Nineteen | Rain

April was always Luke's favorite month. For him, the weather was perfect- not too hot, and not too cold. It was an equal balance, something that made him happy, except for when it rained.

After insisting that he wanted to walk home instead of get dropped off by Samantha, Luke couldn't help but enjoy the weather as much as he could.

The sun shined down on him as he made his way to his house. When he was close enough, he saw that Audrey's car was parked in the driveway, and she was sitting on the trunk, looking down at her phone.

As if sensing that Luke was close, she looked up and smiled at the blonde boy heading towards her.

"Hey," she greeted him, jumping off of her car.

"Were you here this whole time?" Luke asked, pulling out his keys to get into his house.

Audrey nodded. "I didn't know where else to go."

"What about your sister?"

"I went to her house but it was empty. They must have moved into a bigger house," she replied, sadly.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Luke said. "Did you lose her number?"

"Yeah, I lost everyone's number. That's why I couldn't just text you, and I didn't want to leave you a note at your house and have your mom find it or something. I'm pretty sure she hates me," Audrey explained.

Luke finally unlocked the door and walked inside.  "She doesn't hate you. I haven't even told her anything. Trust me."

"I don't know," she sighed. "I just wish none of this had to happen."

Luke sat down on his couch and Audrey followed. After a moment of silence, they looked at each other and waited for one of them to speak first.

Luke cleared his throat. "How long ago did you leave the note on the swing? And how'd you know I'd find it?"

"Last week, and I knew you'd find it because you found the last one I left. You're smart, Luke, and you're sentimental. You should have seen how alive you looked on that thing. There's no way that it could mean absolutely nothing to you," she explained, and Luke knew that she was right, but at the same time he felt guilty.

He shouldn't have brought Samantha there.

"Why'd you come back?"

"I had to grab a few things from my parents house, but I didn't want them to see me. I had to sneak into my old bedroom through the window at like two in the morning, and I almost fell on my face in the process. It was terrible, but all of my things were in a box on my bed, so I just took the whole thing and left. I didn't think that the neighbors would call the fucking cops on me, though," Audrey told him, immediately spiking Luke's interest.

"They called the cops? Did you get in trouble?" Luke said, trying not to laugh.

"Nope, as soon as I hopped out of that window, I ran as fast as I could, even with that huge box in my arms. And I'm so glad that I parked a couple streets over at a store because the cops had no idea where to look. But my parents definitely knew that it was me. That's why I'm scared," she explained. "Luke, if they see me, I don't know what they'll do. They'll probably lie to the police and find a way to send me to jail or something."