Chapter 41 - home

When we went home we didn't go straight to the burrow like Molly asked, we ended up in the small flat above WWW.
George shuffled around heaving his weight until he made his way over to Fred's bed, I followed closely behind leaning against the doorway, watching him.
George's eyes were blank, his hand shook as he went to pick up one of Fred's jumpers that lay on the end of his bed.
I watched him as he brought the sweater with the unmissable 'F' knitted on the front to his chest, his lower lip trembled and the tears came streaming down his cheeks.
He collapsed to his knees hunched over with the sweater in his clutch, all I could do was stare, tears fell from my own eyes and I wrapped my arms around myself.
"Freddie..." George mumbled quietly through a throat full of sobs, suddenly my feet became unstuck from the floor and I made my way over to George engulfing in him in my embrace.
George turned his body so he could cry on me, my chest ached and my heart felt as if it couldn't take anymore.
I opened my eyes to spot three pictures on Fred's bedside table, one of them was the twins laughing hysterically in their new suits on the opening day of WWW. Another was the same but I was in between them but this time I was crying with laughter as the boys fought over me jokingly. The last one was the twins last birthday, Molly must've taken it when we were throwing cake at each other. I was covered in frosting and Fred lunged a piece of cake at my face but it missed, George had pushed cake into Fred's face which is what caused him to miss his shot at me. George had the worst of all, he was clearly covered in cake, hair and face. Yet we were all smiling and enjoying ourselves.
George had stopped crying and that's when we decided to disapperate to the burrow.
We arrive in the living room where Arthur is holding Molly tightly as she cries, I notice the picture of the twins in her hands tear drops over the frame.
Ron holds Ginny up against his side as they silently mourn their lost brother, I intertwine my fingers with George's; rubbing my thumb over his knuckle.
The burrow seems a little emptier, a little colder and defiantly less cheery. George moves away from his family heading up to his room.
I watch as he gathers up some of the clothes Fred left there, he takes nearly most pictures as well before returning downstairs.
He hands Molly the pictures sitting down in front of her, resting his head on her knee, she gently brushes Georges hair just like she did Fred's where he laid back at the castle.
Molly slowly regained control over her cries and breaks the depressing silence.
"The funeral is to be next week, all the deaths from today shall be buried in one graveyard." Molly informs us all, George takes his mothers hand squeezing it as he keeps his head low.
"If you...if you...if you want I could make copies of some of the photographs of Fred so we could all have a piece...a piece of him." I struggle to word out my sentence as my throat is tight and the lump stuck inside doesn't help.
"That would be lovely, dear, thank you." Molly pushes a smile onto her face wiping away a few last escaping tears.
"If you want, you could stay here tonight instead of returning to the shop." Arthur offers in a small voice, George doesn't respond so I simply nod and sit beside George.
The rest of the afternoon went by slowly, Molly went through sorting photos into albums and I duplicated them for her so George could have his own copy. In the evening I helped Molly make dinner, she accidentally set too many places at the dining table as if she forgot about Fred's death then she suddenly burst into tears forcing Arthur to take her back into the living room whilst I finish up.
No one had much of an apatite, constantly feeling and then being reminded that someone's missing takes it's toll.
Everyone also retired early but with the grieving sadness lingering about the burrow no one really slept...
I lay in bed beside George, he turns his back to me therefore I sling my arm over him holding him close to me. George takes my hand adjusting my arm to his comfort, fortunately it's my right arm he's holding onto.
I can't bare even looking at my left knowing the dark mark is still there, the same dark mark as the death eaters that probably killed Fred.
Throughout the night Georges pillow grew damp, it's clear that he can't sleep and neither can I however finally when he does fall into a deep slumber I'm kept away by his chilling nightmare.
I open my eyes staring across to George that shakes and whimpers in his sleep, I brush my fingers over his cheek trying my best to comfort him. After a while George settles down, but as soon as I decide to sleep he bolts awake.
"Fred!" George gasps, I stay lying beside him as he rubs his eyes tiredly. "Fred, I had the worst dream..." George looks across the room to see Fred's bed empty. Perhaps staying in Georges room wasn't the best idea tonight. "Freddie?" George whispers, I can see the glimmer in his eyes even in the darkness.
