Chapter 17

Once we all got inside, Snotlout, Fishlegs and the twins went sprinting by the fire. Astrid and Hiccup helped Stoick regain his balance and stand up. I just sat down by a newly installed window. They made it after Windspike burned that wall.

Once Stoick was capable of standing, he slowly sauntered over to me. He sat down beside me and studied me. "You alight?" He asked. I shrugged. "That's not a very good response. Now out with it. Tell me what's on your mind." Stoick pleaded. I hesitated to speak to the Cheif, but he had a right to know. "Well, I've just really been missing home. And my mom. Snotlout hasn't been making it easier. He's always starting an argument with me." I explained. "Well did you cause any trouble?" Stoick asked. "No, well, not really." I said. "Then it's already settled, Snotlout is just getting inside your head." Stoick said patting his helmet.

He had a point but I still felt out of place. "I guess." I said quietly. "And, you can go back to Odin whenever you feel. This isn't a prison Hadley, you don't have to stay." Stoick explained. "I know that, but I don't want to leave." I said. "Then you are welcome to stay." Stoick said. "It's just been a long few days, especially with my moms birthday coming up." I exclaimed. "Aye, I know what it's like. But when they can't be here to celebrate along side you, you can celebrate them." Stoick said.

I grinned a little bit. Those words of advice really helped me. "You're right. Thank you so much Stoick I really needed that." I smiled. "Anytime." He said patting my thigh. "Now, I'm going to check on the other Vikings, see how they're doing. If you need anything then let me know." Stoick said standing up gingerly. "I will." I replied.

He walked off to the Viking crowd and I glanced out the window. The snow was mostly water and there wasn't as much ice around Berk. I placed my hand on the window. It felt warm. I glanced over at the gang and said, "You guys, should we head back now?"

"Is the snow gone?" Hiccup asked. "Mostly, it's warm outside and everything." I told him. "I think we should head back, it's gonna be dark soon." Astrid said. "I agree, pack up everyone, we're heading back to the edge." Hiccup said.

We all sprinted to our dragons and hopped on. "Be careful Hiccup, you guys too." Stoick warned. "We will do our best." I teased. He chuckled and watched us fly off.

The cool air felt so refreshing. It was icy yet humid and the breeze made you feel so relaxed. We never get snow in Odin and I've only experienced it once. So this frosty air is all new to me.

The flight back was pretty talkative. "Aww this air feels amazing." I said leaning backwards and laying down. "I know right!" Astrid said. "It's so peaceful and I'm not all gross." She said putting her arms to the side, pretending like she was flying. "Ya, it does snow a lot here. I'm guessing not at Odin." Hiccup said. "Nope we get rain, if we're lucky." I exclaimed. "Can we fly around more? I wanna enjoy this." "Ughh would you stop talking about weather you're giving me a headache." Snotlout moaned. He was leaning on Hookfang's horns lazily. "How?" I asked sitting up. "You keep rambling about weather when it's really just air. It's not that interesting." Snotlout complained. "You try living in baking hot weather. This doesn't happen back home." I said. "Whatever." He hissed.

The truth is, I was so drowned and fascinated by the new weather and being brought back by memories that I forgot why I was so frustrated with Snotlout in the first place. I mean he saved my life, why should I be complaining? I didn't know why he was still so upset with me, but I was gonna somehow cheer him up.

"Geez someone's crabby." Astrid teased. "I'm not crabby, I just wanna be back at the edge. Now shut up." Snotlout complained. "Relax we are almost there." Astrid said.

It was dead silent for a few seconds and then the Dragon's Edge was in sight.

"See? It's right there. You can stop being all moody now." Astrid said. Snotlout just looked away and commanded Hookfang to fly faster. They zoomed ahead and were soaring back down to the edge.

"I don't know what his deal is lately." I complained. "Snotlout's just holding a grudge. That's just what he does." Fishlegs said. "Just give him some space, he'll cool down eventually." Hiccup said.

By this time, we had arrived that the edge. Snotlout was already marching to his hut, leaving Hookfang behind.

"That's rude. He shouldn't have just left Hookfang here." Astrid said. I went up to Hookfang and pet him a little bit. "Ya, I get he's mad but normally he takes Hookfang with him. Right?"
I asked. "True, but he clearly just wants to be alone." Hiccup explained. "I guess." I frowned.

Astrid looked around and noticed the sun. "Hadley, it's sunset. We're gonna head up to the Clubhouse, meet us there when it's over." Astrid said. I nodded and went down to my usual sunset watching spot by the cliff. Astrid lead the gang and their dragons upstairs to the Clubhouse while I watched the sunset.

I felt like the sunset got prettier each day it got closer to my moms birthday. The clouds were more sheer and structured and the colors were more vibrant. It was an amazing sight to behold.

I talked to my mom a little and when the sun was gone, I stood up and started to head to the clubhouse.

When I had arrived, I saw the gang snacking on a few biscuits and passing around a sack of nuts. "Hey! Save some for me!" I laughed. I sat down by Astrid and she jokingly hugged the bag of nuts. "Astrid!" I giggled. Her mouth was stuff with nuts and she kept the bag away from me. "You little hogger pass me the nuts!" I yelled playfully. The gang began to laugh and watch attentively. Astrid shook her head no in a silly way and I leaned over to grab them. I climbed on top of her trying to grab the sack. She tried to keep them away from me and we playfully fought for it. "Hey! Astrid!" I kept laughing. "My food!" She said with her mouth stuffed.

I finally snatched the sack and tugged hard and had successfully stolen the bag. "Ha!" I cheered. "Hey!" She giggled. Everybody laughed and we passed around the food. I dug into the bag of nuts. They were salty and tasted a bit like sunflower seeds. "Snotlout's missing out." Tuffnut said. "Ya, that crybaby." Ruffnut added. "And he still has to make dinner." Fishlegs said. "Now that's something to look forward to." Astrid laughed.

Once we were full, we decided to crash in the Clubhouse. We all used our dragons as pillows and went to sleep.

After a few minutes, I woke up abruptly. I still felt drowsy but I didn't think I could fall back asleep. I opened my eyes and I was facing the water. I blinked away the fuzziness and took a deep awakening breath. I took this time to relax and think for a bit. I thought a little about Snotlout and realized I needed more advice, and sleep. But I wouldn't be able to sleep unless someone helped me out.

"Astrid? You asleep?" I asked. She turned over. "Not anymore." She said. "I'm sorry, did I wake you up?" I asked nervously. "Ya but you're good. So what's going on?" Astrid asked. I shrugged and fiddled with my skirt-avoiding eye contact.

"Hadleyyy." Astrid said extending my name. "Yes." I said. "I know you better than that. Let me guess, Snotlout?" She questioned. I nodded awkwardly. "What is it about Snotlout you are thinking of?" Astrid asked. "Just about why he's so angry all the time and why he is still mad at me." I told her. "Well do you wanna be mad at him?" Astrid asked. "No." I said. "Then find a way to show him you're not mad. Make it up to him or something. Just make him feel wanted or important to you." Astrid suggested. "That's a really good idea. I'll try that." I cheered. Astrid laughed. "Good." She said. I began to yawn.

"Ok you're really tired, you need to go to sleep." She told me. "Ok fine. Goodnight Astrid." I said weakly. "Goodnight." She replied. I felt my body getting weaker and my thoughts getting more vivid and intense. That was the last thing I remembered that night.