Eighteen | Hurt

thanks for over 5k reads! you guys are so amazing and I love you so much c: please remember to vote if you like the chapter! it means a lot:)

🌿🌿

It was two days after Luke's phone call with Audrey, and all Luke could think about was her. When would she be here? How would they act around each other? Would Samantha get jealous? Would Audrey get jealous?

Jealousy was a funny thing to Luke. He'd never experienced it until he met Audrey and saw her flirting with Ashton, the boy that she'd decided wasn't worth her time, and then when he noticed how boys such as Michael acted around her, desperate for her attention.

Luke never thought that Audrey would choose him over all of those other guys, so when she did, all of that jealousy that was built up inside of him faded away.

Luke didn't get jealous when he saw Samantha talking to other guys. In fact, it didn't bother him at all, even when she laughed at their jokes and smiled at whoever looked at her. He practically ignored it completely, but that may have been due to the fact that their relationship wasn't really that serious.

Considering Luke rarely associated himself with girls aside from Samantha, she didn't really have any reason to be jealous either. Even the desperate girls who practically threw themselves at Luke didn't bother her, especially since Luke never paid them any attention.

But this was different. Luke and Audrey were never an official couple, but the feelings were all there. They loved each other, and they didn't have a reason to stop, other than Audrey leaving. A love that strong could never be torn apart so easily.

Luke didn't love Samantha, or at least, he didn't love her yet. With Audrey back in the picture, Luke wasn't sure if he ever would.

It was twelve o'clock when Luke got a text message from Audrey, right before lunch.

From: Audrey
I'm at the school. Come out?

Luke asked his teacher if he could leave early to go to the bathroom, then made his way towards the lunch room, making sure that there weren't any teachers there just yet. Then, he snuck out the doors to the back where the seniors usually ate their lunch and stepped over the three foot fence surrounding the tables.

He walked over to the side of the school to see Audrey pulling up in her car. She got out and closed the door behind her, then ran up to Luke and hugged him as tightly as she could.

Luke hugged her back, not wanting to let go. The familiar scent of her lavender and coconut shampoo filled the air, making Luke smile to himself.

When they finally backed away from each other, Luke took in her features.

Her brown, wavy hair seemed longer, and she seemed a lot more tan, but she still wore her leather jacket with pride. She smiled at Luke and looked at him with her big green eyes, then hugged him one more time.

"I missed you so much, Luke. You have no idea how much it hurt having to leave you, but I really had to. I had to get away from them, even if it meant hurting myself in the process. I didn't mean to hurt you, Luke. That was the last thing I wanted to do," she told him with emotion seeping through her voice.

"But Audrey, you did hurt me. You hurt me so fucking much, you have no idea. I didn't know when you'd be back, or if you were even planning on coming back. I didn't know if I'd ever see you again, or if you died. I didn't know, Audrey, and that fucking hurt," Luke said.

"I'm so sorry. I'm such a terrible person and I should have never left you. I don't deserve you, Luke. You deserve so much better than me," she said, wiping a tear from her eye. "I hope that Samantha girl is treating you better than I ever did."

"She is," Luke started. "But don't ever say that you're a terrible person. You're the most wonderful person I've ever met, and that will never change."

"Luke, even when I'm an asshole to you, you treat me like I'm your-"

"Babe?" Luke said, seeing Samantha walking over to them. "What are you doing out here?"

Audrey seemed caught off guard, to say the least. Luke watched as Audrey stared at his new girlfriend with neither jealousy nor hatred, but something else instead. Luke couldn't figure out just what.

"I had a dentist appointment. What are you doing out here?" Samantha asked, pushing her hair behind her ear and looking at Audrey with curiosity.

"Oh, well, Audrey just came back from her trip to New York and she wanted to say hi or whatever," Luke told her, leaving out the fact that she'd be staying with him.

The two girls stared at each other for what felt like forever until they both turned their attention back to Luke.

"I thought she ran away," Samantha said.

Luke shrugged. "Guess she wanted to come back."

Audrey shuffled around awkwardly before backing up to her car.

"Are you staying here or do you want a ride home?" she asked him.

Luke thought about his answer for a minute before answering. He knew that it wasn't just a question. It was a question that implied, "Are you staying here with your girlfriend, Samantha, where you'll have to practically sleep through the last two periods, or are you leaving with Audrey, the girl who has a lot of things that she needs to tell you?"

If he stayed at school, that would imply that he was choosing Samantha over Audrey, but if he left, that would imply that he was choosing Audrey over his own girlfriend.

"I'm just gonna stay here. There's only two periods left. I'll text you when I'm out," Luke said, then took Samantha's hand and walked back towards the school.

He'd done the right thing by choosing Samantha over Audrey, but for some reason, he felt like he hadn't.

He looked back at Audrey and then down at his hands, feeling sad. What was he doing?

He slept through the last two periods and tried not to think about it.

🌿🌿

hey guys! thank you so much for reading! I hope you liked it!

I wrote this during drivers ed bc it's boring af (plus my teacher is like 70 and all we're doing is watching dateline) so hopefully it's not terrible.

don't forget to vote and comment! thank you c: