[ Midorima ] - Happiness

A/N: Please listen to Crystals by Of Monster and Men to get the full effect. Thank you Arima-san for showing me this really good song. I am a big fan.

 _____________________________________________________

"Do you ever just want to run away for awhile?" You ask suddenly as you sat up in the vintage argyle recliner in your friend's quiet and tidy home. Their parents were off on vacation, and your parents could give less than two shits. If you were to compare your house to this, your home might as well be labelled a dumpster. But you were fine with it. You knew where everything was and you liked the feeling your home gave off; warm, welcoming, and fun. Maybe this was why you and him were best friends. He was so introverted, up-tight, and distant. While you were charismatic, laid-back, and daring. You two were totally different from each other. But like they say, opposite attract like an electron and proton.

Your green-haired friend just looked at you with a puzzled expression once the question lingered in the air. You looked at him with (E/C) expectant eyes, you were serious. As silly as it sounded, you were curious and there was no better alternate way of asking it without appearing as an even bigger freak. So might as well get straight to the point, right?

"What do you mean?" The megane asked in return. He placed his lucky frog-printed bookmark in between the heavy worded sheets in his book, before setting it off on the table beside him. How could he not get it? It was as straight-forward as it could ever get. Your index finger finds its way to your chin to lightly tap a steady beat as you thought of an explanation other than, "You know, run away!" because that would be no help in this case.

"Like... You let the word hum longer in your mouth than it should have been before moving onto the next. "What if we just got away just for a little bit." After hearing it out of your mouth, you swore that it was the worst description ever. He continued to stay quiet, obviously waiting for an improved answer. His emerald green eyes were fixed on you, and every so often, they would glance out the window where only the moon-lit street and houses stood.

"Well? Get away from what? Lets begin with that."

"Get away from here. From all of this." You respond, creating an imaginary horizontal circle with your finger to point at everything around you. It was just those "What if..." moments that made you think extremely hard. It made you think until you realized that no matter how much you thought it through, it wasn't going to happen anyways. Then you would return to going back to your old boring routine of going back to school in a few weeks after break was over, doing chores, listen to your parents, and so on. Yet this "What if..." question kept bugging you because you really wanted to see what would happen if you did it. You couldn't even imagine the feeling of doing it because so many emotions ran through you when you dreamt about it behind closed eyelids.

"Wouldn't it be fun, Shintaro?" You add, watching him carefully pick his words.

"Why would you wanna run away from all of this? This is fine, nanodayo." Midorima shook his head, making you sigh. That boy was truly not living. It made you wonder what his definition was for freedom and happiness. Without a doubt, it must be having all of the Oha Asa lucky items at his disposal without having to drive into the city the night before to attain it.

"Shintaro," You call his name out. Your voice was so light, practically music to his ears. "What is happiness to you?" You inquire, shoving your hand into your hoodie pocket to grab out a small peppermint. After releasing it from its wrapper, you pop it into your mouth. The look on the megane's face after you asked was certainly questionable. This wasn't like a math equation where there was one right answer, and only one right answer. This question was up to the person answering it, and it held great difficulty to the shooting guard.