Chapter 29: Love That is Crisp in the Fall

Pulling into the gravel driveway, I couldn't help but smile seeing my home. Louis stopped the car and took both of his hands of the wheel, touching my shoulder gently and smiling at me. I smiled back as we stepped out of the car and I felt the cold Doncaster air hit me, sending goose bumps down my bare arms. However, the warmth came back when Louis met me at the doorstep of my childhood home and wrapped his left arm around my waist. I rang the doorbell and we waited to be greeted.

The door was lined with decorative orange lights, as my mother always did for Halloween. A small pumpkin sat a few feet away from us and I smiled, noticing how she still carved it with a smiling face because when I was young, the regular jack-o-lantern faces scared me. Little did I know that was the least of my fears at the time. But never mind that, I'm not afraid anymore. I've given the fear back and it is no longer a part of me. I am, as I have always aspired to be, free.

My head pokes back up when I hear the door open and before me stands my mother with a ridiculous grin spread across her face. She giggles at the sight of us both, probably very happy with Louis' placement of his arm, and steps toward us onto the porch. Next thing I know she flings her arm around us and I am put in the middle of the three-person group hug. I'm not much of a hugger, but I missed my mom, so I smile and hug her back. Finally we pull apart and I notice that she is all ready for tonight in her orange and black outfit, a tacky candy corn necklace strung around her neck. My mom always loved Halloween the most of all the holidays, most likely because it was the least stressful for her. Of course that love of October 31st spread to me and even I had learned to love when she wore that tacky piece of jewelry. Especially now at twenty, I got a chance to feel like a kid again.

The voices of screaming little girls were heard in the background and I struggled to see them, but I knew Louis' sisters were here as well. That thought was confirmed when Daisy and Phoebe came running to the door, smiling up at us in their beautiful princess costumes. "Louis! Emma!" they shouted and hugged our waists as we each bent down and gave them a proper hug at their level. "What beautiful princesses you both are!" Louis complimented and they both played with their dresses while giggling, which in turn made both of us giggle as well. "Here, everyone come inside before we all freeze." my mother opened up the door wider and Louis and I stood back up, chasing the twins back inside the house where they seemed to be heading for the kitchen.

There we found Jay, Lottie, and Fizzy. Jay was cooking something on the stove, but immediately stopped when she saw her son walk in. Lottie, dressed as Dorothy, and Fizzy, dressed as a Greek Goddess, stopped helping each other with their hair and smiled at the two of us while running over to give us a hug. The two teased me for quite some time about 'this' finally happening, meaning Louis and I. I think there might have even been a bet in place, but I was really trying to tune them out. As they started arguing over who was right and who was wrong, I slyly escaped from their side and joined Jay and my mum on the other side of the room. "Hi Jay!" I smiled at her as she hugged me. She then moved over to Louis and hugged him tightly, as my mother had done with me earlier. "So did you two have a fun time?" Jay asked and we smiled at each other, nodding our heads. "Good. But it's great to have you home." my mum smiled and Jay agreed with her.

"So we are taking Phoebe and Daisy out tonight, but Lottie and Daisy are going to a big party in Sheffield, right girls?" Jay turned to the two who were back preparing themselves for tonight. 'Yeah, it's through Young Life, I'm surprised you haven't already heard about it, Emma." Lottie answered and I suddenly felt left out. While I had been gone, Lottie and Fizzy had been doing the same things I did when I was at home and in high school and while I could have been a leader for their group, I was off sight-seeing with their brother. I had missed Young Life and home in general, and now, I was feeling the bad side effects I had never thought of when I agreed to join Louis on the tour.