Chapter 17

"So, how's Caroline," Stefan asks, sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace.

"Why do you ask," he starts to get a little angry.

"It was just a question," he holds his hands up in surrender.

Klaus relaxes a little. Damon looks down at Kat, who is frowning a little at Klaus. She's wondering why he's so tense about Caroline. She notices Damon looking at her, they smile at each other.

"You two are too cute," Klaus says without any emotion.

Kat giggles. Then her face straightens.

"What," Damon asks.

"When do I go home?"

"I don't know," he looks at the burgundy carpeting that engulfs the whole room.

She sits up and turns to look at Damon, "what if Tyler goes after Courtney?"

"Who is Courtney," Stefan asks.

"She's my best friend," she looks to Stefan with a worried look on her face.

"So, who cares," he sneers.

"Damon, she was there for me, when no one else was," she says, not really yelling. Her throat stills hurts from the loud screaming.

"And, I'm here for you now," he tries to hold her hand, but she pulls away.

She gets up from the couch, "I'm gonna go upstairs," she quickly smiles and goes upstairs.

"You should go check on her," Klaus suggests.

"No, you should let her cool down," Stefan suggests.

"There's nothing for her to cool down for, that wasn't even a argument," Klaus gestures toward Damon, "you heard what he said, it was kinda messed up."

"I'm right here," Damon mutters.

"Get your ass up there Damon, or I'm going to kill you," Klaus yells.

"Whatever," he gets off the couch and walks upstairs to his room. Kat is laying on the far right side of the bed, looking out the window. Damon goes over to look out the window. He sees the huge tree in the backyard where him and Stefan used to play football. They had a lot of fun, back when they were human.

"I'm sorry," he turns around to look at her, but she's not looking at him. He kneels down next to her, "I know Courtney means a lot to you."

She looks at him this time, "Then why'd you say that," she asks.

"She's just...," he trails off. He gives up on trying to finish the sentence. He holds her hand, "I will take you home today, or, whenever you want me to. I'll make sure your place is a... safe-zone. Okay?"

She breathes in, "okay."

"Do you forgive me," he squints his eyes, bracing for a 'no'.

"Yes, I forgive you," she laughs at his face.

He smiles and kisses her on the cheek. "So, when do you want to go home?"

"Would right now be okay,"she asks.

"Yeah, of course," he helps her off the bed, "lets go."

______________________________________________________________________

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. It's 9:30 and I have to take the STAAR test tomorrow. Yes STAAR, I live in Texas. I hate it here, so cold, but then so hot. I used to live in Germany, but it was colder and hotter than it is here. But I still miss it. Comment what you think I should write about next, I'll even put you in it if you follow and vote!! I'm serious.