Chapter 39

Chapter 39 – Zacky’s Point of View

  “Are you sure Cole’s coming to get you?” John asked me. “I mean we’ve been waiting for ages now; I might as well take you myself.”

  I nodded at him angrily because I really can’t believe Cole has left it this long. He said he’s get me over an hour ago... so where is he? Now I'm going to have to ride with John; great!

  “Thanks John,” I muttered, hating the fact that he was doing something nice for me.

  So this is my plan for the rest of the day: get to school again, most likely get a detention for leaving, avoid pretty much everyone, get an explanation from Cole and then hopefully stick with him for as long as I can. There we go; everything’s sorted now; I’ve got a whole day to look forward to. Aren’t I lucky?

  When John dropped me off at school all I could do was mumble to myself as I tried to think of something to say. What can you say after you’ve ran away and then decided to come back? Do you say sorry? Should I even tell anyone? I mean maybe they didn’t notice. Surely they’d have better things to do than to keep tabs on me. Then again; Cole told me that he told Mr. Walker he hadn’t seen me and it wouldn't take long for him to find out that I'm not in school.

  It felt odd walking across the yard on my own, knowing that Mr. Walker will want to know why and probably where I went. Plus I have to think of an answer for him seeing as I can’t say I was at Mr. Sander’s house and I left because I'm scared of my dad.

  “Zack!” I heard someone shout making me tense up a bit. Who the hell was that? I started panicking a bit but then I realised it was Beth. “Where were you?” she asked running up to me and wrapping her arms around my neck. “Well?”

  “Oh,” I gasped only just remembering how much she wanted to speak to me this morning. “I'm so sorry; I completely forgot.”

  “You better be sorry,” she said poking me in my ribs. “So why weren’t you here before?”

  “I skived off this morning, came in and then left again,” I shrugged.

  “You said you were on the bus,” she said crossly. “So that must mean you were here for a bit. Plus Liza said you were in, so I was like no he’s not you lying-”

  “Yeah I didn’t feel too good,” I lied.

  “You said you were skiving though.”

  “I meant ill,” I said unsurely, knowing that she was on to me.

  “You might as well tell me; you can’t keep secrets too long without me finding out you know,” she smiled.

  I laughed at that seeing as I'm amazing at keeping secrets and hiding things really. I mean she’s never asked about my parents the whole time I’ve known her; she’s completely clueless about it. Then there’s the fact that I'm gay, in a relationship with a teacher, have been raped by Mr. Baker, am likely to be attacked by a load of strangers who have been sending me text messages... Wow that list was longer than I expected.

  “Fine; I came in on the bus but I didn’t want to go to form so I left and kind of lost track of time,” I told her.

  “Is that the truth?” she asked as she folded her arms across her chest.

  “Yeah,” I smiled smugly.

  “You’re lying,” she sighed. “Why don’t you trust me? It’s like you don’t tell me anything anymore!” she said as her eyes filled with tears.

  “Bethie,” I said softly as I pulled her into a hug and let her cry into me. “I didn’t know that bothered you,” I whispered. “I'm sorry.”