Chapter 21

Chapter 21

  Cole dropped me off a few blocks away from school so that we weren’t seen together. The only problem was that a few blocks was a few blocks too many and I ended up twenty minutes late for form. I knew I was going to be late but I planned to only miss like five minutes or something.

  “Wait outside Mr. Mondale,” Mr. Baker shouted at me when I barged in late.

  I know he’s like my favourite teacher but he can be a real pain at times. I missed twenty minutes and he yells and shouts. Yet I missed the whole thing the other day and he acted like he didn’t care. What’s changed since then? Crap! He saw me and Cole kiss and he thinks I came onto him doesn’t he. Man, he’s not yelling because I'm late, it’s because he wants to know what’s going on. It’s okay Zack, just calm down. Just tell him the truth. Well, not the truth truth but the truth, if you know what I mean.

  “You’re late,” he shouted when he walked out to see me.

  “Sorry sir.”

  “Do I get an explanation?”

  “I just forgot to set my alarm.”

  I'm crafty because I don’t even have an alarm. Most people do so it’s pretty unlikely he’ll question me over having one or not.

  “Again?” he asked. “You’ve used that excuse a few times now.”

  “I'm a pretty forgetful guy,” I smiled at him.

  “Zack, can you stay behind at the end?” he asked in a soft voice. “We need to talk about Mr. Sanders.”

  “I’d rather not if you don’t mind,” I grunted, knowing that I need to act embarrassed about kissing him, even though the only part I regret is getting caught.

  “You can’t be gay,” he sighed.

  “What’s that meant to mean?”

  What gives him the right to say I can’t be gay? I can be what I want to be and I don’t care what he thinks.

  “I know you too well Zack. You’re not gay.”

  “Yes I am,” I admitted.

  Wow, I can’t believe I said it again. I sounded so confident as well. Cole is doing so much good for me. Without him I’d never have been able to admit that.

  “I'm gay, okay?” I whispered just in case anyone in the classroom heard.

  “Right then,” he muttered.

  “What?”

  “You’ll have to change in my office; I'm sure the other boys wouldn't want you watching them.”

  “That’s not fair,” I grunted. “There are other guys in our PE who like guys and they don’t have to change in your office.”

  “That’s because they know how to control themselves, unlike you.”

  “I can control myself!”

  “So why were you all over poor Mr. Sanders? I thought you said you couldn’t help it,” he said sternly. “Look I'm not being mean, I'm just worried that you’ll end up doing something to someone in class because you can’t control yourself and then no one will treat you the same.”

  I stared at him for a moment and realised he was right. I knew I wouldn't risk doing or saying anything to anyone in my PE but if I ever did everything would be over for me.