Chapter 57 - empty gold

A/N - I've been gone so long I know but now I actually (partially) have a grip on my chaotic life! The new news for this story is that it is going to be updated every monday now! Woohoo! Weekly updates!! I hope y'all have missed me and here we go!

Clementine's PoV
Two weeks have past since that night...
"We are so glad you finally decided to spill us all the juicy bits of your betrayal Cleo." Rita Skeeta is almost out of her seat with excitement, I furrow my brow at her reaction to my agreeing to do an interview for once.
"Yeah well, might as well get it over with..." I grumble adjusting my seating position.
After I kind of forced myself into Donnie's memories and saw the truth I finally decided that I should clear things up with the press and try and convince every witch and wizard that I'm not as bad as I've been made out to be.
It wasn't even a week when I saw Donnie again, I haven't really forgiven him for withdrawing the truth and for being a part of the reason why I am branded an inner circle death eater, still we've been together all week and longer. He's been teaching me the basics of snatching, I've been working out an agreement so it's strictly professional and no funny business between us two.
Rita speaks up pulling me from my thoughts.
"What made you turn to the dark lord? Was it expulsion from Beauxbaton? Didn't you like Harry for stealing your triwizard cup?" Rita questions me, I visibly roll my eyes at her ridiculous theories.
"I didn't turn to the dark lord, I was forced. My cousin, the late death eater Bellatrix Lestrange, overheard from a snatcher I used to know that I was a decent witch and informed Voldemort. Voldemort instantly grew interested in me and they watched me carefully. I was mentally and physically tortured for a long time and then before I could object, they branded me with this." I yank my sleeve up my arm, immediately a photo is taken of the brand on my arm.
"Sweetie, you're more than decent if the dark lord himself wanted you on his side." Rita giggles quietly at my attempt of being casual, I mean I don't want to boast about how Voldemort believed I was 'truly talented and powerful'. It's nothing to boast about. If anything this experience makes me want to hide my strength, so no other psychos want me to join their evil army.
"Anyway, Bellatrix Lestrange, tell me more about her." Rita pleads, her eyes peak over the top of her spectacles as she leans forward with anticipation.
"There isn't much to talk about, after her escape from Askaban she made contact with me and it all started there. Bellatrix didn't have an ounce of good in her, she helped Voldemort hunt me down." I feel my throat tighten as I speak of her, a small ache in my chest stops me from saying anymore.
"Why did you keep it a secret?" Rita lowers her voice,
"Because I would've been disowned! I didn't have a good enough explanation until the battle at Hogwarts! Imagine telling everyone you love, everyone you care about that you've turned into their most hated enemy. Imagine telling everyone and watching their reactions when they see the horrid mark stuck on your skin, staring at it as if they've just witnessed you saw your arm off!" I can't help but raise my voice, tears flood my eyes and my voice breaks as I speak.
For once in Rita Skeeta's life she was silent.
"And we all know how the story ends, I lose my friends, the world turns against me even though I sacrificed myself kore than enough times for the good of wizards everywhere including my friend Harry Potter. Harry and I may not have been close but I knew he was a good kid, I was in love with his best friends older brother. That brought me close enough with the trio, I protected them whilst they hunted down horcrux's because I knew Harry could end this. I was close to death many times, suffered pain you wouldn't even dream of and witnessed loss like never before. I did all this for my friends and everyone who was ever against Voldemort. Still you catechise me so and spread rumours like wild fire! I am not a bad person because of this brand, you are a bad person for seeing me and only seeing that." I rise to my feet when I speak, the anger inside of me turns my cheeks pink and flustered. I storm away from the female reporter completely satisfied that they can't change what I just said to fit their twisted minds...or can they?
Never mind, I'll worry about that when the issue is released.
I don't stop walking until I've reached the end of the street then I take my time to apperate back to my home, when I open the door I notice a familiar shadow waiting by the sofa.
"Afternoon, darlin', you ready for our next job?" Donnie opens his arms wide as if he's expecting a hug, I roll my eyes into the back of my head at the man; I walk past his open embrace.
Donnie's hands fall to his side. "Still too pissed off for hugs, okay." Muttering to himself, he strides beside me as I'm quick to respond.
"Well we are juts co-worker, I promise to help you and I am. Anyways I'm not sticking with you forever, Don." I argue keeping my tone steady and low. Donnie ignores my comment and continues to speak casually.
"I've got us a job since the last one I did on my own because you were away so I figured this one is good and simple for us.. Even if ya are working with someone ya hate." Donnie suggests the idea of going on a job, I simply stare at the man, studying him swiftly before I nod my head and beckon for him to go on.
"Okay, it's simple, we won't be doing much, but they need all the hands they can get." Donnie starts to explain as I move away, Donnie's eyes run up and down me without him even hiding it. I send my heel into his shin with warning when he catches up.
"Okay, let's get goin' shall we?" Donnie holds out his arm all gentlemen-like, after wincing at what just happened.
"We're going now? Aren't you going to go through some dramatic plan and tell me all the rules to this kind of thing?" Folding my arms across my chest, I stare flatly at the man.
"Moody today, aren't we, sweetheart? Anyway, there aren't any rules when it comes to bein' a solo snatcher, just follow my lead. This one is an easy starter for ya, sweets. Just take what I tell ya, get me?" Donnie stands still with his arm out, this time I more willing to accept it.
"Who are we doing this for?" I whisper as we land outside a tall country side manor house that reminds me of a happier version of the Malfoy's.
"Does it matter?" Donnie asks, I feel his fingers slide into mine as he drags me behind a nearby oak tree. I merely nod my head, I am not doing a job for Lucius Malfoy or any other inner circle death esteem I refuse it.
"Look, darlin'...It's nothing personal, I work for dark wizards, a few good wizards and occasionally the ministry but since the ministry and all the goodies don't seem to like me too much at the moment it's mostly dark magic wizards. I work for them that means you do too, it's just business Cleo." Donnie explains it well enough, I feel the warmth intensify when he squeezes my hand with his own.
"You ready, sweetheart?" Donnie's lips hold an amused smirk on them. I haven't done anything like this in a while, I feel the nerves start to kick in.
"Let me get a few things from my house, then we can get going. Explain when we get there." I apperate back to my house and rush into the living room/my bedroom gathering things I might need whilst Donnie rambles on about the upcoming challenges.
"Alright, tough guy, let's go."

