Chapter 8: Breathless

"So, tonight.." My young life leader, Trevor, started to say before a chorus of "Yes tonight!" echoed through the small room. Mondays at 7:27 were Young Life Nights for me and Jem. Young Life was basically the least Christian club that still talked about Christian stuff around, and I really enjoyed it. 90% of it was weird games and 10% was actual learning.

"Tonight I thought we should answer the question everyone wonders: why do we believe?" Trevor said. Hm, that is a good question. I myself did not start actually thinking about God and Jesus and stuff until a few months ago when I first started to go to Young Life. "To answer that, I thought I could also answer someone else's question, in this very room." he took out his phone and scrolled for a few minutes before finding what he was looking for. "This person asks, does God approve of the way we see relationships now?" Someone bumped my shoulder and I looked next to me, seeing my friend Scott smiling. I guess that means he asked the question. Makes sense since he and Janessa have been dating for a while now.

"Well, you cannot enter a relationship before asking for God's approval. You seek His approval before entering into a relationship. And you can know if He has approved through the various ways he connects with you. If you have faith in him, he will guide you along the right path. If he has faith in you, he will expect you to make the right choice. Remember, 'Do not be deceived: 'Bad company ruins good morals.'" he finished and we ended with a prayer.

The rest of the night consisted of loud music and weird games, but I really wasn't into that this time. Instead, I hung out on the side of the room, thinking about what Trevor said. Bad company ruins good morals. Bad company meaning who? Louis, my dad, Connor? Any of them could be changing me. I have faith in God, but I'm not sure if he is helping me. I mean, all that's happened this summer is Louis hating me, but maybe he's trying to fix that with Connor.

"Em! Come catch some marshmallows!" Jemmie grabbed my hand and dragged me over to a group of about eight other Young Life go-ers. Playing the game made me feel better and I left with Jemmie at around five o'clock, smiling. "What's up with you? Most of the night you're sulking and now you're smiling like an idiot." she questioned. "I don't know. I just really like this place. I'm going to miss it when fall comes around." I said, thinking about having to go off to college in a few short months. Don't get me wrong, I'm dying to get out of here and study what I love, but there are some things I'll be sad to have to leave behind.

"Well we'll just have to make the most of these few weeks before you leave! Of course, Young Life hasn't been as fun since Louis stopped going, but it will still be fun." she said, covering her mouth when she realized she brought Louis up. On the car ride over, I had told her everything that had been going on since I had last seen her and she seemed somewhat shocked, but mostly sad. She is my best friend, so of course she feels sorry for me, but she also wanted Louis and I to get together, like everyone else in this freaking town.

"It's fine, you're right. He was always the life in Young Life." I giggled, thinking about some of the crazy stuff that used to go on way back when. Quickly realizing what I was doing, I shook my head and wiped the stupid smile off my face as we got in Jem's car. "So, what are you and Connor doing tonight?" she smirked at me. I had told her Connor was coming over, but I said nothing about what we were doing. Now she was expecting some crazy-ass idea, like we would have sex or something. Yeah, Jem, riiiiiiight.

"I'm going to make him a nice dinner. He started working a few days ago at the football arena and I figured he could use some time to relax." I smiled. "You're a really good girlfriend to him, you know." Jemmie said, turning the corner into my neighborhood. "Yeah well, he's a good boyfriend. It's a good balance." Okay, that wasn't entirely true, but minus that one day, Connor has been literally perfect.