Chapter 3

I heard an odd sound. It sounded like a rustle. It ruined my dream but I tried not to let it get me wide awake. I refused to open my eyes and I tried to fall back asleep.

I heard it again. It was a rustle. I opened my eyes and lifted my head up slowly. My vision was blurry because of my tired eyes. I blinked through the fuzziness and I looked around to see if anyone or anything was moving. But everything was perfectly still.

I heard it again. I crouched down in fear and crawled closer to Stormfly. I kept hearing the sound and then I saw something moving in the bushes. It was drifting further and further away. I had to see what it was.

I tried to wake up Astrid for help but she wouldn't budge. Then I stood up and glanced over at Hiccup. I was going to wake him up, but if he was awake, he would probably stop me from going after the rustle.

So instead, I grabbed my axe and walked into the forest alone.

I felt my hands shaking and my teeth gritting. I was really afraid, but I had to know what was making that noise.

I heard the rustle behind me. I turned around and firmly gripped my axe with both hands. I was ready to swing and prepared to run from whatever was about to happen.

I saw a figure. But it wasn't a human like figure. I looked closer. I saw 2 big yellow eyes. It must've been a dragon. What if it was the new species we came here for? I needed to tell Hiccup.

I turned around to walk back to camp. I heard footsteps getting close to me and felt the dragon breathing on my neck. My palms got sweaty and my heart rate went up. Was it going to eat me? No clue, but I wasn't going to find out.

I went running away. I was screaming to the top of my lungs for help and didn't even look back to see if the dragon was following me.

I ran back to camp and everyone was awaken by my yelling. I went by Astrid and caught my breath.

"Astrid there's something out there please help me please." I whined.

Everyone got up and crowded around me. I felt so uneasy and scared and I didn't like the attention around me.

Astrid stood up and hugged me. I was shaking like crazy.

"It's okay, Hadley. What ever it was its gone now I promise. There's no way it's gonna back here." Astrid said. She let go and put her hand on my shoulder.

"Hadley, what did you see out there?" Hiccup asked. I swallowed hard. "I don't know. I couldn't see it. I think it was a d-dragon." I said.

"Well what if it wasn't a dragon?" Tufnut said.

"I don't know, I saw b-big yellow eyes and a h-huge shadow. It came up behind m-me and I just ran away. I got too scared." I said.

"Did it look familiar in any way? We need to see if it's a different species." Hiccup said. "I only saw a sh-shadow with eyes." I said.

"A dragon scared my girl? NOW WAY! I am gonna get that dragon." Snotlout said lifting up his hammer. Snotlout began to march into the forest but Hiccup stopped him.

"No, we are going to do this together. *yawn* Hadley, where did you see it?" Hiccup asked.

"I don't remember." I said. "Ok, well come on, show us and you'll hopefully remember." Hiccup said. "Hiccup I can't, I-I'm too scared." I said.

"It's fine, I'll go check it out." Snotlout said. "Snotlout it's too dangerous." Hiccup said. "It's fine! I won't go that far and I'll yell if I see something." Snotlout said. "ok, but be careful Snotlout." Hiccup warned. "Ya, ya I know." Snotlout said.

While Snotlout was gone, they kept asking me to describe every detail I could. Toothless came and sat by me to give me a safer feeling. I was beginning to feel a lot more comfortable and less scared of the dragon. Well, if it was a dragon.

Snotlout came back. He clearly wasn't amused. "Whatever it was it's gone now. We're safe and there is no new dragon." Snotlout said sleepily.

"So now that we've accomplished that the dragon is gone, can I go back to sleep now?" Tufnut said. "Sure. Don't worry Hadley, it's not coming back." Hiccup said.

I nodded my head and went back to my sleeping spot. I used Stormfly as my pillow this time. As for Astrid. We talked for a little bit.

"So, you ok?" Astrid asked. "I'm a bit better." I said. "Good....Hadley? What's it like at Odin?" Astrid asked. I didn't know what to say. I had never been asked that before.

"Well, it's never quiet. Everyone is always doing something until the sun goes down. Whether it's building, hunting, or playing, we are always active. And there is always something new to see. Nothing is ever the same. We either add or take away something everyday. Everything is always changing and everything is unique and always....happy." I said excitedly.

I missed my village, I was worried about my father too. It's already been a day without him. I hope he is okay.

"That's really cool. I've always wanted to go there. Maybe you can take me there one day." Astrid said. "Ya, someday." I said. Astrid yawned and then said,"Ok, I'm gonna go back to sleep, if you need me, wake me up." "Ok, goodnight." I said to Astrid. "Goodnight." She replied.

I turned over. I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. The image of the shadow kept appearing in my head and I couldn't erase the thought of the dragon. I had to go back out there. What if we won't find it tomorrow? I had to see it before it was gone.

I waited for a bit and then looked over at the gang. Everybody was asleep. I slowly sat up trying not to wake up Astrid or Stormfly. Then I picked up my axe and tip toed back into the forest.

I stood in an open area and waited for the rustle. It wasn't long before I heard it. The sound was coming from behind me. I put my axe up ready to attack and then looked in the bushes for something suspicious.

I stepped closer and saw the two yellow eyes. Then the shadow. It got bigger-meaning-it was coming my way.

I wasn't as scared as I thought I was. But I was still super nervous. It kept coming closer. The chill of fear came back and tickled my spine. I had to think quick. What would Hiccup do? What would he do? The hand thing!

I put my axe down and stuck out my right hand. The dragon growled at me. "It's ok. Umm. I don't know what you are, but I won't hurt you if you won't hurt me." I said breathing heavily.

I kept my hand forward but stopped walking. The dragon stepped out of the shadow and into the moonlight. The dragon placed its head in my hand. The dragon looked just like Stormlfly. But it was purple.

I studied the dragon. It was a female. Looked exactly like Stormfly but with a purple body instead of blue. Her head was placed comfortably in my hand and I knew she wasn't going to hurt me.

"Good girl. Wow. This is incredible." I said. I took my other hand and patted her on the head.

She seemed to like it. I felt a smile growing on my face and I saw a smile forming on hers.

I slowly began to walk backwards. I kept my hand placed on her head and guided her to camp. I wanted to show her to the gang. But once she saw them she stepped back and then ran off. "No-wait! please!" I yelled. But she didn't listen.

She took off into the forest and I ran back. I couldn't find her. I kicked the grass and anger and saw the dust fly up. I fanned the dust away from my face and then I picked up my axe and walked back to camp.

Everyone was still sound asleep. I slowly sauntered past everybody until I was near Stormfly. I set my axe down in the grass and cushioned myself back into my grass bed. I didn't want to wake up Stormfly.

I used my hands as a pillow and then tried to remember the dragon. I tried to think of names but before I could find the perfect one, I had fallen asleep.