One | Bored

[ L u k e ]
{edited}
-

Luke Hemmings, as always, was completely bored out of his mind. Tapping his pencil against his desk, he stared blankly at the boring walls of his boring classroom and tried his best to ignore the boring sound of his boring history teacher. He was mentally cursing at himself for forgetting his earphones at home for the third time that week. How else was he supposed to keep himself busy? By learning? Luke didn't think so.

He had already been taught everything he needed to know last year, but because his mom absolutely insisted that Luke going to an actual high school for his last year would be a good idea, Luke was stuck inside of a classroom containing boring people, boring posters, and a very boring Mr. Baltowits.

Luke was yet to find somebody or even something that interested him. Everybody was just so normal. As if they'd never had an out of the box idea or even an original one before. Luke was filled with originality and ideas, he simply had no one to share them with, except of course his mom who he'd been forced to spend every day of his life with.

Ever since he was little, Luke absolutely dreaded going to school. He practically begged his mother to homeschool him, so she, being a teacher already, decided to do just that, even if it meant she'd have to give up her free time.

Luke loved it. He loved spending time with his mom and going to sleep whenever he wanted. He loved going on tumblr and video chatting people from across the country. He loved to play the guitar on his roof at five in the morning just so that he could watch the sunrise and then finally go to sleep. He loved being free.

Luke hated school. He didn't like waking up at six o'clock every morning to see that the sun had already risen and he'd missed all of the beautiful colors it created. He didn't like the blank stares and shrugs that he would get every time he tried to talk to someone. He didn't like the feeling of being trapped and invisible.

Luke felt like if he just stood up and left, no one would even notice, so that was what he did.

"Luke, where are you going?" Mr. Baltowits asked, seeing the blonde haired boy standing up from his desk.

"Uh, bathroom?" Luke said, his voice slightly shaking, but the teacher didn't seem to notice.

"Okay, whatever," he sighed, brushing him off.

Luke smiled to himself, happy that he'd actually reached the hallway without getting in trouble. Now, he just had to leave the school somehow without anybody noticing.

Luke walked down the corridor until he found the front door of the school. He glanced at the office window, seeing nobody at the front desk.

"Strange."  he thought to himself, but saw it as his chance to leave.

Luke pulled the front door out in front of him and stepped outside, immediately feeling a cool breeze against his cheek. But what was that smell? Curious, he turned his head and saw the woman that was meant to be at the front desk leaning against the brick wall with her lips around a cigarette.

"Shit," Luke cursed under his breath.

"Shit!" the woman said at the same time, immediately putting the cigarette out upon seeing Luke.

The next thing he knew, Luke was being forced to sit down in an uncomfortable office chair for the rest of the day. The only reason he hadn't gotten in more trouble was because it was his first offense, and Nancy, the office lady, really didn't want anybody to know that she was smoking cigarettes again.

When Luke asked her why she was smoking cigarettes again, Nancy rolled her eyes and replied, "Honey, you try living in the same house as your mother in law for more than a year."

Luke simply nodded, then continued counting the tiles on the ceiling. He was up to thirty-two when a girl with long brown hair and a short leather jacket walked in. She looked at Nancy to see that she was on the phone, then decided to take a seat right next to Luke.

The girl leaned back and looked up at the ceiling as well, crossing one leather boot over the other in the process.

"How many so far?" she asked him as if she'd read his mind.

"Uh, thirty-two," Luke replied, still staring up at the ceiling.

"Well, count no further because I've counted these same tiles many, many times, and I have come to the conclusion that there are exactly sixty-eight," she said, then stood up and walked over to Nancy's desk.

Her leather jacket only reached midway down her torso, exposing a white t-shirt she wore underneath with "New York" scrawled in cursive writing over her chest. She had light blue skinny jeans on and short leather boots to match her jacket.

"Hello Audrey, how are you today?" Nancy asked, kindly. "Not in trouble, I hope."

Audrey smiled. "Nah, I'm actually here because Mr. Braxton wanted me to give this to you. A love letter, I presume?"

Nancy laughed, taking the envelope from the girls hands. "No dear, I'm married and so is he."

"So? I see the way he looks at you, Nancy. Completely up to no good. Speaking of, what's this one in for?" she asked, pointing her thumb in Luke's direction.

"Trying to sneak out. Can you believe it? Good thing I caught him before he could get too far," Nancy said, glaring over at the blonde haired boy.

Audrey laughed. "Of course."

Nancy told Audrey to hold on for a second while she dialed someone's number, but Luke didn't bother listening any further. For the first time since coming to this school, he was embarrassed, and maybe even a little intimidated. He didn't even know who this girl was or what she was like. He'd never seen her around school before or heard her name in the halls.

"Sweetie, can you stay here and watch him while I go bring these down to the principle?" Nancy asked the girl, holding up a huge stack of papers.

"Sure," Audrey said, then waited until Nancy had left the office to sit back down next to Luke.

Luke looked at her, curiously. There were about five chairs other than the one chair next to him. Why did she have to choose that one? Luke didn't mind considering he really liked how good she smelled, but he was confused. Nobody at this school was that confident.

Audrey, noticing that Luke was staring at her, chuckled quietly.

"What?" Luke questioned.

"Amateur," Audrey replied, smiling.

"What do you mean?" Luke asked, even more confused than he was before.

"I mean, you're an amateur. You can't just walk up to the front door and leave. You have to have a plan, and you have to know what you're doing," Audrey said, making sure that nobody was listening. "You're already off to a rough start considering Nancy doesn't seem to like you."

"Wait, what are you saying? Do you sneak out?" Luke questioned her, but she only smiled.

"You sure do ask a lot of questions. What's your name, anyway?"

"Luke," he answered, then watched as Audrey stood up and leaned against the counter.

"Well, Luke," she said, seeing Nancy approaching the office. "You've got a lot to learn."

🌿

HEY GUYS IT'S 2 A.M. SO IDK WHY IM POSTING THIS ITS PROBS REALLY BAD BUT HEY YOLOSJGFN HAHHHAHA bYE

UPDATE//////AFTER READING ALL OF YOUR WONDERFUL COMMENTS IVE COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT 1.) YALL ARE HILARIOUS AND 2.) YOU ALL HAVE SUCH VARIED SCHOOLS HONESTLY

LIKE SOME OF YALL CAN LITERALLY JUST WALK OUT OF YOUR SCHOOLS AND ITS NO BIG DEAL

AND SOME OF YALL HAVE TO WRITE A 25 PAGE THESIS EXPLAINING WHY YOU NEED TO LEAVE

IM JUST LAUGHING YOU GUYS ARE HILARIOUS BUT REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A FANFICTION ITS PROBABLY UNREALISTIC AF AND ILL PROBABLY FIX IT LATER BUT FOR NOW IM JUST GONNA SIT HERE AND LAUGH AT UR FUNNY COMMENTS OMG