer to him.
"I love you Newt." I whispered to him, staring at the clear sky.
"I love you too May." He said back, taking my hand in his as we walked back to the homestead.