Two | Different

{edited}

-

The next day at school, Luke couldn't help but think about the girl with the leather jacket as he was sitting in history, listening to one of his favorite songs. As always, he made no effort to pay attention in class. He had too much on his mind.

Audrey wasn't even in any of his classes, but for some reason, he simply couldn't get her out of his thoughts. She was the first person at this school to actually talk to Luke, and that meant a lot to him. He couldn't thank her enough. He finally felt like he existed.

There was something about her, from her leather jacket to her been there, done that attitude, that intrigued Luke. He wanted to get to know her, and he wanted her to teach him everything that she knew about this school, this town, and even about life.

Luke couldn't just sit around and wait. He decided that at lunch next period, he was going to try something new.

As the students all exited the classroom to get to lunch, along with Mr. Baltowits, Luke stayed behind, making sure that everyone was gone until he finally did what he planned to do.

Luke walked over to one of the windows and unlocked it, then tried to pull it up to open it. However, the window wouldn't open. He tried the next one, but that one wouldn't open either.

Suddenly, Luke heard footsteps coming from behind him and tensed up, knowing that if it was a teacher, he'd surely be in trouble.

"What are you doing? You look like an idiot," he heard Audrey say, then immediately relaxed.

"I'm trying to open one of these windows so I can leave, but they're all stuck or something," Luke said, still attempting to open one of them.

Audrey shook her head and sighed. "It's cute that you're trying, but those windows don't open. There's only one window on the first floor that opens so that you can climb through it, and this isn't it."

Luke looked up at her, a look of immediate interest splattered on his face. "Where is it?"

"Room 128, but that's all I'm telling you. Don't get caught, loser," she said, then walked away so that all Luke could see was her familiar leather jacket and her long brown hair swaying behind her.

Luke thought that Audrey was hot, and not just your everyday, covered in makeup, blonde haired beauty queen hot, but more of a badass, intimidating, mysterious kind of hot. He liked it. It wasn't every day that you met a girl like her.

Room 128, Luke said over and over again in his head as he walked by each classroom, searching for the correct room. He finally found it and smiled when he saw that it was open. He walked inside and headed towards the only window without a screen and unlocked it. He was completely determined and ready to climb out of the window when he heard someone clear their throat from behind him.

"What do you think you're doing?" a curly haired woman dressed in all black asked Luke, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Um, I was- uh, it was a little stuffy so I um- fresh air?" Luke stuttered out, but the teacher was not impressed.

"Office. Now," she ordered, and Luke—feeling defeated—walked out of the classroom and down to the office, only to find Audrey already there, as if she was waiting for him.

She smiled upon seeing Luke, which only caused Luke to glare at her. She knew something, he could tell.

"Get caught again, dork?" she asked, knowingly.

"You knew that I'd get caught," Luke accused, but Audrey only smiled.

"I highly expected it, but I had a little hope for you."

Luke scoffed. "I'm sure. Where's Nancy?"

Audrey didn't have to answer because right after he asked, Nancy walked in. Upon seeing Luke, Nancy only frowned. Luke wasn't sure why Nancy didn't like him, apart from the fact that he'd tried to sneak out, but he figured it wasn't a big deal. She was just the office lady.

"Audrey warned me that you'd probably be here again," she said, letting out a sigh.

Luke shrugged, sitting down in the same chair as yesterday.

"Well, it's your lucky day, Luke Hemmings. The principal had to leave the school for an emergency meeting today, so I'm gonna have to let you off the hook just this once," Nancy told Luke, which made him smile at her.

"Thank you, ma'am," he told her.

"Don't mention it," she said, then looked over at Audrey. "We're gonna have to get this one a leash, huh?"

Audrey laughed. "Definitely."

"You two go get some lunch. And Audrey, please knock some sense into this boy," Nancy said, then picked up the phone and dialed a number.

Walking to the lunchroom together, Luke looked at Audrey with curiosity. All that she wore for makeup was winged eyeliner and mascara, which really brought out the green in her eyes. Her lips were a bit chapped, but she was beautiful. There was no way that Luke could stay mad at her.

"You knew that I wouldn't actually get in trouble, didn't you?" Luke said to the brown haired girl.

She smiled. "I might've, but that doesn't excuse you for being an idiot."

Choosing a small, empty table, Audrey sat down, and Luke sat down next to her. He noticed that everyone else in the lunchroom were in their own worlds, talking amongst one another. It was as if Audrey and him weren't even in there.

"I just don't get it. How am I supposed to sneak out without getting caught when there's teachers everywhere?" Luke asked, making sure that nobody was listening in, although he knew that they weren't.

"That's where you are wrong, Luke. They all have shifts. Mrs. Dalton, the one with the window in her classroom, leaves her room as soon as the bell rings to get her lunch and then comes back like five minutes later to grade papers at her desk."

"So what do I do then?"

"Once you're through the window, you have to close it behind you, then sneak to the back of the school towards the fence. It's closed, but there's a hole underneath that you can crawl through," Audrey explained to Luke, who listened carefully to each word.

"Wait, what about all of my other classes? Won't they see that I'm not there?" Luke asked her.

Audrey smiled. "That's the fun part! Okay, so basically you have to pick your day carefully. Make sure that the last two periods that you have after lunch are teachers that never take attendance, or wouldn't even notice you were gone. But honestly, how many teachers at this school actually take attendance anyway?"

Luke knew exactly which two teachers he had that didn't take attendance, or even noticed that he was there, half the time. Mr. Baltowits and Mrs. Vincent, his english teacher who almost always had a sub.

"Is that what you have to do?" Luke asked her, but she shook her head.

"Nope, I have a lifetime excuse, plus me and Nancy are chill."

"What's your excuse?" Luke questioned.

"I'll tell you, but only if you successfully sneak out without getting caught."

Luke smirked. "I won't get caught."

"I guess we'll just have to see."

Luke looked around the lunchroom, only seeing boring, normal looking people. Nobody was different, and that annoyed Luke, but then he looked at Audrey, and he was no longer annoyed.

Audrey was different. She was mysterious, confident, and she seemed to know what she was talking about. He'd never met anyone like her before. He liked her. He couldn't find anything about her that he didn't like.

"So, how do you know all of this, anyway?" Luke finally asked her, and she smiled.

"Years and years of practice."

🌿

LOL IM SURPRISED YOU GUYS LIKE THIS?? YOU ALL MADE MY DAY WITH YOUR COMMENTS AND VOTES AWE I WAS SO HAPPY :-))) I LOVE YOU LIL NUGGETS