Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Prince Ezerette Mclane

The streets were once again crowded as I took a left turn. The wind was kind of strong so I had to cover my eyes from the dust. I could have sore eyes in a minute. Not wasting any time, I entered the busy public library because on the door, stapled, was a sign that said URGENT HIRING. Even if it's a public library, I knew that this would help. I was not fond of books, but sure I could hold and read. But not much. To be honest, I didn't really hold a book. Never in my life. Except for the textbooks that I had to carry when I was in High School. It was mandatory so I did not have a choice at all. When I entered the library, the librarian pierced her grey eyes at me I shivered. She was one of those typical librarian. Her hair was turning white and she's wearing a glasses. Round one. She had this strict look at her face. I strode with confidence over the desk and mustered a courage to talk to her.

"Um," I said awkwardly. Real smooth, Ezerette. Real smooth. "I saw the sign outside. Um, still available?"
She raised her brow at me and it took me the guts to not fumble with my fingers. She looked like one of those grannies who would beat the shit out of you using a baton. She scribbled something on her paper and looked at me again over the rim of her glasses. I was getting nervous. And her eyes! Her eyes traveled from my face to my feet, studying me as she wrote something.

This was a bad idea. I mean, I shouldn't have gone here. I was not a book person for God's sake and yet I came to apply here! Muttering on why I was so stupid, the granny tear the paper and place it on the side of the computer. On the edge. Sticky note.

"Boy, are you fond of books?" She asked me as she clasped her hands, looking at me. I shook my head hesitantly. It's better yo tell the truth than to lie. "Then why apply here? From the looks of you, reading is the least you would do. Or holding a book would be the last thing you would do on this planet. So why apply?"

I nodded. She was right. Why did I even come in this place in the first place? I sighed in frustration, running a hand through my hair, making it messy as I looked at her. I decided to tell the truth.

"Because I need to," I said, averting my eyes. It hurt me to say that I couldn't go to school because my family had a financial problem. Dad didn't make a huge money as well as Mom. But it was enough to save our stomachs and give us a home and save Eclair's future. "I wanted to earn money because I wanted to continue studying in College and have a real job that fits that course I took. I want to help my family."

She broke a smile. Brief. But she changed it into a thin line. "Okay. Let's talk about the salary."

"I'm hired?" I said, getting excited. She nodded and smiled again. A genuine one. I smiled back at her.
"You don't have the aura of being a book nerd or something," she admitted. "But I did not judge you. Well, I assumed. And I was right. You're one of the few people who would like to help families instead of being a lazy, useless human." She chuckled and rolled her eyes at me. "By the way, I'm Kourtney Spenfield."

"Ezerette Mclane," I said, offering my hand. She took and we shook hands.

"Okay, the salary." She said, going back to business. "Per hour, you'll earn $16. So in total of four hours, you'll earn $64. I also sense that you're one of the very few people who would like to have another job instead of having one. So I'm giving you four hours to work. But before you start, I need A valid ID and resume so just to make sure you're not a criminal."

I laughed but then stopped. I realize I would earn $64 in just four hours. I mean, it was kind of big. For a public library, she sure had a lot of money. Well, this library was the famous library in town. Not because it's public but because it had an awesome interior design. I overheard that the owner of this public library was very rich and loved to read books. And her goal was to have a library and share it to people who also loved to read. I didn't know who the owner of this library was. But maybe I could meet her soon.