Chapter 4

Chapter 4

  I stood still outside of the front door for a moment. The car wasn't on the drive so I knew dad was out, which was good, mum’s a lot easier to get around than him. I opened the door and walked inside, she was waiting for me.

  “Drinking!” she yelled at me and shoved me back against the door. “Why have I had a call about you DRINKING?”

  I stared at her; she pretty much had the answer already. She‘d only get a call about me drinking if I’d been drinking, so there, she already knows the answer.

  “You stink of it,” she hissed at me. “You’re a flaming disgrace!” she yelled as her open palm slapped across my face.

  I had to flex my jaw for a second to make sure it was still working. Trust me when I say this, my mum is no push over and she has one hell of a slap.

  “Leave me alone,” I hissed as I pushed her off me and opened the door again wanting to leave. I didn't care that I had nowhere to go. I just wanted to get away.

  As soon as I managed to get outside, I felt her hand grab onto my wrist and squeeze it, clenching her long fake nails into me, which sent a surging pain through my entire right arm.

  I pulled again, trying to get as far away as possible but her nails were really digging in now. When I was finally able to get out of her grasp, a familiar car pulled up on the drive and an angry man jumped out swearing and yelling. I knew all of our neighbours were getting a good view of what was happening, but they’ve watched mum and dad be pushed around by me in the past, so they’re happy that they’re taking back some control.

  I tried to run past dad but there was no chance of that happening, he grabbed onto my already sore arm and started pulling at it, trying to get me back inside the house. At one point he loosened his pull, I thought it was my chance to get away, but then he quickly yanked it. I let out a low yell when I heard it click, and cursed under my breath.

  Dad quickly lifted me up onto his shoulders and carried me into the house. I felt so embarrassed; at least none of our neighbours are around my age or go to my school.

  As we walked in, mum locked the door and slipped the key into her pocket.

  “Why can’t you just leave me alone?” I shouted, clenching tightly to my arm.

  “You’re an embarrassment to this family,” my dad grunted at me. “Binge drinking at school, what were you thinking?”

  “Oh, like you never did it,” I hissed, making him push me back against the wall.

  I tried to shield my arm but there’s not much I could do to stop it hurting when I collided with the wall.

  “Don't talk to your father like that,” mum shouted, giving me another slap. “Make sure he’s quiet tonight.”

  That was the queue for dad to ‘take care of me’.

  “I'm going out,” I hissed as I ran towards the back door.

  “It’s already locked, Zacky,” dad chuckled at me.

  I’ve lost my only chance of escape now, so I’ll have to just take whatever he does to me.

  He slowly walked over to me and stared into my eyes. I knew he could see fear so I tried to act a bit tougher.

  “Why were you drinking?” he asked.

  “Because my dad made it look pretty fun,” I said.

  Suddenly a fist hit me in the jaw. They hated hearing me swear but how can you not when someone as strong as my dad hits you in the face like that.