Chapter 14

Chapter 14

  It was weird facing Jake after how he saw me yesterday, but he’s my mate so I’m going to do my best to not let it bother me: what other choice do I have? I can’t ignore him or act like it never happened; that’d only make him more suspicious.

  “Are you alright now?” Jake asked me in a hushed tone as we walked towards form with the gang.

  “Yeah, I just felt really... bad, you know?” I said, feeling the awkwardness of this conversation.

  “I guess we all have bad days,” he said unsurely. “Are you sure that’s all that got you like that yesterday?”

  I nodded at him as Kyle came in earshot.

  As you probably know, all of my friends are extremely nosey and they’re always trying to find out things that they don’t need to know. Like Kyle is now.

  “What?” Kyle asked as we both glared at him. “I'm just casually walking by. I'm not listening or anything like that.”

  “Sure you’re not,” Jay said sarcastically making me laugh a little.

  “I’d never do anything like that,” Kyle insisted but ended up laughing at himself. Even he didn’t believe what he just said!

  Kyle’s a bit different than most people. He has the image, the talk and the attitude that you need to stay at the top here, but he’s an idiot as well. He does really stupid things all the time, but no one cares when he does it because he’s, well, he’s Kyle. I can guarantee that if I ever did some of the things he does, the whole school would be talking about it and I’d never be able to live it down. I suppose only Kyle can get away with stuff like that.

  “So, are we doing anything tonight?” Kyle asked in a chirpy kind of voice.

  I’ve never had him down as a morning person so something must have happened to make him this lively.

  “A party! A club! I don’t know, how about...?” he shouted as he kept adding things to his list. Something’s definitely happened to him! No one’s this happy in the morning.

  “Kyle! Kyle” I said trying to calm him down. “You seem a little more hyper than usual,” I stated, using the voice that most people use when they talk to young children.

  “I had a good night,” he grinned.

  “SPILL!” Jay shouted, wanting to know everything.

  “It’s not like that,” he blushed. “I just had some fun, why does everything have to be dirty with you guys?” he hissed sounding embarrassed.

  “Aww, Kyle’s in love!” Jake joked; making Kyle hit him across the arm.

  Ouch, I thought as I imagined how painful a whack from Kyle would be. I feel for you Jay, I really do.

  “That hurt man.”

  “It was meant to,” Kyle grunted and walked quicker so he was ahead of us.

  When he walked off I knew something was wrong. First he was all happy in the morning! And now he’s having a strop because Jake was messing around with him. There’s obviously something wrong. I’ll have to talk to him later; as soon as we’re alone.

  In form I sat down next to Kyle, he didn’t look like he wanted to talk but I knew I’d be able to make him in the end. I don’t know how I’ll do it, seeing as he doesn’t usually get in a bad mood, but I’ll give it a go.