Chapter 28

I opened my eyes slowly, awakening from what felt like a blackout. I had seen people moving around and setting up more detailed decor.

I sat up weakly and blinked my vision to clarity. I glanced ahead and saw Snotlout. He was filling my mom's wagon with orchids, roses, and pansies, just like promised.

I pushed myself up and balanced out. I sauntered over to Snotlout. He was deep in concentration. I stood behind him, closer to his right shoulder. I playfully tapped his left shoulder with my index finger. He spun around to his left to see who it was and I jerked around to his right. He quickly twisted his head right and caught me.

"Clever." He said mockingly.
"Need help?" I asked.
"Not really, I got it. But your dad is looking for you."
"Alright, where is he?"
"In the house I think."
He nodded his head toward my house. I didn't bother to say bye, I just wandered over to the house.

"Dad?" I called out before opening the door.

Then I lifted my hand and twisted the doorknob. "Daddy? Are you-" I was instantly cut off by the sight. My dad stood behind a short wooden table that was sitting only inches from the door. On it was a vanilla frosted cake with edible orchids placed on it. There was a pink description on the cake that stated, "Happy Birthday Eartha."

I cupped my hands over my mouth and felt a lump forming in my throat. The cake was so heart warming.

My dad lifted his hands out around the cake as if to say "Ta da!"

I circled the table until I met up with my dad and hugged him. He sniffed a little and whispered, "She'd be so proud of you, pumpkin." I squeezed him tighter and replied," She'd be proud of you too, daddy."

I pulled away and wiped the single tear that I hadn't realized dripped from my eyes. My dad sniffed again and faked a smile.

"Help me carry it out." He said. I slipped my hands under the plate and cautiously carried the cake through the door. I rested it on a table that was neatly decorated with flowers, streamers and pictures. I placed the cake right in the center and licked any icing that rubbed onto my fingers.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught Hiccup running towards me. I put my hands by my sides and faced him.

"Hey, it turned out nicely. You did a great job setting this up." He complimented.
"Thank you, it wouldn't have looked this way without you." I replied.
He flashed a smile.
"So what now?" He asked.
"We actually get to the part where we celebrate her birthday. Call a gathering." I stated.
"Gathering?"
"Just bring everyone over here."

Hiccup obeyed and ordered villagers to meet by the cake. Astrid came strolling over to me. She wrapped her arm around my neck and twirled my hair with her fingers.

"You did it ya nugget." She joked.
"But you helped." I said, slouching so that her hand could slip from my shoulder. Astrid shrugged at my compliment.
"You did." I said, urging my compliment.
"I guess. Everyone's coming, stand up straight." She ordered so suddenly.

I held my hands together behind my back and stretched my neck up, trying to show posture. My dad lingered beside me and pat my back firmly.

"Time for the toast kiddo, you do the talking this year." He stated.

I clammed up. Speaking? In front of everyone? That was a living nightmare. I couldn't do it. I toyed with my sweaty palms.

"I can't." I whispered, my voice hallow.
"Pumpkin you'll be speaking about your mother and you already say so much around us. Besides, I know there's so much you want to say in that little head of yours. Speak out honey." He pleaded.