Chapter 7

Chapter 7

  I woke up to the sound of an alarm clock beeping away. For a split second I thought I was at home and I had no idea why I could hear an alarm. I've never used one and I don’t plan to either. Then I remembered that I was at Cole’s.

  I looked at the man who was lying next to me; he was rubbing his eyes and trying to wake himself up. My eyes drifted over to the clock. It was seven. Seven in the morning! We’ve only had like two hours sleep.

  I tried to dose off again as he got out of bed and got changed into a smart grey suit. My eyes kept flickering open again though because I’m one of those people who struggle to get back to sleep once they’re awake.

  Cole looked amazing in his suit but I was a bit surprised to see him in it because he doesn’t come across as the sort of man who works someone where they have to dress smartly. Maybe he’s a lawyer; maybe he’s a secret flipping millionaire!  Probably not, I sighed.

  “Good morning,” he whispered when he noticed I was awake, well, half awake. “Sorry if I woke you up.”

  “It’s alright,” I mumbled as I stretched out my arms and tried to fix my hair into place.

  “You look adorable in the morning.”

  I laughed at him, what was he on about?

  “I think you mean I look a mess!”

  “No I don’t. Your hair’s all flat and in your face and you just look so young and innocent...”

  “And tired,” I sighed.

  I looked in the mirror at the side of the bed. I suppose I don’t look too bad, but you can easily tell how little sleep I got last night.

  “I didn’t mean to keep you up so late,” he chuckled, “but you can’t say that it wasn’t worth it!”

  I smiled at him and groaned a little as I started stretching again and got out of bed.

  “Do you want anything?” he asked me. “A drink?  Some breakfast?”

  “Okay,” I whispered.

  “Your clothes are just over there,” he said, pointing to the pile of clothes on the chair in the corner of the room.

  “Thanks.”

  When he walked out I quickly flung my clothes on and tried to make myself look fairly presentable before going downstairs to meet Cole at the dining table in the kitchen.

  His house was really nice; I could tell he decorated it. The whole place had a warm welcoming feeling to it, but a hint of mystery too, just like him. The kitchen had abstract tiles on the walls and the table had a really colourfully patterned cloth across it.

  “You have a really cool house,” I complimented him.

  “Cheers,” he sighed as he passed me a cup of tea and a piece of toast.

  I looked up at the ceiling; it had little spot lights placed randomly around it, creating an amazing lighting effect across the room.

  “How are you feeling?” he asked me.

  “Tired,” I sighed.

  “Anything other than tired?” he asked me.

  “I can’t really explain to be honest. I'm too tired to put the words together.” He chuckled at me quietly.