Chapter 40

Chapter 40
Josh Heid Thompson

"Hi, Josh... um, this is Ezerette? I just wanted to know which day is your off? Um... I miss you and love you so much. We barely talked these past few days and it's driving me crazy. Please reply as soon as you can. Bye. I love you."

I had been playing the voicemail that Ezerette had sent me. Lately, I had been so distant to him. I just wanted to have a time alone, to think of things clearly. Jinky, my ex-girlfriend, had been texting and calling me. She was still all over me and she started bugging me ever since Mom brought her to the anniversary party to be my date.

Jinky kept texting me, saying that she still loved me and wanted me to be with her again. I isolated myself so I could think rationally. Jinky still loved me. Was I feeling the same? Of course not. My love for her had been long gone since we broke up and now, I had Ezerette in my life. I just wanted a time alone so I would know what to do when I decided to meet up with her. Well, I set up a meeting with her. But she couldn't go that day since she was busy.

Playing with my phone, I sighed in frustration as I looked outside, through the floor-to-ceiling windows that overlooked the city. I missed Ezerette so much but I needed to compose myself, needed to end things with Jinky properly. Not that we ended our relationship unclear. Her last words to me were 'This is not going to work' and my last words to her were 'Good-bye'.

My phone rang again and I eyed it, groaning as I saw her name flashing on the screen. I just waited for it to pass by, for the ringing to stop, but she kept calling me. Then finally, she left a voicemail.

"Josh, please, let's talk. Why don't you want to talk to me? Clearly, you still have feelings for me. We're just going to talk. What scares you?" Jinky basically pleaded. This was giving me headache. I massaged my temples and grabbed the bottle of water that was beside the laptop and took a huge gulp. Jinky was stressing me out.

I didn't have any feelings for her anymore. She thought wrong. What scared me was if I set up a meeting with her, the media would know and spread the rumors of me dating her again. No, that would not happen. But I knew we had to talk, to clear things. Though it was really clear to me, to her, it wasn't. I slammed my palm on the desk table and pens rattled on top, some of it falling down on the ground.

"Damn it," I muttered as I clutched the edge of the table trying to calm myself. "Sylvia!"

Sylvia barged into the room with a worried expression, and as soon as she saw my furious expression, she hung her head low and mumbled things. Sylvia wasn't used to seeing me mad or furious.

"Cancel all the meetings I have today," I told her, and she nodded quickly, scrambling out of the room. I had been cancelling most of the important meetings I had these past weeks, because I had a lot of shit to deal with. Dialing Jinky's number, she immediately picked up and before she spoke, I said, "Let's meet. Berlin Park. 10pm sharp. No more questions." I immediately hung up.

Dialing another number, a smile instantly grazed upon my lips. No wonder he always called me bipolar. It rang for a minute until he picked up the call.

"Josh?" Ezerette whispered, as if I was just a fiction of his imagination. I chuckled and he groaned. "Josh, what an asshole you are. I miss you so much and we barely talk and I hate you so much and at the same time I miss you, you freaking bipolar bastard."

"Calm down, babe." I said to him, laughing lightly. Even though I couldn't see him, I could still imaging him pouting and waving his hands up in the air. Tell no lies, I thought. "I want to tell you something." My voice got serious.

There was a dead air on the line, then he spoke. "What is it?"

He was nervous, I could tell. Voice gave it out. Always.