Chapter 34

Chapter 34
Prince Ezerette Mclane

Mrs. Thompson sighed as she took a seat on one of the bench that faced the beautiful roses. Hesitantly, I took a seat beside her. The air was warm and Mrs. Thompson's hair flew. The trees rustled and moved as the strong wind gushed over us. The birds chattered happily and I was surprised there's no tension hovering around us. We just sat in silence as we watched the nature did its beauty. I combed my hair carelessly with my fingers, making it messier. Mrs. Thompson sighed again and this time, you could see how depressed she was, how sorry she was, how regretful she was.

"Why are you here?" She spoke finally, her voice sounded like she's about to break. I felt bad for her. No mother should feel this way. I knew that she loved Josh, and that she treated Josh as her very own son, and I understood that she just wanted what was best for Josh.

"I'm sorry," I said to her with pure sincerity. If she were my mom, I would just give her a bear hug and rub her back. But she's not. Although I knew it also applied to her, but it would be awkward. We were not comfortable with each other. "What Josh said back there, it's not right. I'm saying sorry in behalf of him."

She looked at me like I had lost my mind and her eyes told me that she appreciated what I did, what I said. "No need to." Mrs. Thompson said. Though her voice changed a bit; a positive tone. It made me smile. Although Josh was not her real son, Josh had acquired her stubbornness.

"Yes, I have to." I said to her, smiling. "I would never say those things to my mom. Or to other mothers. Because it's not right. And I know Josh didn't mean what he said. I know that you don't like me for Josh, but... we love each other. We're telling the truth."

"Listen, what I said about our family, just forget it - "

"Josh told me everything about the dark secrets of this family," I told her truthfully. Her eyes widen in surprise, like she couldn't believe the truth. Her hands began to shake and she looked away. I could tell she was embarrassed. I knew what I had to do. Even if Mrs. Thompson told me to go, I wouldn't. She needed me here. "Don't worry. I will never ever tell a soul. But I just want to say that if you're not happy on what you have right now, then do what you want to do. Don't do what you have to do."

"You have no right to tell me that," she said rather harshly. I flinched at the thought of her voice but I did not let it affect me. She could go ballistic on me. That's right. I was used to dealing with my very own mom. "You don't understand our lives. Our lives work because of business. Him and I. We married because of business. We adopted Josh because of business. We had a child, Yumi, because of business. Everything's for business. And I'm pretty sure Josh married you because of business."

"He did use me for business," I replied to her. Her words weren't pointy enough to hurt me. In fact, every word she said to me was nothing at all to me. "In the first place. I knew that he was up to something. And I knew that Philip, uh, Mr. Westborrow, was somehow the reason. I had a feeling about that. Mr. Westborrow is important to the company. Josh knew that I could help him. Josh knew that I could make Mr. Westborrow seal the deal with his company. I knew it. But like we've said a million times, we didn't know when we stopped pretending. We just did one day. And now, everything is real."

She was still looking at me with her piercing eyes, like she was trying not to believe in what I said. But there was no reason to not believe it. She knew that what I had told her was the truth. Mrs. Thompson looked down at her lap and her eyes were pooling with tears. I scooted a little closer and hesitantly wrapped my arms around her. She was so vulnerable. Mrs. Thompson froze when she felt my arms around her.

"I know this is a little awkward," I said, chuckling awkwardly. "But this is the best comfort that I can give you. I always hug my mom so she would feel better. And it always works. I'm just hoping that it works for you, too, Mrs. Thompson."

Smile tugged onto her lips and she leaned down her head a bit, resting it on my shoulder.

"Call me, Elaine." She told me, sighing in contentment. "Thank you, Ezerette." I felt happy.

I smiled at her, hugging her tightly. The awkwardness had diminished and as of right now, everything was fine. Elaine may not be the best mother, but she was still a mother, who wanted best things for her children.

