Twenty One | Edge

"Just text him," Rain said, sitting down next to Audrey on the couch.

It had been three days since Audrey arrived at her friend's beach house, and she hadn't left once. When she wasn't sleeping in her room, she was either on the couch eating something or curled up somewhere just thinking.

Rain could tell that she was upset. Audrey was always doing something, whether it was going on an adventure or helping out around the house. She wasn't the type to stay inside all day doing nothing.

"No," Audrey said, shoving a handful of chips into her mouth.

"Why not?" she asked.

"I don't want to annoy him."

"Oh my god, Audrey. You're being ridiculous. He probably wants to talk to you."

"Doubtful. He's probably hanging out with his girlfriend. What if she sees me texting him? She'll get mad at him, and then he'll get mad at me," Audrey said, but she had a point.

From what Audrey had seen of Samantha, she seemed to be a jealous girlfriend. Audrey knew that she had the right to kick her out of Luke's house, but the way that she handled it was unnecessary.

"Who cares? Stop being such a bum and get off your lazy butt. Either you text him right now or we're doing something. Seeing you like this is making me sad, and I have a boyfriend."

Audrey had completely dropped out of school and wasn't planning on going back. However, she knew that this week was April Vacation, and if it were any other time in her life, she'd be out partying and having fun. Although she was upset, she still wanted to be a teenager.

"Don't rub it in," Audrey sighed. "What do you wanna do?"

"Wanna go to the Edge? Mikey misses you," Rain asked Audrey, who smiled.

The Edge was another name for the place that everyone seemed to go when they wanted to be a little rebellious. It was an abandoned factory near Michael's house where parties were always being thrown, usually by Michael himself.

"Are his annoying neighbors on vacation?" Audrey asked, already knowing that if they were home, they'd surely get the cops called on them.

"Yeah, but they get back either tonight or tomorrow."

"Then I guess I'm wearing my sneakers."

Audrey changed into a pair of black leggings, a white shirt, and some sneakers. After sliding into her jacket, she made her way over to the front door to wait for Rain, who was also dressed in nearly all black and wearing sneakers.

They were used to being chased by the cops, and they found it easier to run away without getting caught by being dressed like that. They were faster and sneakier, which was why they rarely got arrested.

After texting Calum to tell him where she was going, Rain led Audrey to her car and drove to Michael's house, which was only twenty minutes away. They parked in his driveway, knowing better than to park near the Edge, then walked for fifteen minutes until they reached the abandoned factory.

"Just like I remember it," Audrey smiled, then hopped onto the fence.

Audrey and rained climbed over the fence like it was nothing, having done it hundreds of times before. They jogged over to the entrance, which was really just a small hole that you had to crawl through near the edge of the factory, hence the name. Then, using the flashlights on their phones, they walked through the dark, up a set of stairs, and into the room where everything happened.