Chapter 4

Chester's POV

I sat at my piano, unable to concentrate. I kept thinking about Grace and how selfish I was being. I had realised that I couldn't just expect someone to alter their lives just because of me. This was a big sacrifice, and I shouldn't have put Grace on the spot like that.

As I thought, I heard Grace's car pull up and the jingling of keys at the front door.

"Ches?" She called. "I'm home."

I ran to her and just hugged her.

At first, she remained stiff, but she softened and rested her head on my shoulder. Her warm tears dripped onto my shirt.

I held her even closer, my face covered by her hair.

"I'm sorry about this morning. I didn't mean to just spring the whole baby thing up on you. I know it makes you uncomfortable, and I shouldn't have been so selfish." I still had her locked in my embrace. "I don't know what came over me."

"I'm sorry too. I should be able to talk to you about this. It's not fair that I'm depriving you of something you've wanted for so long." Grace sounded like she was about to cry. "You should find a women who'll have as many children as you want."

I turned Grace's head to face me and touched her cheek. "Grace, I would never leave you. It doesn't matter if we have kids or not. I want to grow old with you." A smile crept across her face.

I pulled her towards myself and kissed her. She wrapped her long arms around my neck and I felt complete again. I wouldn't want to be anywhere but here in her arms, even if that means I'll never have any children.

Suddenly she broke our embrace.

She looked straight into my eyes. " I want to have a baby. Your baby."

"What?" It felt like someone had thrown a bucket of ice cold water on me.. "Are you being serious?"

"Dead serious." She bit her lip and looked deeply into my eyes.

"Grace, you don't have to force yourself into this because of me." I reached for her hand and held it in mine.

"I'm not forcing myself. I'm giving you what you deserve. I want to do this. For you and for us"

"Thank you for this. You have no idea how much this means to me." I was getting slightly teary-eyed.

Grace's POV

I stopped taking my pill the next morning.

It felt bizarre to drink my coffee without taking the pill. It made me feel slightly uncomfortable and nervous, but when Chester walked in, all sleepy eyed, I felt reassured. Knowing that I was making him happy, comforted me.

"Morning," Chester grinned and sat down with me, taking a sip of the coffee I had made him.

I looked into his eyes, like a hopeful little girl. "I stopped taking the pill today." I bit my lip anxiously

"Oh god, Gracie, I can't believe this is happening." He placed his hand on top of mine and kissed me gently. "You have no idea how much this means to me."

I was visibly less enthusiastic than him, but he didn't really seem to notice, since he was so excited.

"I love you, Chester." I looked deeply into his eyes, still feeling anxious but happy to see him elated.

"I love you more than you'll ever know, and I can't wait to start a family with you." His eyes were alight with passion. I grinned at his expression. He was adorable when he was like this.

For the rest of the day, we cuddled on the couch and took silly snapchats whilst we binge watched Orange Is The New Black. I was content cuddled in Chester's arms. There were few places I'd rather be, especially when he was in this mood. He was a generally happy-go-lucky person, but since I had told him about my decision, he was over moon. I felt powerful, knowing that I was causing Chester's euphoria.

One week after that day, we had started to try for a baby, since research suggested that my body should've been back to it's regular routine and I could possibly become pregnant by then.

Chester was doing research on his laptop every morning, bringing home pamphlets from doctor's offices and clinics and reading the parenting articles in my magazines, and we didn't even know if I was pregnant. It was great to see him engaging so whole heartedly in something, but as I thought of the possible little life growing inside, it brought sinking feelings and kept me awake at night

I couldn't even relax with a beer or maybe a glass of wine, because Chester was afraid that if I was pregnant, I would be harming the barely-there foetus.

I was scared that if I wasn't pregnant, he'd be crushed. On the other hand, I was scared that if I was pregnant, I wouldn't be ready for a baby. Anxiety brewed in my brain.

What is happening to me?