I push myself up taking hold of his upper arm, George faces me his lower lip quivering like a child. I reluctantly shake my head before George slams his head back down onto his pillow.
I sigh regrettably and push myself up against the wall, I can't do much more than comfort George, I can't bring his brother back, I can't replace that unmistakable feeling of loss. I'm useless.
A couple days go by, the same tired miserable feeling stays around the house, darkening everyone's mind.
George hasn't really spoken about Fred or about anything, he mostly sits around with Molly staring at pictures of his past.
I've kept everything running here in the burrow, it's going to take a while but hopefully after the funeral we will all try to move on. Fred's loss is hard but we can't just drop everything and freeze time to mourn his death every second of every day. Fred wouldn't want that.
I walk out of the burrow to see George sat by the lake, I plant myself next to him resting my head on his shoulder as he skips stones using his magic to make the stones skim for longer. Also using accio to bring it back each time.
"I'm sorry, George." I whisper a whisper so quiet it's near silent, George sniffles running his hand through his ginger locks.
I pull out my wand and spray some water at George, George rolls his eyes and sprays me back.
"Come on Georgie, talk to me." I smile warmly as I dry myself off, George sighs shaking his head.
"There's nothing to talk about. Cleo, I know you're trying but please, stop." George gets up going to walk off.
"You want me to stop trying? All I want, all I ever have wanted was to see you and Fred happy but with Fred gone..." I rise to my feet but am quickly cut short by Georges outburst.
"Gone?! See what I mean! You talk about him like he's just got up and left! But no! He was killed! Fred's dead, Cleo! None of you seem to understand that he's never coming back! He hasn't disappeared! He's dead!" George snaps, the build up of water in Georges eyes is highlighted by the nearing sunset.
"I know! George you weren't the only who lost Fred when he died! He was my best friend as well as your brother! We all did everything together and I'm broken too! I hate how you act like Fred only mattered to you! I know what it's like to lose family, everyone called my parents death an accident when they killed just like Fred! I miss him too! You aren't the only one!" I cry out at George, George rushes forward claiming me in his arms as I finally break down fully. I fall into him and squeeze my eyes shut.
"I know, I'm sorry, it's just..." George doesn't finish his sentence as he loses his ability to speak without his voice breaking.
That night I was the one to dream about Fred...
It was a couple summers back, we decided a family game of quidditch was the best decision for the day. Obviously my team which included Fred and George won as Ron tried cheating.
After the match we spent the afternoon at hogsmeade where we sat down and drank butterbeer for hours.
"No,Fred you're doing all wrong! Look, look," I flicked my wand and a nearby wizard that was just passing by slipped up falling straight on his face. "You've got to focus if you want them to land face first." I explained giggling hysterically at my rather confused target.
"Whatever, Cleo. I find it funnier when they land on their arse anyway" Fred draped his arm over my shoulder smirking at George.
George made Fred's butterbeer spill onto Fred's lap, Fred glared at his twin, what George didn't know at the time is Fred used a spell to tie Georges shoe laces together about half an hour ago. So when Fred got up dragging me away with a mischievous grin, George tried to follow us but ended up falling over.
I laughed so hard the butterbeer I was trying to finish before leaving came out of my nose.
Fred laughed at me forcing me to trip him, Fred and George laid on the floor like idiots as they laughed before I finally stormed out.
"Aw, we're sorry." Fred and George chased after me.
"Yeah we didn't mean..." George started,
"For butterbeer to come out of your nose." Fred finished his sentence stop slightly laughing.
I folded my arms across my chest ignoring them.
Both of the twins link their arms in mine lifting me off the ground.
"Aw come on, we'll buy you chocolate frogs if you want?" Fred cooed, I climbed onto the boys as they kept me from touching the floor.
"I'm not a child!" I whined, Fred and George smiled putting me back on my feet.
"We know." They say in unison,
"But we want sweets so come on!" Fred took off in a high speed sprint, George caught his arm and grabbed my hand. We disapperated to diagon alley all laughing at each other.
I wake up early in the morning, the dream still fresh in my mind. That was a bloody brilliant day.
My smile drops when I notice George isn't in bed...