Chapter 18

I felt a hard hit on my back and rolled onto my stomach. Windspike was gone and I was on the wooden floor. It took me a second to realize it, but Snotlout had kicked me and woke me up harshly. And for no apparent reason whatsoever.

"Ow!" I whined. I pushed myself up with my hands and rested strangely on my side. "Get up." He said rudely. I whipped my hair and my bangs flew out of my face. I looked at him confused and infuriated. "Hiccup sent me to wake you up. He wants to start training early. Now let's go, Fishface made breakfast and we are all waiting on you." Snotlout said still nudging me with his foot. "Alright I'm up, I'm up." I said.

I shot up to a sitting position and glared at him with a trickle of frustration flowing through my veins. I shook loose and glared at him absently. Snotlout scowled and me and stomped ahead. He clearly wanted nothing to do with me. I just followed him to Fishleg's hut.

Snotlout sensed me behind him and he began to walk faster. He rushed through the door and shut it hard behind him. It slammed in front of me and startled me. I groaned and then opened the door. On my way in I gave him an intense scowl. He just mocked me and sat down.

"Hey Hadley, come sit." Astrid patted a seat next to her. I sauntered over and got comfortable in my chair. "How'd you sleep?" Tuffnut asked. "Pretty good." I said. "Good. Sorry about waking you up early, I want to get started on dragon training as soon as possible. We need to get you prepared for battle." Hiccup explained. "That's okay. Just don't tell Snotlout next time." I spoke, glaring at Snotlout. He just rolled his eyes, crossed his arms and slouched.

"Why not?" Tuffnut asked. "Mr. Manly over there thought it would be genius to kick me and wake me up." I hissed, faintly sarcastic. "Snotlout seriously?" Astrid moaned flailing her arms around for exaggeration. He just shrugged and snickered a little. "Breakfast is ready!" Fishlegs cheered.

He placed a plate of Lincoln berries, a slice of buttered bread and fish stew in front of us and then sat down. We all began to talk and dig in.

"So Snotlout, what's for dinner tonight?" Fishlegs asked, hitting in suspicion. "Dinner? Oh ya, dinner. Umm, well you see it all takes time to...come up with the perfect meal." He said confused. "Talent could help too." Ruffnut teased. "Ok I don't know yet but it's gonna be way better than this meal." Snotlout fussed, using his fork to exaggerate what he was saying. "We'll see about that." Fishlegs challenged.

Hiccup ate quick, I had never seen him eat so fast. He didn't speak, he just swallowed down his meal. He licked his lips clean and then spoke. "Alright, I'm finished and Fishlegs that was extremely good. Hadley, are you ready?" Hiccup asked quickly. "Ya, I'm ready." I told him. "Okay then let's go." He said standing up.

We both waved bye and then went to our dragons. Toothless was already loose and running around. Hiccup was getting him saddled up and prepared while I went to Windspike's pen. I unlocked the cage and guided her out. Hookfang began to whimper and look at me with his big dough eyes. I just stared at him.

I lead Windspike downstairs and then ran back up to visit Hookfang. I stuck my hand through the wooden bars and began to pet him. Dirt and slime was on his nose and the rest of his body. Obviously it had been a while since Snotlout had cleaned him. No surprise there. I took a quick glance around and saw no one in sight. I guess I had time to bathe him really fast. Maybe that'll make Snotlout happy? I'll try. Like Astrid said, make a kind gesture.

I ripped open Hookfang's pen and guided him towards the back where we kept the buckets of water and the brushes. I picked up a bucket and turned around. Hookfang was terrified. He began to shake a little. I tried to keep him calm so I gently poured water on him and began to scrub. I thought it would soothe him. But he roared and his body lit on fire. He began to breath fire as well while jumping around as if he saw an eel. No wonder Hookfang wasn't clean, apparently he only appreciates baths when Snotlout gives him one. And Snotlout is too lazy to clean him.

