Chapter 1: Everything Has Changed

(Hi everyone, I'm Katie! I hope you're all as excited for this story as I am and I hope you enjoy the first chapter. Just to let you know, Never Had has aboslutely no connection to my other story, Look After You, so don't get the two mixed up. But please, if you haven't already, read Look After You too! Leave comments, vote, and share both stories with your friends! xoxo.)

"Emma, you're late! Hurry now, we can't be late for dinner at the Tomlinson's!" that would be my mother, whom I can't believe I'm related to or have been able to put up with for the last twenty one years of my life. We're complete opposites, except for our looks: light blonde hair and green eyes. People say I'm pretty but I don't really care what they think; I barely even know most of them.

I guess I should introduce myself: I'm Emma. Actually it's Emilie, but I prefer Emma. An average girl living in this stupid town called Doncaster. I've been dying to leave since I graduated, but I decided to stay with my mum after my dad left. Things have gotten better, but I stayed much longer than planned; like 4 years longer. My mom may be extremely giddy, girly, and everything I'm not, but I love her.

"Relax Mum! It's just the Tomlinson’s, we're over all the time." and in truth, we were. My family moved right across the street from the Tomlinson’s when I was six. Originally, my dad was from America and my mom was from London, but they decided to move to a smaller town for me: what a mistake that was. I hate it here. Everyone knows everyone and it's impossible to meet anyone new, keep secrets, or just get some peace and quiet. The only time I ever enjoyed this Godforsaken place was when Louis was around. Yes, Louis from One Direction. But I know, or knew, him just as Louis. We had met a few days after I moved in and because we were the same age, our parents thought it would be perfect for us to become best friends; so we did.

Louis and I did everything together. Other kids thought it was weird for a boy and girl to be best friends, but we didn't mind back then. Eventually it started getting awkward in middle school, but we still managed to stay close. My mom would and still swears that Louis and I will get married someday, but I just laugh it off every time she brings it up. Me.. and Louis? Anyone who put us two together must be completely insane. And trust me, my mother is. His sisters, Lottie and Fizzy, do the same to me. It's gotten really old, especially since he's been gone.

See, about halfway through senior year, Louis told me he was going to audition for the X-factor, a singing competition show. I was happy for him, since I had always known he loved to perform, but I wasn't ready to see him go. Yeah, I was selfish. When he left, he promised he would call every day, but that lasted less than a week before all communication ceased. I have no idea why, but he just stopped talking. Maybe it was the fact that he was a rising star, or that he was just tired of me. I don't really know what the reason was, but it hurt nonetheless. The worst part is that through all this, I've developed a feeling I've never had for Louis. And no, it's not love, thank you mother. It's hate. I despise Louis Tomlinson. I hope I never speak to him again because that would only bring back the memories of me being happy. Of course, that isn't going to happen since he's coming home today.

Yeah, that's why my mom is so giddy. She wants to make sure I look perfect for Louis, but I could really care less. If I had a choice, I would go over in my Adidas running pants and a tee shirt, but that obviously won't be happening. "You've got to be kidding me," I said when I noticed the aqua dress my mother had laid out on my bed, "This better be worth a new pair of free runs. Oh, and no heels." She smiled and left me to get dressed. I honestly don't see why she does this to me. Why doesn't she just get a doll? I took of my shorts, tank top, and sports bra. I guess I forgot to mention it but I'm a runner. Track, long distance, whatever you want, I'll run. That and science and you've got my life. Pretty boring, I know.