Chapter 27

After a whole day of decorating and organizing, everyone either had hands on knees or were already in bed asleep.

It had been of long day with only five minute breaks every hour. But tomorrow it would all be worth it. It was a great day, the villagers all made peace with our dragons, including the Chief. He had awakened for only a few minutes to take a look around.

All day I had been so concentrated on decorating, I had never realized the sun had already set and that the sky had began to grow dark. I was a little disappointed I missed another sunset, but I knew I missed it for something better.

While decorating, a few tears were shed. Everyone knew and loved my mother and ever since her passing no one has forgotten her. Her birthday has become a yearly celebration.

Flying back to the Edge or even to Berk seemed pointless, as well as Gustav's flight home. So we decided to crash on Odin. We were offered beds or a sofa in villagers homes but to us we decided resting outside would be better for everyone. Besides, putting Gustav or the twins in a home with a villager would not be a smart idea.

So we all curled up in the center of Odin, resting on grass and side by side with our dragons. Snotlout was to my left and Astrid was to my right. Astrid fell asleep quickly. Her legs were were curled up, her hands were her pillow and her back faced me. Gustav fell asleep immediately after Astrid. Then the twins and next Fishlegs. Hiccup yawned but still tried hard not to show he was tired.

"You can go to sleep, you know." I told him. "Are you sure? I'd rather you not be up all night." Hiccup replied.
"I won't be. Come on Hiccup your exhausted just go to bed so you won't be lousy tomorrow."
Hiccup nodded absently but still sat with his tired eyes open.
"I'll be fine, now sleep." I begged him.
"Alright." He groaned. "And by the way, good job today. Hopefully the hard work paid off and won't be pointless tomorrow."
"It won't be and thank you for all of your help."
"Anytime. Don't...be up...late. Goodnight...Hadley." He mumbled weakly.
"G'night." I said.
Hiccup turned over so his back faced me. His arms were crossed in front of him and his knees were slightly bent.

I took in a long breath and stared at the stars. I exhaled longer than usual and took a moment to relax. I had assumed everyone was asleep, but Snotlout was wide awake. Both arms were behind his head and he was perched against a boulder.

"You asleep?" He whispered.
"Me?" I asked.
"Ya."
"No."
There was a slight pause of silence.
"You excited? For tomorrow?" Snotlout asked.
"Ya, it's gonna be fun."
Snotlout only nodded.
"Are we good?" He asked.
"What?"
"Are we good?"
"What do you mean?"
"We still never really forgave each other."
"Ya that's because you've been pretty churlish since I spoke with Astrid in the woods." I crossed my arms, he didn't seem to notice.
Snotlout chuckled a little.
"Don't remind me." He teased.
"It's true, ever since that day you've been incredibly belligerent."
"Using extensive vocab I see."
"Just go to sleep okay I'd rather not be bothered."
Silence set between us like a thick and eerie fog that wouldn't vanish.
"Why do you ask?" I questioned.
"Ask what?"
"Ask if we are good."
"I don't know. I just...miss you, I guess."
I felt my checks get hot.
"Miss me? I never left." I explained.
"Not that way you idiot. I meant, I miss us actually talking to each other and messing around." He stated.
"You mean desperately flirting with me and getting beaten down by Astrid?"
"Exactly."
I giggled a little at the statement. It sounded more like an exhale. Snotlout sat up.
"What I mean is that I miss us actually being friends and doing what we used to." I sat up too. I never really realized he wasn't that far from me. Then Snotlout began to scoot closer to me. He inched closer and closer until his shoulder brushed mine. He looked at me, his face was less than a foot away from mine. His blue eyes were shinning like crystals in the moonlight.
"I know you're thinking I'm exaggerating and probably going on a speech, but I mean what I'm saying." He spoke.
"We're always gonna be friends even if we fight Snotlout. You know that." I told him. Then I looked ahead, breaking eye contact.