One of the pens sparked up and a small fire started. Thanks a lot Hookfang, I thought sarcastically. I took a little bit of water from the bucket and put out the fire. Now it was just smoking like crazy. Then I pet Hookfang to calm him down but he just got even more scared. Fire on his back got hotter and burned my hand. I dipped it in the bucket of water and Hookfang stared at me. He was ready to attack.

Before I could say or do anything, Snotlout came marching in. "What are you doing with my dragon?!" He called out, his throat straining with panic as he yelled. "Snotlout I am so sorry." I began. But then Hookfang turned around and glared at Snotlout. He took a breath of fire but Snotlout ducked and rolled. He pounced into Hookfang and firmly gripped his horns. Hookfang tried to shake him off but that was no challenge for Snotlout. He pinned Hookfang's horns to the floor and he began to relax. He just laid there with no fire flaring up.

Snotlout stood up and stuck his hand in the water. There was barely any left but he worked with it. He patted a burn on his arm with his watery fingers and then looked at me in disappointment. Hiccup came bursting in out of breath and in fear. "What happened? Are you guys okay?" Hiccup asked quickly. "Ask Hadley." Snotlout pouted. "What happened?" Hiccup asked worried.

But I was too nervous and embarrassed to even speak. Hiccup used that time of awkward silence to take a look around. He was bewildered by the sight. The floor was splashed with water with little bits of it burned. Two pens were smoking and the rest were containing the other frightened dragons. "I was gone for two minutes, how did this happen?" Hiccup asked in shock.

Hiccup stared at Hookfang and saw a small area with a clean shine. Then he eyed me.

"Did you try to clean Hookfang?" He asked. I dropped the brush and kicked it aside. "Don't even try that." Snotlout fussed. "Okay, well, yes...I did try to clean him." I said slowly. "Are you trying to kill yourself? There's a reason he's my dragon. He follows my orders and is under my control. When you clean him, you have to do it differently because of the way his skin is. Because of the fire, otherwise it burns." Snotlout explained. "Exactly. Hadley you can't take care of someone else's dragon. Hookfang is different and because his skin catches on fire it's more delicate." Hiccup added.

"I didn't know." I said shyly. "Well now you do." Snotlout moaned. Hiccup and Snotlout just stared at me and didn't know what else to say. I didn't either. I just ambled past them and went down by the water.

"What's her problem?" Snotlout asked when I was gone. "Just give her some space." Hiccup said. "I've tried that but she won't stay away. I mean, of course she's not because look at me. But now Hadley is just getting way too difficult to deal with. Are you really sure we should make her a dragon rider?" Snotlout asked. "Come on Snotlout we've all made mistakes like that before." Hiccup admitted. "But ever this often? I don't think so." Snotlout said. "Look, it's been a rough few days being away from home. And she didn't ask to come here, Toothless kidnapped her so technically it's our fault she's here. I still don't know why he did that though. I have to figure that out." Hiccup said stroking his non-existent beard. "Well while you do that, I'm going back to my hut." Snotlout pouted.

Snotlout locked up Hookfang and then stomped back to his hut, still keeping his hand on his burn.

While they were doing that, I was pacing back and fourth just talking to myself about how stupid I was. I've never been so lost.

Suddenly Windspike nudged at my back with her nose. "Hey girl." I said petting her. She made soft noises and then pulled away. She looked back at her saddle and then looked ahead. She
ruffled her wings and tail spikes and then looked back at me. Windspike was trying to take me home.

I bit my lip and looked back at the Clubhouse. No one was paying attention to me. I climbed onto Windspike and then told her to fly. She rose up quickly and flew extremely fast, trying to make sure we wouldn't be seen.

It was time to head back anyway, my dad was probably worried sick about me. And my mom's birthday is in two days, I needed to return home. It didn't really bother me that I wasn't a dragon rider anymore, of course I still wanted to be but at the same time I didn't belong. My place is in Odin with peace and familiar surroundings. I'm not cut out to be a dragon rider anyway. And besides, Toothless found me in the first place and it wasn't my choice to go. I was raised to make my own decisions so it's clearly not destiny...or is it?