Inconvenient

"Tyler" I whisper through the air vent.

His body stirs a little.

"Tyler?" He groans. "Sorry to- uh- disturb?"

"What?" He asks.

"Why are you here? In, you know, this institute?"

"Same reason as you."

"And that is?"

He sits up and thinks about it. "In the long run I dunno."

"Are you planning on escaping?"

"Maybe."

"Do you wanna try and escape and get out this situation together?"

"Maybe."

I remove the grate and lean out a little. "You seem strong enough to fight a few people."

"I only show half my strength when Im with Mikey."

"I hope so. Im learning to match him. Maybe we could leave soon?"

"It depends."

"Why?"

"Wednesdays are soup days and this week is tomato soup."

I give him a look. "What?"

"It was a joke! It was a joke! I want to get out of here pronto. Do you think Id actually want to stay?"

I chuckle.

He opens his mouth to talk.

"Why were you screaming recently?" I cut in.

"Dreams, maybe. Maybe something else. There are many things to be afraid of, Seven."

"Youre right. Well, be ready for tomorrow. Attempt one at escaping."

"Attempt one?"

"Bye Tyler."

I lean back up in the vent and he stands up. I close the vent before he can climb in with me and start backing up to my room.

Im barely able to close the vent before Gerard enters the room.

"Seven, its time for a check up."

I jump off my bed and onto the floor, following Gerard. He seems shocked that I jump from such a height. Old Seven could barely climb a hill before passing out. "Have you thought about the proposition?"

Theres a large silence. "I have thought."

"And?"

"Just wait a second."

We turn into his check up room and he shuts and locks the door before climbing on his chair. I stare as he starts touching the corner and twisting something.

"Okay, that should be the only camera..."

He steps down and takes my hands, I almost flinch back. I should be running, he turned me in to this hell.

"Seven. Tomorrow night Ill take night shift and Ill take you and drop you in New Jersey." 

"And Tyler."

"Fine. I cant join you, Ive got to flee. Once they know what Ive done, theyll want to kill me so Ill be on the run." My mouth drops open and everything feels like it makes a bit more sense. He actually likes me.

"Youll join us eventually, right?"

"I dont know, Seven."

"Gerard..."