Chapter 9

Hiccup kept informing me about Tidal class dragons. I was writing facts about Scauldrons when my eyes began to wander towards the sun. I couldn't help it. I looked ahead and noticed the sun was setting. I stopped writing and I put the writing stick down. Hiccup glanced at me to see what I was staring at. Then he eyed the sunset and knew what was going on. He began to stand up.

"I'm gonna leave you alone. Come to dinner when your ready." Hiccup said. Then he turned around and walked off.

I closed the Book of Dragons and placed it on my lap. I folded my fingers together and rested my hands on the book. Then I began to talk to my mom.

"Hey mom. Umm. Hope your...day was good. I'm having a lot of fun here. Thank you for letting this happen. I just hope dad's ok. Please take care of him. And I hope that you're okay too. I really miss you mommy. I bet you're happy and strong as ever. And mom, please make sure that I'll be happy here and that this is gonna be a good night. Hopefully the food tastes better than what grows on Berk and Odin. I love you mom." I spoke. I could feel my eyes tearing up but I forced myself not to cry. I swallowed away the burning tears in my throat and rubbed my eyes to prevent crying.

I watched the last bit off the sun sink into the water and then laid down. My back was supported by the grass and my eyes were set on the sky. I watched the vibrant colors fade into cooler and more relaxing colors. Pink, orange and yellow were smearing together with the dark blues and purples.

Anyway, I picked up the Book of Dragons and stood up. I gripped the corners of the cover and pinned the book to my chest. I walked back to the Clubhouse and examined the room to see if anyone was there. No one was. I sauntered over to a corner. I brushed the dust away and I carefully placed the book down. Then I trailed down the stairs and over to Fishleg's hut.

When I got there, I knocked on the door and stepped inside. Everyone was already gathered at the table. Fishlegs was making final touches on the meal and Astrid patted the seat next to her.

I walked over to her and sat down. I was squished between Snotlout and Astrid but at least I was capable of moving my arms.

"Hey Hadley, how was the sunset?" Hiccup asked. "Good." I said smoothing my skirt. "Fishlegs, would you hurry up? I'm starving!" Snotlout moaned. "If the twins didn't mess up my meal the first time then I would've been done by now." Fishlegs complained.

The twins chuckled a little bit. "Aaaaaaanndddd.....Finished!!" Fishlegs shouted. "Yes! Finally!" Snotlout cheered with his arms extending up in the air.

Fishlegs took the food and settled it onto our plates. He had made some yak sandwiches with some fresh berries on the side. My mouth was watering at the sight of my plate and my tastebuds started to tingle. I began to dig into my meal.

Everyone else mimicked my behavior. Fishlegs remained standing and was impatiently waiting for us to tell him how it tastes.

"Wow, this is really good." Snotlout said. "Ya, this is probably the best meal I ever had." Astrid said. Fishlegs did a little cheer and then picked up a plate and sat down.

"Does everyone like it?" He asked. Everyone had something positive to announce about the meal. We all shouted it at once. "This tastes ten times better than the food that grows on Berk." Hiccup said shoveling food into his mouth. "Ya, the food there is tough and tasteless." Tuffnut said with his mouth full. Fishlegs was probably getting overdosed with happiness.

"Ya it's really good Fishlegs. Great job." I said. Fishlegs blushed a little bit. He loves knowing his food tastes great. Unfortunately, Snotlout wasn't pleased. If anything he was jealous. And knowing Snotlout there just had to be a competition.

"Well uh...I've tasted...better." He said. Everyone stopped where they were and glanced at Snotlout. "Where?" Ruffnut asked.

Snotlout was quiet for a second but then he continued. "I've...m-made...better." He said. "Really Snotlout?" Hiccup said rolling his eyes. "Ya, that's not gonna work." Fishlegs added.

"No seriously. And it will taste way better than Fish face's meal." Snotlout said. "Really? Well then, maybe one night you should cook for us." I said.

The gang had instantly hatched a plan. They glanced at each other and exchanged mischievous grins. "Ya, why don't you make dinner for us tomorrow night Snotlout." Astrid said. She shoved food into her mouth to try and hide her smile.

"Well....ya...I will make dinner." Snotlout said standing up. "You'll see, my food will taste, amazing." He said smashing his fist on the table. Then Snotlout marched to the door and slammed it behind him. He stormed off to his hut and didn't even think about coming back.

"Wow he's really upset." I said concerned. "He's fine, he's just desperate for attention." Astrid said. "I guess you're right." I said. "I mean come on its Snotlout. We all know he's obsessed with winning." Ruffnut said. "And starting competition." Astrid added.

But after that, we stopped gossiping about Snotlout and finished out meals. We licked out plates clean and prepared to go to bed. "Ok, I'm going to sleep. See you guys tomorrow." Hiccup said walking out. "Same." Astrid said. "Come on Hadley, you're staying in my hut tonight."

"Okay, but I'm gonna help clean up. I'll meet you there." I said. "Okay, see you there." Astrid said. Then she walked out the door with the twins trailing behind. Then they all split up and plodded to their huts.

I went over to the table, picked up the plates and placed them all on a smaller table meant for cleaning. Fishlegs did the same. It was a back and fourth process and we talked while doing it.

"Hey, thanks for helping me clean up." Fishlegs said. "No problem, I'm used to cleaning." I explained. "You're used to cleaning?" He asked. "Ya. Well, ever since my mom passed away, my dad needs a hand around the house. So I help clean and work around Odin." I explained.

"Thats so cool. It must be tiring." Fishlegs said. "A little bit. My mom did a lot around Odin and I have to take her cleaning spot." I said. "Oh. Once again I'm sorry for you're loss, Hadley. It must be hard not having a parent." Fishlegs said. That last comment hit me. I was frozen. But then I took a deep breath and continued. "It is but I know she will always be there to help me when I need her." I said. "Ya, and you have your dad. What's he like?" Fishlegs asked.

It meant a lot that Fishlegs really cared about my life and what goes on around Odin. I really need to take these guys there one day.

"He's very helpful. He can be pretty intimidating at first because really tall and buff. So it's not a good first impression. But once you get to know him he's really sweet." I said. "That's really cool, is he Cheif?" Fishlegs asked. "No but I think he might become chief soon because he's been a big help around Odin. The leading rules are different at Odin. You get crowned chief of your a help to the village. But at Berk, you have to be the son of a chief. Didn't I explain it earlier?" I asked.

"I think you did. That's so fascinating." Fishlegs said. "Yep. Is that the last plate?" I asked getting off task. "I think so, thanks Hadley." Fishlegs said. "No problem. I'm gonna go to bed. See you tomorrow." I said walking to the door. "Goodnight." He said. "Goodnight." I replied.

Then I closed the door behind me and hiked over to Astrid's hut.

When I saw her, she was leaning against Stormfly and looking up at the stars. Windspike was there too, she was resting right next to Stormfly. "Hey, come sit." Astrid said. I ambled over to Windspike and greeted her before I laid down on her.

"Hey." I said getting comfortable. "Isn't it amazing?" Astrid asked. "What?" I asked. "The sky. It's so pretty at night." Astrid said. "Ya it's really amazing." I said looking up at the stars. There was silence for a minute but then Astrid spoke again.

"So, do you like it here?" She asked. "Ya everything is so cool and so different." I said. "Good different, right?" Astrid asked. "Ya, it's good." I said back. Astrid yawned and then said,"I'm gonna go to sleep. I'll talk to you in the morning, goodnight." She said. "Goodnight Astrid." I replied.

I pet Windspike and whispered, "Goodnight Windspike." Then I turned over and closed my eyes. A wave of sleep took over me after that.