Thirteen | Attitude

"Luke, are you paying any attention?" Mr. Baltowits asked the blonde boy who had an earphone blasting ACDC in his right ear.

Luke didn't care for history. It bored him to death and made him want to leave the classroom just to search for Audrey, whom he hadn't seen all day. Usually, she'd meet up with him at his locker, or when he was on his way to class, but today for some reason, she didn't.

Luke shrugged at his teacher. "Not really."

He was in a terrible mood. After leaving Audrey's house the night before, he arrived home, just before his mother, and then proceeded to search for food in his fridge. As he was about to pull out a box of pizza pockets, he heard the front door open. Suspecting that it was just his mother, Luke continued to grab the box, struggling to open it with his short nails.

"Jared, are you coming?" he heard his mother say.

"Yeah, babe," the man said, walking up to the front door and entering the house behind Luke's mom. He was holding a box of pizza, which was way better than frozen pizza pockets.

Liz almost looked surprised to see Luke, but he was always in the kitchen attempting to cook food that usually didn't end up being edible.

"Babe?" Luke repeated, feeling slightly disgusted.

"Luke," his mom smiled nervously. "This is my friend from work, Jared."

Jared had shaggy brown hair and brown eyes. He was taller than Luke, and much more muscular for an older man. To Luke, he was a threat, and he didn't trust him.

"A friend? You never talk about him," Luke pointed out, which was true.

His mother gave him a warning look, telling him to be quiet, but Luke didn't care.

"Are you two dating or something? Did you bring him here to meet me? Because I'm not interested," Luke said, then went upstairs to his room, not coming out for the rest of the night.

Luke hated the fact that his mom had a boyfriend. He never had a father figure in his life before, and he definitely didn't want one now.

Luke looked at his history teacher with a blank expression and waited to be yelled at for having an attitude.

"Watch your attitude, Hemmings," Mr. Baltowits said, then returned to writing important dates on the whiteboard.

Luke rolled his eyes and put his earphones back in.

When lunch came around, Luke continued looking for Audrey, but he couldn't find her. He sat alone, eating a turkey sandwich and listening to his music. Luke was about to stand up and look in the office, but he was stopped by a girl with long blonde hair and big brown eyes.

"Hi Luke," she smiled nervously, sitting down next to him. "My name's Samantha."

Luke smiled awkwardly. "Uh, hi. What's up?"

Luke was surprised. Someone was finally trying to talk to him, and they even knew his name.

"Nothing really, but um, my friends kind of forced me to come talk to you," she told him, blushing slightly.

"Oh," Luke said. "How come?"

Samantha smiled, then took a piece of paper out of her pocket and handed it to the blonde boy.

"Because I think you're cute. My friend's having a party next Friday. Be there," she said, then walked back over to her group of friends.

Luke had no idea who any of them were, he only knew that they were popular and pretty.

Luke looked down at the paper to see an address written down with a date and time. He wasn't sure if he'd actually go, but if Audrey wanted to go, then he probably would.

He looked back at Samantha once more before standing up and finally walking to the office.

"Hey Nancy," Luke said as he walked into the office and looked around. "Have you seen Audrey anywhere?"

Nancy shook her head. "No, I haven't. Why? Are you two friends now?"

"No," he lied. "I just want to make sure she's alright."

Luke knew that Audrey's parents had been trying to get custody over her again, but what if they already did? What if they made her move to a different town with them? What if she was hurt?

"Well, she was marked absent today, but her sister hasn't called to say why. I'll call her now, and if she answers, then I can let you know," Nancy told Luke, who nodded and leaned against her desk.

Nancy dialed Anna's number, and Luke listened to it ring, hoping that she'd pick up. After six rings, she still didn't pick up, so Nancy had to leave a message.

Luke groaned, feeling defeated.

Maybe she was just sick, he thought. So, he called her on her cell phone, but she didn't pick up. It didn't even ring.

He made his way back to class, sitting through an annoying lesson on Trigonometry. Luke was already an expert in math, he didn't have anything new to learn, especially in trigonometry.

When school finally ended, he went home and feeling like he had nothing better to do, decided to take a nap.

"Luke, honey, I have to go back to the school for extra help, I'll be back late," his mom said through his door, immediately waking him up.

Luke knew his mom. He knew that she'd never give her students two tests in two weeks, so there was no way that she was staying for extra help.

Luke jumped up from his bed and opened his door, seeing his mom at the end of the hallway wearing a dress, heels, and diamond earrings that he didn't even know she had.

"You're going on a date," he breathed, not believing that his mom would betray his trust. "Were you on a date last weekend too?"

"Honey, I-" she started, but he wouldn't let her finish.

"And Jared bought you those earrings, didn't he?" Luke questioned, already knowing the answer.

Liz nodded, sadly. "Luke-"

"Have fun on your date," he said, then went back into his room, shutting the door behind him.

He couldn't breathe. He felt as if the world was falling on top of him and he couldn't do anything about it.

It wasn't a big deal that his mom had a boyfriend, Luke just hated being lied to. Especially from his own mother. He couldn't stand it.

Not knowing what else to do, Luke walked over to his window and looked up at the stars. By the time he'd counted forty-eight, everything was calm, and he went back to sleep.

🌿

//hey guys! this chapter was probs boring but it was just to show how shitty luke's relationship has become with his mom. plus, where the heck is audrey? comment what you think?;)