Chapter 20

Chapter 20

  I walked into the café and smiled as I remembered the last time I was here, the person I spoke to. I knew I was blushing because that happens a lot when I think about Cole, which is weird seeing as no one else has ever made me go pink the way he does. It’s like he has control of my heart and I don’t ever want him to lose that. Ever!

  I sat down at the table we were at last time and started to think about what I’d say to him when he gets here. Should we hug, shake hands, nod, just say hi? Or do we say hello? Great now I'm going to get worked up over that. Hi or hello? I doubt it makes much difference. Then again, hello has three more letters than hi, which must count for something, right?

  What am I on about? Cole won’t care about how I greet him, as long as I do something he’ll be fine, I hope. Well, why wouldn't he be? It’s not like me saying hi instead of hello would make him walk out of here, leaving me sitting here all alone. That would just be stupid. And Cole wouldn't do that anyway, not on the day where I'm supposed to be getting to know him better.

  For around ten minutes I just stared at the door, waiting for him to walk in, no one did. Not for quite a long time anyway. He was almost twenty minutes late when he finally showed up, but I was too glad to see him to be even the slightest bit angry. I couldn’t even question him about why he was late; I was that happy to see him again.

  I stared at him and noticed he was wearing a bit of makeup around the skin of his left eye.

  “Makeup?” I asked him.

  “Funny story,” he grinned, sitting down beside me. “I sort of walked into a door and now I’ve got an awful black eye.”

  “So you covered it up?” I laughed at him.

  “Well, yeah. I didn’t want people asking me how I got it because then I’d have to say I walked into a door. I’d look like an idiot if I told someone that.”

  I laughed at him and then gently kissed the skin around his injured eye, trying to make it better.

  “You’re a miracle worker,” he joked.

  “And don’t you forget it,” I smiled brightly at him.

  We were getting on so well now that I was struggling to believe it. This is just amazing. Me and Cole, wow. Who would have guessed we’d become so close?

  “Right, well my first job for today is to make sure you eat, so what do you want?” he asked me.

  “Anything,” I mumbled.

  “Can’t you be a bit more precise?”

  “Fine,” I chuckled at him. “I’ll have something with eggs.”

  “Okay. So you’ll eat whatever I buy you as long as it has eggs with it?”

  “Yeah,” I grinned, certain that I could do this. “Bring it on Sanders.”

  “Oh it’s on Mondale,” he said in a mocking voice back to me as he went to order for us.

  I watched him from my seat and I noticed that he was limping as he walked over to the counter. Maybe he didn’t just walk into a door. What if he was in a fight? If someone’s hurt my Cole I swear I’ll cause them so much pain that they won’t be able to move for months. And that’s no joke; no one messes with my friends. No one!

  As I waited for him to come back I played with my hands. I had to just twiddle my thumbs as something to keep me occupied because I had to give up on watching him in case he saw me and felt a little bit awkward with me. I’d hate him to feel uncomfortable, especially if he’s about to tell me about his life. About him.