Chapter 30

Chapter 30

  I walked out of Cole’s house and headed towards Liza’s. I have no idea why but I found it easier to take my mind off things around her. One of the reasons is to do with her always going on about her own problems so much that I ignore mine and another reason is I’m starting to need her as much as she needs me. I know how weird that must sound but I do care about her and we both care about the other.

  It was a pretty long walk but I needed to be alone with my thoughts for a while. Right now I’m not thinking about him I’m concentrating more on what would’ve happened if I didn’t call Cole. Would I still be there now? Would Mr. Markham have found me there?

  It’s scary to even think about to be honest. Imagine him finding me. His reaction. How quickly it would’ve spread all over the school. That would seriously finish me. I’d never go in again.

  I took a deep breath as I knocked on her front door. It didn’t take long for her to answer, greeting me with a beaming smile.

  “Hi Zack!” she said cheerfully.

  “Hey,” I sighed.

  “Are you alright?” she asked me.

  “Look, this might sound rude but, could I please stay here tonight? It’s just I really don’t want to go home,” I explained quickly, not wanting to beat around the bush.

  “Okay,” she said sounding quite confused. “I’ll ask my mum, but if she says yes there’s no chance you’ll be allowed to stay in my room so you’ll have to go with my cousin.”

  “Thanks Liza and I don’t mind,” I grinned.

  I knew there’s always somewhere for me when it comes to Liza. Her parents on the other hand, I'm not as sure about. Last time I saw them they weren’t too happy and they come across as strict and you know, a little anti boys when it comes to their daughter.

  “Come in,” she said, closing the door behind me. “Mum!” she shouted. “Mother!”

  I laughed at her as she tried to get her mum’s attention.

  “I'm sorry about this,” she sighed. “Mummy!”

  “Are you sure she’s in?” I asked her.

  “Yes!”

  I saw a woman coming down the stairs and I suddenly felt really nervous. The last time I saw a lady as angry as this it was my mum, and I ended up getting pretty badly hurt. Calm down Zack! She won’t touch you.

  “What?” she shouted.

  “Can Zacky stop the night?” she asked making her mother’s eyes turn to me, making me feel really uncomfortable.

  “He’s a boy,” her mum muttered.

  “I know but he can use Zander’s room. Please mummy!” Liza begged.

  “Is he your boyfriend?” she asked.

  “No,” I muttered before Liza could answer. “We’re just friends.”

  She looked at me again and then back to Liza.

  “And why can’t he stay at his own house?”

  Liza looked at me but I didn’t really want to give her a reason, but I knew a lie wouldn't be convincing enough so I had to tell them. It’s the only way I can get away from them.

  “T-they’ll hurt me,” I whispered regretting telling them that straight away.

  “What?” Liza gasped.