Twenty Nine | Rumors

Luke and Audrey decided to go to school even though everything that was going on was so hectic. And this time, Audrey was actually going for real.

"How many more months are there again?" Audrey asked. It was known that she hated high school, but she knew she had to finish. If she didn't, she'd let everyone down.

"Barely one, babe," Luke told her, gently kissing her forehead.

"Thank you for helping me catch up with everything. I'm glad they're actually letting me finish even though I missed so much."

"Well, it's not like you were a slacker or anything. You got really good grades, Audrey. You still will," Luke told her, and she smiled.

"You're too good to me," she said, then stopped in front of her first period class.

Luke leaned forward and kissed her gently on the lips. "I'll see you at lunch. If anything happens, text me, alright?"

"I will. See ya later, dork," she said, then took a deep breath before entering her class.

Audrey looked around to see twelve sets of eyes staring at her blankly. Then, suddenly something clicked in their brains and immediately they turned to each other and began whispering things to each other such as, "She's back?" or, "Who is that?" or even, "Wow, I thought she was dead,".

"Audrey, take a seat. We're free drawing right now," Mrs. Pomphret told her, motioning towards an empty seat.

She sat down, feeling the stares of multiple people burning into her skin. Finally, someone cleared their throat.

"Hey, Audrey right?" she asked, leaning over the desk.

"Uh, yeah."

"Is it true that you moved to Australia? I heard you did. I've never been, but like, I hear it's pretty cool out there," the girl asked, tucking a strand of red hair behind her ear.

"No, that's not true. I went to New York for a little bit, but I didn't like it that much."

"Are you dating that blonde kid? Yanno, kinda lanky but somehow still cute at the same time? Lucas or Luke or something, right?" she questioned.

"Luke, and yeah."

"Oh wow, good luck. Samantha's crazy."

Audrey shrugged. "I think we already handled her."

"You better hope. Anyway, he seems cool or whatever. I'll make sure to tell everyone that you weren't sent to military school, jail, or Australia, since that's all I've heard since I walked through the door," she said.

"Okay, thanks, I guess."

"Oh, my name's Emma by the way," the girl said, then tucked a strand of red hair behind her ear.

Audrey went the rest of the class staying silent and drawing peacefully. She didn't want to think about the rumors, or about Samantha. She figured that she wouldn't really be a problem anymore. However, she also didn't think that she'd end up being in one of her classes.

It was third period - history - when she realized that she would have to receive glares and dirty looks from the blonde haired girl for the rest of the year. Audrey sat as far away from her as she could, but it didn't make a difference.

At lunch, Audrey told Luke all about the rumors and about how Samantha was in one of her classes.

"I'm sorry, baby. Don't worry about any of that, alright? After school we're gonna go to the lake and try to figure things out and get your mind off of everything. It's gonna be okay," Luke told Audrey, holding her hand in his.

"I hope so. It's just annoying," she replied.

Luke leaned forward and kissed Audrey gently on the lips. "I know."

When school finally ended, Audrey met Luke at his locker and they walked hand in hand to the lake. They took their time, wanting to be together as long as possible, and not caring if anybody saw them.

They took a deep breath as they approached the lake and smiled at each other. It felt so right to be there together again.

"So, what kind of rumors were there?" Luke asked, sitting down in the sand.

Audrey sighed, sitting next to him and leaning her head on his shoulder. "Apparently I moved to Australia and went to jail."

Luke couldn't help but laugh. A lot.

"It's not funny!" Audrey yelled, but ended up laughing anyway.

"It's definitely funny," he chuckled, then pressed his lips against her forehead.

They laid down in the sand, holding each other close until they drifted off to sleep. They were content and happy, as long as they were with each other.

The sun was beginning to set when they woke up, so they decided they'd go home. The drive to the abandoned house was quick, but they didn't mind. The couldn't wait to hold each other and talk about their days.

They walk up to the front door, prepared to walk inside when Audrey notices a note taped to the door.

"Should've listened," she read aloud.

"What the hell? What's that supposed to mean?" Luke asked.

"I-I don't know. You didn't tell Samantha about this place right?" Audrey asked him.

Luke looked at her, slightly offended. "No, why would I do that?"

"Well, if it wasn't her, then it must've been-" She was stopped by the sound of cop car sirens nearing the house.

"You've got to be kidding me! Audrey we have to go now," Luke said, grabbing her hand and running to the car.

They got in the car and sped off, having no idea where they were gonna go. Luke couldn't go back to his mom's and Audrey wasn't going to make Luke drive all the way to Rain's house. There was only one place to go.

Audrey called her sister.

-

pls remember to vote :)