Chapter 5

Chapter 5

  What’s the point in carrying on? Even my best mate would rather go back home than spend time with me. Does he know how that makes me feel? It makes me feel like crap!

  I have no idea where I am anymore; one minute I was in town, the next, some alternative universe. I have no idea how I ended up here but I suppose it’s easy to get lost when you’re walking around aimlessly letting your mind wonder and think about stuff that it doesn’t usually get chance to think about.

  One thing I’ve been thinking about is my parents. I mean, should I let them do this to me? I know a while ago the situation was the other way round, but I was a kid then. I didn’t know wrong from right. Heck, I didn’t even know left from right. Can they really blame me for how I use to behave?

***

  I stared out across the beach in front of me, having a clearer idea of where I was now. It’s pretty far from home, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

  It was a cold night and it felt the wind was piercing through my clothes and the bitter cold was biting away at my skin. I watched the waves as they raced across the empty beach, mesmerizing me. I don’t know why I was so amazed, but I was. It was like the sea related to me and understood. That probably sounds pretty odd but I felt like it had found my weakness and instead of using it against me it was trying to help. Maybe it’s death calling me, telling me to walk into it and never come back. I’ll never do that, I'm so much stronger than that, and at some point I’ll prove it.

  I had no idea what time it was now, other than late, so I walked into this café that was just across the road, to try and find out. I hoped it wasn't too late, or early, depends which way you look at it.

  The café was empty except for the people working behind the counter and this man who was sat alone stirring his coffee. I couldn’t help but smile when I saw him, he was gorgeous! And kind of familiar as well. He had brown wispy hair that was perfectly styled with spiked locks flowing downwards. He looked so mysterious that my mind began to hurt when I tried to figure him out. It was impossible, as if he had a force field around him that was blocking out everyone else.

  I looked at the clock behind the counter: two thirty, that’s not too bad. I might even have enough time to get to know Mr. Mysterious over there.

  I grinned like a lovesick teenager when he looked over at me. Then again, I suppose that is what I am. A teen obsessing over someone they haven’t even met yet.

  I went over to the counter and ordered a drink for myself.

  “Do you want anything?” I asked the man who was sitting on his own.

  God I'm brave, no one can say I don’t have guts now!

  “Thanks,” he said back to me with a cheesy look on his adorable face.

   Yes! He spoke to me! He’s letting me get him a drink! Okay, now calm down Zacky. Act cool.

  I walked over to his table and sat down opposite him. He immediately offered to pay for the drink I’d just got him but I didn’t let him. There was no chance I was going to let him pay for it.

  “I'm Zacky,” I said, extending my hand.

  “Cole. Thanks for the drink.”

  “No problem.” 

  Definitely no problem, I’d buy him every drink here if it would keep this conversation going. “So, why are out at this time of morning?” I asked, feeling pretty desperate to hear his angelic voice again.