Chapter 12 ~First Journey~

"It's been a couple days, surely Lachlan has made his decision." Josh thought.

"Mmm, maybe." Preston shrugged, fiddling with his fingers.

"That was kind of my way of asking if you could go check." Josh hinted.

"Okay." Preston sighed. "I'm just nervous of getting caught, that's all." Preston shyly smiled. He didn't want Rob making assumptions that he was working against them.

"I promise you won't get caught. All you have to do is get the note from Lachlan and come back. It's quick and easy. After these first couple of times you should get more comfortable." Josh reassured him.

"You're right. I'll be back shortly." Preston stood up and left. It felt like his heart was beating out of his chest. He was so nervous. He felt like he had to sneak around the halls but he doesn't. He tried to look as normal as possible. Preston got on his horse with the coast looking clear. As he started to move out someone called his name, startling him. 

"Preston!" It was Vik. "Where are you going?" he asked. Preston froze for a second.

"Just, out. Get some fresh air you know?" Preston nervously smiled.

"What about, Josh?" Vik wondered.

"He'll be fine on his own. D-Don't worry about him." Preston hoped Vik didn't think anything of his stutter.

"I'll watch him if you want while you're out." Vik offered.

"Really? Thanks, I won't be out too long." and with that Preston left.

With Vik being able to cover for Preston, he felt better and less stressed. He now had his focus on seeing Lachlan. Lachlan is only a year younger than Preston, making him sixteen. Preston smiled at the distance memories of him and Lachlan growing up side by side. He remembered when Lachlan first introduced Vik to everyone about four years ago. They grew close really quick. Preston never noticed how dark the forest was until he saw a ray of light shining in. He slowed down was he came around the bend, closer to the east castle.

"Lachlan." he whispered, crawling towards to the opening. Preston saw his hand wave, making him giggle. "Lachy how are you today?"

"I'm doing good especially now that I've seen you." Lachlan grinned.

"Same. Have you finished writing a response?" Preston implied.

"Oh, yeah, here you go." Lachlan handed him the rolled up piece of paper. "How is everything back home?" he wondered.

"Good, it's not in ruins and everyone is alive. We're working hard on ways to get you back." Preston informed him.

"Wonderful I can't wait to see everyone again!" Lachlan exclaimed. For a moment there he actually felt happy and hopeful again.

"I'd love to stay and catch up but I must get home quickly. Goodbye, Lachlan! I'll be back again!" Preston waved.

As Preston walked back down the stairs, he listened to see if he could hear Vik or Josh or anything. It was silent. When he came around the corner he saw Vik sitting on his chair and Josh laying on his bed, facing the wall.

"Hey Vik I'm back!" Preston announced.

"You take your time don't you?" Vik laughed.

"Yeah, sorry, it was really nice out." Preston nodded. He looked over at Josh who, he could tell, wasn't asleep.

"I don't blame you for wanting to take a break away from him." Vik scoffed. Preston raised an eyebrow. Vik mouthed something to him but Preston couldn't tell what so he just gave a small nod. "Well, enjoy the rest of your time down here." Vik patted Preston's back before heading up the stairwell.

"Josh, you alright?" Preston threw his satchel on the table and took out the letter.

"No." he grunted.

"What happened? And here's Lachlan's letter." Preston walked up to the bars.

"Vik is just really annoying. Thinking that he's the best, threatening me, and 'Oh, you're going to be stuck here listening to the screams of your people as you're forced to watch us live happily ever after'. Just..." Josh mocked, rolling off of his bed, "Give me the note." He took the paper out of Preston's hand. "This is why I like you. Because you don't that."

"Josh you have to understand that not only are you his enemy but you also took his lover. Lachlan is his world." Preston emphasized. Josh only glared at him. "Fine. I'm going to go upstairs and give you some time alone." Preston gave Josh a little attitude but quickly turned soft again. Preston could understand both sides of their stories.