Chapter 24

"Where is everyone?" Stoick asked. "They're all inside eating dinner, you're welcome to go in if you want." I suggested. "I'm going to go see everyone, you're welcome to come Axel." Stoick offered. "I'm gonna stay out here for a bit." My dad said. Stoick nodded his head and then opened the door the hut. He stepped inside and closed the door behind him.

"Hadley, I want to talk to you about your mother's birthday." I hadn't forgotten, in two days it was my mothers birthday. I was hiding my excitement all day. "Yes! What about it?" I tried to sound relaxed but I didn't have to hide my excitement in front of my dad.

"I'm thinking we surround Odin with rose, orchid and blue oleander flower pedals and-"
"Daddy, dragons are allergic to blue oleander." I slouched and lowered my head.
"That's alright, we can use bluish pansies instead." He smiled. My dad already predicted we would bring our dragons to celebrate on Odin.

"So we will cover Odin in orchids, roses and pansies." My dad cheered.
"And put streamers all over the houses!" I added.
"And put out cakes and yak buttered melts, parfaits, cakes, treats!"
"And transport them on her wagon!!" My dad and I kept blurting out ideas on end, determined to make it all happen.

"We have to tell them, and get everyone prepared!" I laughed. I grasped my father's hand and pulled him along as we ran inside. I burst through the door with a smile on my face and my eyes watering with tears of joy.

"Hey, what's going on?" Fishlegs asked. "So I think you all know my mom's birthday is in two days, right? Well we are throwing a big celebration on Odin like we do every year and you're all invited and we need your help to set up!!" I blurted out. Hiccup stood up and laughed. "Of course we'll help. Ahh this is amazing! It's gonna be incredible!" Hiccup said, he was really happy for me.

"Yeah! And with our dragons they can definitely help set up!" Astrid added, also standing. "And I can cook!" Fishlegs announced, once again, standing. I spun around and looked at my dad, he was so thrilled. "Ahh this is gonna be amazing, Hadley!" Axel shouted. "I know!" I replied.

While laughing and cheering, Snotlout was glancing through the window, a huge smile on his face. He was truly happy for me.

For a little while longer we planned on a few more decorations, games and party plans. In mid-speaking, my father yawned. "That's right I forgot, you need to go home." I told my dad. My dad shook his head. "It's fine Hadley, really." He said.

"No, we can fly you back to Odin." I offered. "Or you can stay with me on Berk." Stoick suggested. "That's such a kind offer but it might be better for me to go back to Odin and get the people alert about the celebration." My dad said. "Ok but we need to get you a ride home." I said.

I guided my dad towards the pens. Everyone else followed. Snotlout was already there, tinkering with the cages. Hiccup slapped his hand and then unleashed the dragons from their cages. I greeted Windspike with a great big hug and then climbed on, assisting my dad on to her as well.

Once my dad was situated on Windspike and Stoick was seated on Toothless, my dad asked,"Stoick what about the ships? We can just leave them here."
"It's fine, they'll last the night." Stoick said. "I wouldn't be so sure." Ruffnut said.
"She's right, look ahead, there's a huge storm coming in." Tuffnut added.

We glanced forward. Lightning streaked the sky from swarming purple and black clouds. It wasn't too far out and it was moving quickly. "We better do this fast." Hiccup stated. "Make the dragons fly as fast as possible, we need to hurry considering we need to get to Odin and back." Snotlout said. Snotlout was clearly trying to be polite, but mistrust still itched at me. "Funny how that's the one nice and logical thing Snotlout has said all night." Astrid teased.

Suddenly, the dragons took off, flying at top speed. The wind flew in my face so harshly it was difficult to see. Luckily I was aware of my surroundings and Windspike could see where she was going. The moonlight reflected on the water like a giant mirror of light, it assisted our view.

We were flying over a few sea stacks, plateaus and rocks. We had to keep high to avoid crashing into them.

Time was running out, the haunting clouds had swarmed above us, blocking the moonlight making it nearly impossible to see. But then, lightning struck. Came lashing down, nearing hitting Toothless. "Whoa! Careful bud. Everyone, fly faster! Go!" Hiccup cautioned. The dragons picked up speed while trying to dodge lightning. Thankfully the lightning helped us see.

Unfortunately if we flew too low we'd hit a sea stack but if we flew too high we would be roasted. Windspike just tried to avoid going up and down and instead would jerk side to side.

Out of nowhere, a orange streak came down in front of me and Windspike. But it wasn't lightning, it was a dragon. It whined and sheered past us. Windspike eyed him and remained in her spot until he hit a large and flat sea stack. We heard a large thud, and it wasn't the thunder. "Windspike, fly down there now." My father demanded. "Dad no." I said. "Please Hadley." He begged.

I groaned and then Windspike lashed sideways. "Hadley, what are you doing?" Hiccup shouted. "You're gonna get killed!" Astrid added. No matter the hesitation, they followed us.

We reached a rock but we saw no sign of a dragon. "Windspike, give me a low burn." Windspike's jaws extending wide open and an orangy, yellow light lit up at least ten feet in sight. Windspike jumped from rock to rock, light helping us search.

We saw a wounded Timberjack, three sea stacks over. Windspike hopped over to it. "Stop! Timberjacks are incredibly dangerous." Hiccup warned. He landed behind us right after that. "It could be dead, Hiccup and we can't just leave it here if it's not." I told him. Hiccup was stuck silent.

Axel jumped off of Windspike and leaped over to the Timberjack. He rested his right knee on the ground and used his other one to hold himself up. "Daddy!" I shouted. Hiccup tried to warn my dad, "Axe-" Stoick cupped his hand over Hiccup's mouth. "Shh. Don't startle the dragon...watch." Stoick said softly.

My father placed his hand on the dragons long neck and slowly inched closer to its head. The timberjack was breathing slowly but deeply.

"Daddy please be careful." I warned. The dragons eyes opened, they were droopy while staring. The dragon hissed at my dad but didn't lift its head, it was too weak. Axel began inspecting the dragon, he noticed a dark gash on the timberjack's back.

"He's wounded, been struck by lighting." Axel announced softly. The timberjack growled but my dad didn't move. He patted the timberjack's head and then gently rubbed the wound. He treated the dragon just as kindly as he treated me as a baby.

"We have to help him, what do we do?" Axel was clearly attached to the dragon. "Hadley, pass me some food please." I didn't have food made for dragons, but I had a few squished vegetables and berries in Windspike's saddle bag. I slipped my hand into the bag and pulled out a few Lincoln berries, cabbage pieces, and carrots. I jumped off of Windspike and skipped over to my father. I crouched down next to him and set the food in his hands. He slowly reached his hand towards the dragon, he stuck his other hand under the dragons head and lifted it up. My dad leaned his hand towards the timberjack's mouth. He snarled at my dad, flashing its needle like teeth. But my dad didn't stop. He leaned his hand even closer and raised his head higher. "Please, you need energy." My dad spoke to the dragon softly and clearly. The timberjack swallowed some saliva down and licked his lips. He extended his head forward and nibbled on the food, soon more and more disappeared from my dad's hand.

You could hear the berries squish in the timberjack's mouth and he chewed incredible slow. It took him a while but eventually he swallowed and rested his head back on the ground.