Chapter 6

Chapter 6
Josh Heid Thompson

There was this, still, uncomfortable feeling nagging me. It felt like it had been here since forever and I wanted to vomit but there was nothing to vomit. My stomach was empty. I didn't bother eating because I knew that I would just throw up and waste it. Although my stomach was grumbling, I tried to ignore it as my anxiety grew and grew.

The last time I felt this way when I was a kid. I had punched someone on the face and the whole day, I was really guilty. It was the first time that I had hurt someone. It wasn't good. And then when I got home, I knew something bad would happen because words traveled past, my mom shouted at me, telling me she was disappointed. How could I punch a stranger? It wasn't me. The stranger had provoked me though. But even if I got an earful of lecture, I was still feeling bad. I threw up what I had eaten the whole day and I didn't eat the day after tomorrow.

But this time, it felt different. I had not punched someone in the face. Believe me, I had been a very good boy these past few days. It was hard, but I managed. I hadn't provoked someone, and thrown at insult. I was busy. It didn't even cross my mind to punish my staffs who had messed the cafeteria. So what could possibly the reason why I was feeling this way?

Sighing, I sat down on my chair and turned around, looking through the window. The sun was sliding down, making the sky look purple-y. The stars were visible now. Although it was too early, the moon amd stars shined. The sky was mixed with purple and fiery orange. Looking down, it was still rush hour, so there was a heavy traffic. Probably those people were going home to their family. I never felt what kind of love family had. So I didn't understand what was the point of going just to see them. I would never understand it.

My life was messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if my Dad, who was already retired and let me took over the company, chose some woman for me to get married with. It was always about business. My life had always been bitter and I never got the chance to explore life as a kid. I had been taught on how to be a great businessman at the age of 15. I always envied others, who weren't rich as my family. They didn't have to have a lecture about business. When they got home, they would just go outside and hang out with their friends. I had never experienced that. Not until I grew up and had a mind of my own. Like... 18 years old or higher?

Someone knocked on my office's door, getting me out of the deep trance that I had been in. I shouted a come in and Sylvia entered the room, on her right hand, she's holding the board full of schedules flawlessly. Today, she was wearing a light green dress matched with a leather belt around her waist, showing off her curves and she was also wearing a glass.

"Mr. Thompson," Sylvia greeted as she wrote something on the board. "You have a meeting with Mr. and Mrs. Clarkson at 5pm sharp. They also invited you to have dinner with them. But I told them you might not because you have another schedule at 6:30 in the evening."

I mumbled an okay and she ushered outside my office and I went back on typing. It was one of the presentations that I was going to present to Mr. Westborrow. That old man. I'd crush his dreams someday. Just wait and see. I knew I was being cruel and all, but business was business. I had to do this to fulfill my dreams. In the field of business, every person was an enemy. You trust no one. You should know how to manipulate people's mind, and also, you have to be aware. That's how it worked. You never knew who was most trustworthy, so instead of risking, better trust yourself only. That's how I made this company even bigger. Because I trusted no one.

I jumped out when the door busted open and my friend, Charlonne, walked up into the office with a frown on his face. He stood up in front of me, arching a brow, as if silently telling me something. He looked pissed.

"What's gotten into your panty and died?" I asked him, not bothering him as I continued to type.

"Have you been in social medias lately?" He asked me. That's when I looked up to look at him. Social medias? I hadn't been online since last week. I wasn't checking my Facebook, or even Instagram. Social medias weren't my thing, but it was fun enough to see what the people were saying about me.