Chapter 8

Chapter 8

  “It’s about... Beth,” he mumbled. “Something bad happened to her and... I’m not meant to tell anyone but I can’t keep this to myself and... I know I can trust you.”

  “She’s alright, isn't she?” I asked panicking.

  “She got... raped and she’s really, well, you know...”

  Raped? My mind immediately remembered the night I spent in that alleyway a few months ago. Could it be the same guy? If I’d reported him would Beth be okay?

  “Why did she tell you?”

  “I knew something was bothering her and you know how she is with secrets, so she told me.”

  “Who else knows?”

  “I think it’s just us. Don’t make it obvious that you know, just wait and see if she tells you herself.”

  “Okay,” I whispered. “Is she in today?”

  I so hoped the answer would be no, she must be petrified right now; she defiantly shouldn’t have to deal with school things right now.

  “Yeah but I can tell she doesn’t want to be; she needs to be at home.”

  “You’re right about that,” I whispered, knowing from experience that leaving your house is something you want to avoid doing for a very long time after experiencing that.

***

  In the first lesson, well, my first lesson of the day, I couldn’t stop worrying about Beth and it was so hard to hide it seeing as I was sat right next to her. She was too quiet today; I hated it. Even the talk she gives me whenever I'm late was shorter than usual. I wanted to make her feel better so much, but how? I'm not even supposed to know what happened to her. Heck, I'm not supposed to know that anything has happened to her at all.

  “You okay?” I whispered, partly because the rest of the room was silent but also because I wasn’t sure I was ready for the answer she could give me.

  “I'm fine, how’s you?”

  Her voice was all shaky and the fact that she was in pain made me so angry. How could someone do that to her? Why would someone do that?

  “Same,” I muttered.

  I watched her as she got her phone out of her blazer and started to text Kyle, as soon as she saw me watching her, she tilted the phone away from me. I guess she doesn’t want me to know yet.

  “Have I missed much?” I asked her.

  “Not really.”

  How brief an answer can you give? Just talk to me Beth! Please.

  The door at the front of the room opened and we all stopped what we were doing at stared at it. Mr. Baker walked in. Crap, if he sees me he’ll want to know why I missed form. This is not good.

  “Has Mr. Mondale turned up yet?” I heard him ask our teacher in a hushed tone.

  “Oh, yes, he’s in now,” she smiled. “Zacky, Mr. Baker needs a word with you,” she shouted over to me.

  I nervously stood up and walked out of the door with him. He didn’t seem angry; he had more of a worried look on his face than anything.

  “Why weren’t you in before?” he hissed.