Three | Escape

{edited}

-

It was finally Friday, also known as the only day where Luke had history with Mr. Baltowits and english with Mrs. Vincent for his last two periods after lunch. Also known as the day Luke was going to successfully sneak out of a school and finally prove himself to Audrey.

For the past two days, Luke hadn't heard anything from Audrey. He hadn't even seen her, but he wasn't focused on her at all. He knew that she'd probably be in one of two places; the office, or outside waiting for him.

As he sat in math class, impatiently awaiting the lunch bell to ring, Luke had one thing and one thing only on his mind-escaping.

To escape sounded a bit over dramatic, but Luke didn't care. He wanted to escape from this boring school ever since the first day he'd arrived. If he could escape even just this one time, maybe his high school experience wouldn't be so awful. Maybe he'd be able to leave whenever he wanted.

Everything had to be perfect. If he got caught one more time, he was sure that Audrey wouldn't even bother with him anymore. Not like she seemed too interested in Luke, but for some reason, he wanted to prove to her that he could do it.

Luke was so distracted by how cool sneaking out was going to be that he didn't even realize that the bell had rung.

"Shit," he muttered to himself, stumbling away from his desk with his backpack on one shoulder.

He practically ran to Mrs. Dalton's classroom, then slowly opened the door to see if anyone was inside. Thankfully for Luke, nobody was.

He slid through the door and checked the wall clock to see how much time he had before the teacher came back. He began to feel anxious, seeing that he only had less than three minutes.

He walked over to the window and uneasily opened it, then moved the screen. He slid his long leg through, nervously looking around to make sure that nobody was looking. Then, he slid his other leg, along with the rest of his body through the window. Right when he thought he was all good, he painfully banged his head on the window on the way out.

"Fuck!" he said, but then quickly covered his mouth.

With shaky fingers, he closed the window and slid the screen back, then leaned against the wall of the school building, looking around for the hole in the fence.

It wasn't too far, but he knew that he'd have to run to it so that he wouldn't get caught. He had to get out of there as soon as possible.

Luke jumped at the sound of Mrs. Dalton's classroom door opening, taking it as his cue to bolt. He sped off, then tripped halfway to the fence. He quickly recovered, then slid through the opening of the fence.

"I'm out," Luke whispered to himself, a huge smile spreading across his face. "Finally."

"Hey, dork. Nice trip on the way over here. It was a nice touch," Audrey teased, trying not to laugh. What Luke didn't know was that she'd been laughing ever since he banged his head on the window.

"Oh god, you saw that?" Luke said, scratching the back of his head, obviously embarrassed.

"Oh Luke, I saw everything. But hey, good job not getting caught. Let's go have some fun," Audrey said, taking Luke's hand in hers and dragging him through the woods behind the school.

Audrey was dressed in thin, black tights with light blue shorts, a black and white striped tank top, and of course, her signature leather jacket. As always, Luke thought she looked beautiful.