"Mrs. Thomp - uh, Elaine." I began, taking a deep breath. "What you said earlier. I don't believe you." Elaine frowned at what I said but waited for me to continue. "Everything doesn't work for business. Some are. But not all. Why don't you just let go and be free?"

"You don't understand it, kid."

"I do,"

"No you don't - "

"I do, Elaine." I said firmly. So firm that she pursed her lips. "Elaine, from now on, you're my mom. Mother-in-law. What I'm trying to say here is, give yourself a chance to be happy. Go with the love of your life. Mr. Thompson and you share the same misery. Both of you have to let go. Both of you have to part ways so you guys can enjoy life. Don't think about what the world would say, or what your parents would say, they don't have the right to control your life; Mr. Thompson's life."

"But - "

"No buts, mom." I teased her, laughing lightly. She laughed at me, too. She wiped her tears-stained face and looked at me with hopeful eyes. "I mean what I said. Make sure you tell Mr. Thompson. I'm pretty sure he will like the idea of you and him having a divorce. And believe me, you'll have a better life as well as Mr. Thompson. Josh won't be affected. I'm sure. Yumi, well, she will. But she knows better. She'll understand. After all, kids also want the best things for their parents."

"Thank you, Ezerette." She said to me. I gave her a nod, telling her that everything was going to be okay. It may not be today. It may not be tomorrow. But someday, it would. It was just a matter of time before it happened.

We just watched the birds flew around us and the beauty of the blooming roses were awesome. You could see the thorns and the roses were very red, like a color of blood. The wind blew pass us and Elaine's hair flew again. She tucked it beneath her ear and for the first time, I saw the real Elaine Thompson. She was smiling happily. Of course, you would still see the hint of stress etched across her face, but her smile was genuine, and by the looks of it, she was thinking happy thoughts. I was glad I was able to help her. I knew she considered what I said. Curse my Mom for raising me this way. Elaine pulled away from the hug and stared at her lap with a smile.

It made my heart swell with pride. I had helped Josh's mom. I had done the right thing. Elaine stood up and took a deep breath. She held her chin high and thanked me. I told her it was nothing. It was just my nature. She started to walk away and I watched my surroundings for a while. I shut my eyes, feeling the warm breeze of the wind.

Then I felt his presence. I opened my eyes to see him watching me with a blank expression. Josh took a seat beside me and he wrapped his arms around me, resting his head on my shoulder. He inhaled my scent and I just shut my eyes again, feeling his warms hands comforting me.

"I'm sorry," he whispered sadly, his arms tightening around me.

"That's okay, Josh." I told him, turning around so I could face him. I cupped his face and kissed his lips. My lips tingled and the kiss sent shiver down my spine. I would never get tired of kissing him. He was now part of my family. He was now my husband. He was now my world. He was now my everything. His lips were warm and soft and as always, it always left me wanting more. I pulled away. "Do you remember when you first kissed me?" Josh nodded and gave me a small smile. "You made me want to cry that day. I don't know when did I start loving you. I don't know what would happen if you're not by my side."

"I won't leave you, Ezerette." He assured me, kissing my forehead. He hugged me tightly and pushed me back into his chest. I inhaled his scent. He smelled like fresh mangoes, his favorite fruit, and I had to smile because when I first used his bathroom, I found that he had a strong obsession for mango stuffs. "I love you too much to leave you. Plus, now that I have tasted your sweet ass, do you think I'll let go of you?" He smirked.

My cheeks flushed. I scowled. "You're such a fucking perv," I told him, rolling my eyes playfully. "Don't you dare leave me. Or even cheat. I'll fucking kill you if you do those things to me."

"I won't, hubby." He assured me, running his nose across my neck, which tickled me. I giggled. "Ticklish. I love you, babe."

"Hmpf, you're just saying it so you can fuck me later." I told him playfully. He arched a brow at me and we both burst out laughing. "I love you, my bipolar husband."