Chapter 39

Chapter 39
Prince Ezerette Mclane

Josh had been so far away from this past few days. Everytime he and I would be together, his phone would constantly ring and Josh woud pick it up immediately. The thought of Jinky calling him was not appealing at all. I tried to mask the jealousy that was always coursing through me whenever he was on the phone, talking to God knows who. It was irritating, really.

I was pretty sure that Josh would never cheat on me. I had a lot of trust on him. I was with my friend today, Cheena, and I had been bugging ever about Josh. She kept rolling her eyes at me, saying that I was just being paranoid, telling me that it was just normal. I told her that what I felt, about Josh being far away from me. Lately, he was always on a phone call and he would laugh while he was talking.

"Stop being paranoid, Eze." She said as she combed her hair slowly and carefully. Cheena just got out of her bath and was doing her usual things after taking a bath. Girls and their damn make-ups. "Probably it's just a friend."

"I think not!" I protested as I sulked on her bed, sprawled, looking at the ceiling as I glared at it. "Last week, I saw his ex-girlfriend's name flashing on his phone's screen. That means something." At least to me, or so I think.

"Eze, there are a lot of reasons," she tried to convince me, but I wasn't having any of it. I had to trust Josh, but it seemed like there was something wrong. "Don't overthink, Ezerette. Josh loves you. There's no doubt in that. I mean, he declared his love for you in front of your parents and basically to the world. Duh." She said.

Cheena was right. Josh basically declared his love for me to the world. But I couldn't seem to make the disturbing thought out of my head. It kept flashing, looking realistic. What if Josh realized that he was really straight? What if he wanted a girl and not me? What if he realized that he was not in love with me? What if he wanted to go back with Jinky, his ex-girlfriend? I would be crushed. Literally.

Shaking my head at the thought, as if doing that would make it drift away, but it wasn't. There was this feeling inside me, that everything wasn't right, that everything was sort of falling apart. Was everything really falling apart? I mean, just because of this?

This was not right. I had to trust Josh. Josh would never hurt me. Ever. I was precious to him, and he was precious to me. We would never hurt each other. We promised.

Cheena was done doing her girly things and took a seat on the edge of the bed, looking at me.

"Where's Layla?" I asked her.

"Oh, everywhere," she replied, flicker her hair. It's true. Layla was always everywhere or anywhere, probably searching for a good topic to tackle and publish it on her blog.

Someone knocked on the door and opened it, revealing Trenton. His hair was slightly tousled and he was wearing a white tank top, revealing his fine, long arms and was wearing white shorts. He looked at us and pouted. That's a normal thing for him to do. Cheena laughed at his older brother and Trenton went over to the bed, taking a seat.

I remembered the day when when we were still kids. Trenton liked having me as a friend. He always protested. He had said before that guys were supposed to be the best of friends, not a man and woman. He always told me that I could get cooties because of Cheena. My best friend, Cheena, had tried to portray what Trenton described her - a girl with a short hair who had a little fangs (her mom bought her a fake fangs in Walmart) and had a cookies and she would spread it to everyone - but still, it wasn't enough to make me leave her.

Trenton, getting used to Cheena and I's closeness, got along with us. We would always play hide and seek around their house and I was always the one getting caught. Trenton was really good at playing games. When he didn't know what kind of game we were playing, I would tell him the rules and that's it, he was an instant winner. No cheating. Really.

The only person I didn't have a close relationship was Layla. She liked to hang out with her 'it' friends. Even we were children, she had her own group of friends that liked to bully. Even we were not close, she still had this older sister attitude. When someone tried to bully us, her friends would be instantly on our side and they would fight back for us. Usually, Trenton was our protector because he was big enough to fight back, but Layla was always there for us. Whenever we passed each other, she would give me a nod of acknowledgement and I was glad that Cheena was her sister.

"Hey, no offence, but I heard you guys talking about Josh?" Trenton said and his eyes went from wide eyes from slits. I could feel Trenton's attitude, the big brother attitude, coming out. He was very protective of us. "Is he cheating?"

"He's not," Cheena said as I spoke, "I don't know,"

"He better not," he growled, glaring at God knows which. I could feel the tension thickening in the air and my hands were itching to pull my cellphone out of my pocket and text Josh, ask him where he was right now and what he was doing and if he had plans tomorrow. "Josh's like a brother to me, but if he ever, I mean ever, cheat on you. I'll fucking kill him."

"Now, now, big brother," Cheena said, patting her brother's back. "Calm down. You might pull out the gun inside your pants and shoot everywhere. We don't want to see your machine gun."

Trenton and I laughed at Cheena's sexual joke and she grinned at us, indicating that she was pleased she made us laugh. Leave it to Cheena and her sexual jokes. She was always like this. Too much boyxboy stories had filled her head.

"Yeah, I don't want to fire it on you guys," he said with a chuckle and Cheena rolled her eyes playfully. I face palmed and Trenton burst out laughing as he shook his head. "Let's go downstairs. Mom's been cooking and I'm hungry. Let's say after eating, we go to mall and have fun?"

"Sure, that would be good!" Cheena agreed, nodding her head frantically. "Good thing. I'll buy some clothes."

"I said have fun, not go shopping." Trenton teased her little sister and she pouted. "Ah, girls and their obsession with shopping clothes and make-ups. I'll never understand."

"Me, too." I joined in, agreeing with Trenton. Cheena hit me on the arm and glared at me. Trenton grinned at us and then stood up. We both followed him and soon, we were now downstairs, in the kitchen area, where their Mom was making fried rice with mixed vegetables. That's the rice I loved. Their Mom always cooked it and she loved to stuff us with delicious foods.

She gave us a smile and turned off the stove, then she grabbed a bowl and put the fried rice in it and placed it on the table. All of us eyed the rice, and we knew, from here, that we would never have a chance to eat outside at the mall because we knew we would stuff ourselves full.

She then put a plate in front of ourselves and as usual, Trenton was the first one to get a plateful of fried rice and Cheena scowled at her. Layla was not here at the house, probably out with her friends. Poor Layla, she would not have a chance to taste the fried rice her mother had made. But then, Layla always missed out the special things her mom were making.

We were all eating peacefully and every once in a while, my second Mom would look at us and shake her head. Because we ate like pigs. We kept eating like the world was about to end we didn't have a chance to look at the clock, too busy eating to even look at it. We were probably eating half an hour now.

Trenton sighed in contentment as he pat his stomach, his eyes shut as he breathed slowly. Cheena pushed her plate slightly and burped in a low tone, still we heard it. Trenton made a disgusted look and Cheena stuck her tongue out on her brother.

"Okay, let's go to the mall and havc fun," Trenton said as he stood up, getting our plates and putting it into the sink. Cheena told her brother that she would just wash the plates and Trenton nodded, walking out of the room and probably going to his room so he could change.

Smiling, I fished my phone out of my pocket and dialed Josh's number. I wanted to hear his voice today. He was so distant to me these past few days. He was dedicated to his business. I waited for a few seconds until his voicemail rang in my ear.

"Hi, this is Josh Heid Thompson! I'm probably busy right now, doing business things. Please leave a message and best contact number so I could give you a call back. Thanks, buh!"