We land outside the manor once again, this time I'm prepared.
"Donnie!" A young blonde boy jogs over to us, he wore the trademark black makeup and red band around the arm but dressed very differently to Donnie. A dark red grimy hoodie and black trackies, a large black leather jacket covering his hoodie. Four more snatchers emerge from the tree.
"Isn't this goody-two shoes death eater? What she doin' ere?" A bearded boy looks me up and down, I manage to not snap sharply back at him.
"Relax fellas, she's just 'elping an old friend like me out." Donnie smirks, the group of boys whistle and mutter to one another.
"So, are we actually going to do something today or are you going to stand around with your hands down your pants?" I slide my wand out of my jeans and edge towards the manner.
Donnie explained that it is just two half bloods and one full blood that owe money to his employer.
The plan is to grab them and take them to Donnie's employer to collect our pay, that's it. But I won't be doing that part of the job.
I pull out the mask Donnie gave me and tie it around my eyes and nose. I pull a hood up over my hair and turn back to the boys who are all talking to Donnie.
—"I like this one Don."
—"she's a keeper."
—"I think she's chosen the wrong guy."
—"I see what you mean by her feistiness."
I try to ignore the comments as I beckon Donnie forwards.
"Are we going in or what?"
"Yeah, gimme a second." Donnie turns to his group. He cups his hands around his mouth and produces a sound quite like a pigeon.
"Let's go." The blonde snatcher from earlier chuckles, in a flurry of snatchers we are start to disapperate.
I land inside the house and we all split up. I head off with one of the older looking men into the lower parts of the house.
I run straight into one of the men that we need, I send him an apologetic smile as I paralyse him with a flick of my wand.
"Good job, newbie." Blonde from earlier scoops up the man and disapperates.
The next person I find is Donnie with the youngest of the house, a teenage girl not much older than sixteen.
"Why do we need her?" I ask, Donnie lifts her bridal style as she is dozing off from the charm he used.
"Our orders were to get the family, the only one we can somewhat 'urt is good o'daddy but you already caught 'im and took out all the fun." Donnie pouts like a child, he noticed my expression of disgust and laughs it off.
"Donnie, I got her! Let's get out of here!" Another voice appears from no where. Donnie sends me to scavenge the house for escapees or anything like that and I spend fifteen minutes checking the whole manor before returning home.

"Well done, darlin'. You did good." Donnie greets me with a beaming grin, I pull off my mask and hoodie.
"Thanks. It was sorta fun. They aren't going to get hurt are they?" I ask what's been bothering me since Donnie mentioned the father earlier.
"Who knows? We got paid and that's all matters, I don't care what happens after I'm 'anded the money." Donnie shrugs his shoulders, my stomach twists in a horrible way.
"Don't think about it, Cleo. It'll only make it worst."