Twelve | Stars

Luke could see the hurt in her eyes. He knew that she was the one to break it off with Ashton, and he knew that he should have been happy that she did, but he wasn't. Ashton was one of Audrey's closest friends, and now he was out of her life for some reason that Luke didn't know about.

He knew that he must have done something terrible for Audrey to hate him so much. Luke thought that maybe he'd cheated on her, or said something rude. Maybe he'd hurt her emotionally, or possibly even physically.

"What did he do?" Luke finally asked, laying down next to Audrey and looking up at the ceiling that was covered with glow in the dark stars.

Luke looked at them and suddenly felt the urge to count how many there were, but he didn't get the chance to. Audrey had once again read his mind.

"There's forty-eight. When I was younger, I had this weird obsession with the stars and their constellations and I wanted nothing more than to be up there with them, floating in the midnight sky without a care in the world. When my parents were yelling at each other, Anna would tell me to go to my window and count the stars until they stopped. By the time I got to forty-eight, they had stopped, and I'd be able to finally go to sleep. That's why I like the lights so much and why I count things when I'm nervous," she explained, and Luke didn't care that she'd ignored his question. He just liked to hear the sound of her voice telling him more and more about herself.

Luke draped his arm around her and she scooted closer to him, resting her head against his chest.

"Ashton didn't do anything," she began. "I mean, he did, but in his mind he didn't."

Luke ran his fingers through her hair and held her closer as if to tell her that it was alright to continue. He wanted to hold her forever, to keep her in his arms until he was certain that she'd be alright.

"He just wasn't interested in me anymore. When I kissed him, it was like kissing a stranger. When I talked to him, he wouldn't listen. He was different. He wasn't the Ashton that I grew up with. He was someone else," she told Luke, wiping tears out of her eyes before Luke could see them.

Luke couldn't see how someone so perfect could possibly be treated like she was nothing. Audrey was everything to Luke. She was the first person he thought about when he woke up in the morning, and the last person he thought about when he went to sleep.

"I'm sorry, Audrey," Luke said, pressing his lips against her forehead. "You deserve to be treated like a princess, okay? You deserve someone that will kiss you and love you just as much as you do. You deserve the sun, the moon, and the stars. You deserve the fucking world."

Luke wanted to be the person that could treat her like the princess she was. He wanted to kiss her and love her more than anybody else ever could. He wanted to give her the universe.

Audrey lifted her head off of Luke's chest and looked into his blue eyes. Staring right back into hers, he felt something in the pit off his stomach that made him feel like he was going to explode. He'd never felt like this before.

"Luke, I don't think you understand how much you mean to me," Audrey told him, then attached her lips to his.

She kissed him slowly, knowing that they wouldn't have to rush into anything. Luke was fragile and innocent, and she didn't want to mess anything up between them. She only wanted to take her time, and make him feel as special as he made her feel whenever they were together.

She climbed on top off the blonde boy, still kissing him tenderly. She moved her lips to his jaw and began placing soft kisses down until she reached his neck, then she pulled off Luke's shirt and continued placing kisses under Luke's collarbone, making him moan.

Audrey smiled to herself, continuing to kiss his body until she finally began to crave Luke's lips again.

Luke's fingers fumbled with the zipper to her leather jacket until he had successfully unzipped it and taken it off of her, revealing a loose fit white shirt. Audrey went to take her shirt off, but Luke stopped her.

"Too much?" she questioned, causing Luke to nod his head vigorously.

"Just a little bit," he admitted, hoping that Audrey hadn't noticed his now over obvious bulge under his pants.

Audrey smiled. "You're adorable."

Luke didn't understand how someone who was so confident and comfortable with herself could be interested in a boy like him. Not even two weeks ago, he'd never kissed a girl's cheek before, other than his mom's. He was inexperienced and awkward, but somehow, Audrey liked that about him. Luke couldn't help but think that maybe it was because him and Ashton were polar opposites. Maybe she'd been going after what she wanted this whole time, but now she was going after what she needed.

Audrey rested her head on Luke's chest, listening to the sound of his heartbeat slowly going back to its normal pace.

"What time is it?" Luke asked her.

He didn't want to leave, but he knew he'd have to eventually. His mom meant a lot to him, and breaking her trust was not something that he wanted to do, even if he'd already done it multiple times without exactly getting caught.

"Almost one-thirty," she sighed, drawing patterns onto Luke's bare chest with her index finger. "I don't want you to go."

Luke kissed her forehead and played with her hair. "I don't want to leave."

They stayed there for as long as they could, enjoying the feeling of having someone to hold. Luke didn't want to move. He wanted to stay with Audrey until he fell asleep, but he couldn't. He had to go.

"Audrey," he whispered, seeing that Audrey's eyes were now closed. She opened her eyes slightly, and smiled when she saw Luke. "I have to leave now."

Audrey frowned. "No, Luke. I want you to stay."

Luke smiled at how cute he thought she was, but he knew that he had to go home.

"I can't," he sighed.

"Babe," she whispered. "Stay."

Luke only had a few more minutes, but he didn't want to leave Audrey sad. He pressed his lips against hers, and then moved down to her neck where he proceeded to suck and kiss tenderly. He'd never given anyone a hickey before, but from how Audrey responded, he knew that he had done something right.

"Bye, Audrey. See you at school tomorrow, okay?" he said, kissing her one last time.

"Bye, Luke," she whispered.

Luke didn't know it, but he wasn't going to see Audrey at school the next day, or the day after that. She would soon disappear like the stars during the day, and there was no telling when she'd be back.

🌿

GUYS HOLY POOP I JUST REACHED 1K READS AND PRACTICALLY 200 VOTES THIS IS SO AMAZING I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH THANK YOU FOR BEING SO COOL AND COMMENTING AND VOTING ALL THE TIME I APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH!!! HOLY POOP!!!