Twenty Eight | Cry

"Luke. Robert. Hemmings," Luke's mother said through gritted teeth, looking back and forth between Luke and Audrey, who was still yet to meet Liz herself. Her blonde curls bounced angrily around her shoulders as Luke and Audrey separated themselves from each other.

"Mom, we were just-"

"Who the hell is this, and why is she in my house?" she snapped, pointing her finger at Audrey and staring at Luke expectantly for an explanation.

"She's-" he started, then took a deep breath in an attempt to calm himself down. "Mom, she's my girlfriend. Her name is Audrey."

"Why is she here? How long has she been here?"

"Only two days, Mom," Luke said in attempt to calm her down, but he only made her more furious.

"So she stayed the night?!" she shouted. "She's not staying here any longer. I want her out now."

"But we didn't do any-"

"Out. Now."

Luke looked at Audrey, who looked right back at Luke, then looked at his mom. She was never like this. He had no idea why she was reacting this way, but it made him angry.

"Then I'm leaving too. Wait for me outside, babe," he told Audrey, then went upstairs to his room.

Audrey walked by his mom with her head down, not wanting to look her in the eye. She'd almost reached the door when the woman cleared her throat, making her stop in her tracks.

"You're the reason why he's changed," she said, anger still evident in her voice.

"What?" Audrey asked, confused.

"You're the reason. You're the girl that he started hanging around with, aren't you? You made him change. My baby boy started sneaking out of school, out of the house. He started coming home drunk, and even got a lip piercing because of you. That's not my Luke. He never did anything like that. You changed him," she said, pointing her finger at her.

"I never meant-"

"No, you did. I knew girls like you back in high school. You always mean it."

With that, Audrey walked out of the house, feeling Liz's eyes on her with every move she made. Knowing how much she hated her now made her want to cry. She never wanted any of this to happen.

She locked herself in Luke's car which thankfully for her was unlocked. She took deep breaths, trying not to let her emotions get the best of her, but she'd finally had enough.

She wiped away her tears when she finally saw the front door open again.

"If you leave right now, I don't want you to come back," Luke's mom told him as he made his way towards his car with a backpack hung on his shoulder.

"It's not like you're ever here anyway, and trust me, I won't." Luke said, then got into his car, immediately starting it and backing out of his driveway.

Audrey watched as Luke's mom wiped tears out of her eyes before walking back inside of her house. What she said had hurt her, but Audrey couldn't help but feel sorry for the woman. She was losing her son.