Chapter 40

Chapter 40

  “Don’t shout,” she begged. “I know that might sound weird but it’ll be a lot easier to say it’s yours than his.”

  There was a long awkward silence where I was just staring at her in shock and she was looking at me like she was regretting ever bringing it up.

  “Please say something,” she said in a small quiet voice.

  I blinked a few times and then took a deep breath as I tried to let all of this settle into my mind. She was raped by Mr. Baker, she’s pregnant and she wants to say I’m the dad. It’s a lot to take in really.

  “Are you being serious?” I whispered.

  “Yeah,” she sniffed. “You’re like my best friend and it’d be so much better if you were the dad.”

  “I’d be a crap dad,” I said, laughing a little but then going back to being serious. “You’re parents would kill me.”

  “No they wouldn't. You know my mum and dad love you,” she smiled. “After I tell them I’m pregnant, the only thing they’ll be glad about is if I said it was yours. Look, Zack, you’re by far the best boy I’ve ever brought home to meet them. They really like you.”

  I blushed a little when she said that and then smiled at her. Her parents do love me, but if they thought I got their daughter pregnant, their opinion would quickly change. We have a pretty good relationship at the moment and if they thought I’d done that they’d hate me.

  “Plus you’d be a great dad,” she said as she grabbed onto my hand and squeezed it tightly. “I won’t make you do everything for the baby; you can just act like a friend but people will think you’re the dad.”

  “So you’re saying that I won’t have to do anything and everyone will think I'm its dad? Do you realise how bad that’ll make me look? If I don’t help you I’ll be given hell for being a bad dad who doesn’t care for his kid!”

  “No one will think that Zacky,” she whispered. “And I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate. This is seriously my last option. If I want to keep this baby, I’ll need a name for the dad.”

  “Fine,” I mumbled.

  “Is that a yes?” she asked unsurely.

  “As long as we tell someone eventually, I’ll do it. But I'm kind of in a relationship and if they think I’ve cheated-”

  “We can tell her then,” she said. “As long as you think you can trust her.”

  She said her; perfect.

  “Everyone will be talking about us Beth,” I mumbled.

  “They’ll be talking about me not you. I’ll be the one who’s going to blow up to whale size; you don’t need to worry.”

  “Okay,” I whispered. “I don’t know,” I mumbled.

  “Please Zack. You know I wouldn't ask but I really want this baby and this is the only way I’ll be able to keep it,” she told me. “If my parents think I was raped they won’t let me have it because they’ll think I’d hate it because it’ll remind me of when it happened.”

  “I don’t know how to be a dad,” I moaned. “I’ll do something wrong.”

  “You won’t,” she insisted.

  I don’t think I can do this; I mean I’ve not had a good experience with my own parents; I wouldn't know what to do with a kid. Does anyone? I mean if it was actually mine I’d be able to manage but she wants me to pretend that Mr. Baker’s baby is mine. I’ll be the father of the man who’s raped me’s baby. I don’t think I can do that.