Chapter 6

Chapter 6

  Cole went quiet for a moment, clearly not knowing what to say now. I felt a bit better now that someone else knew, but that didn’t change how scared I was.

  “Have you reported him to the police?” he asked in a serious tone.

  “No, I don’t want to. They won’t listen and if the police know, other people will eventually find out, and they’re bound to tell my mum and dad and, and...”

  “Calm down sweetheart,” he whispered as he pulled me into a hug. “No one’s going to hurt you.”

  “I know,” I cried into his chest.

  “I’ll take you back to mine,” he whispered. “There’s no chance I'm letting you go home in this state.”

  I nodded, realising that it wouldn’t be a good idea to try and walk home alone and then there’s the chance that someone will be awake when I get in. Mum and dad are always up early on weekdays. Really early, that’s why I try to be home way before three.

  Cole took hold of my hand and walked me over to his car, which was parked alone in an unlit alleyway. When we got there I started having second thoughts. There are so many ways that this could end badly for me.

  I stood still as Cole got into the car, he watched me for a moment before getting out again to find out why I didn’t come in. The main reason was because I have a few trust issues. What do you expect when your own parents, the people who are meant to care for you most in the world, turn against you?

  “What’s wrong?” he asked, softly.

  “Can I trust you?”

  “Of course you can,” he answered sounding pretty convincing.

  He smiled lightly then softly and slowly, he pulled me closer to him and wrapped his arms around me.

  At first I felt a bit awkward but I quickly relaxed into his hold and nuzzled my head into his chest. This could be one of the only good things that have happened to be in a really long time, and I won’t let anything ruin this for me.

  “You’re really cold,” he mumbled, resting his head on mine before lightly kissing my forehead.

  My heart was racing and I didn't know what to do now, so I just said the first thing that came into my head.

  “Well, you’re pretty hot,” I whispered making him chuckle at me.

***

  The car ride to Cole’s house was kind of awkward. I didn't know what to say and he’d decided to go quiet on me. I knew he had something on his mind, but I thought that maybe it’d be for the best if I didn't ask him about it, I mean, we barely even know each other.

  The silence was killing me now. I like noise! I didn't really want to be the first to speak, but I knew he wouldn't, so I reluctantly voiced myself.

  “So,” I whispered, knowing that he’d still be able to hear me over the humming of the car engine.

  “So,” he said back to me.

  “Aren’t you going to say anything?” I asked quietly, hoping that that didn't sound mean in any way. I just wanted a conversation, you know?

  “Sorry,” he whispered. “I'm just thinking...”

  It went quiet again for a few minutes and I started wondering how long it would take to get to the house. It feels like we’ve been in this car for ages now and I'm starting to get sick of how awkward it is.