[ ?/Haizaki ] - Priority (2)

Warning: Strong language (swears, oops) ; Music: Joji - Slow dancing in the dark (the vibe is nice)

"...so, he just broke up with you like that?" The white-haired male mumbled under his breath as he dropped back into the comfort of your undone bed after taking a quick shower. His eyes focused on the glimpse of moon light peeking through the shutters of your window – anything to keep himself from staring at your blotchy-red face and watery eyes.

"Well, yeah," you sigh, scooping up the melted remnants of ice cream in your bowl, "and he already had a girl under the covers, so it just..."

"...made things feel ten times fucking worse, hey?"

"Yeah..."

The room went quiet and only your sniffles and the beeping of notifications from your phone (but you turned that to silent real fast out of annoyance) cut through the heavy silence from time to time. Even though you spilled to Haizaki, the burden on your heart didn't lift – would it ever? What was it like to be single again? How could you possibly move on? You dropped the empty bowl onto your desk table and the small clack brought Haizaki's eyes back to you.

"What am I supposed to do now, Shou-kun? I've always been with Shu-" before your voice could finish what seemed like second nature by now, your brain stopped it, "-Nijimura." It felt weird to address him as that, but you knew well enough that his nickname would send you back to waterfall tears. "I thought we were going to get married; I really did."

The white-haired male pushed himself up, his elbows now resting on his knees, his eyes still on you. "Well I mean – when I break up, it helps to..." His voice lingers for a bit as he cracks a lopsided smirk your way and you already deduced his next sentence.

"Stop right there, I'm not gonna go sleep with a stranger." You sharply interrupt as your fist gently presses against his bicep. He lets out a small chuckle, his large hand easily cupping the entirety of your fist. Oddly, it cracks a smile on your face too – even if it was just a small one.

"You're so dumb," you manage to spit out light-heartedly, dropping your fist from his grasp. The male's narrow eyes just stay fixated on yours, only now, his smile has disappeared. "What?"

"It doesn't have to be a stranger," he answers seriously, running his long and slender fingers through his damp, messy white strands. You raise an eyebrow at his statement.

"...what do you mean?"

"I-" Before he could finish, your bewildered expression froze his pierced tongue in place. Maybe it was because of your watery, red eyes or how the moon light was hitting your face so perfectly that he thought his heart also stopped beating for a second, he just couldn't say it. "I was just kidding – dumb joke. Yeesh, you could've at least given me a fake laugh or something!" The small forward awkwardly hollers out before pouting his lips.

Your expression drops to a deadpan, as expected of Haizaki. "I hate your ass sometimes," you snarl, bringing your fingers to his forehead to give him a well-deserved flick. He winces at the pain, but he doesn't avoid it.

"Not my fault I had a tough crowd tonight," Haizaki says with a slight playful growl, "well – those hot girls at the bar laughed at my jokes, just not you." A grin returns to his face and it takes every ounce of self-control in your body and mind not to round-house kick him. "...still not a fan? Damn woman, you're hard to please."

"Maybe that's why he didn't want me," you softly mutter under your breath softly, but loud enough for the small forward to switch gears.

"I was just kidding," he sighs as he inches closer to you, his face just barely a few centimeters apart from yours, "he's the real fucking dumbass for leaving you, you know?"

"...I don't know about that..."

"Come on, don't shit on yourself just because he's blind-" Haizaki continues, his hand now on your knee to provide some sense of comfort and warmth. "-and stupid, apparently." You just nod hesitantly at his words, but your eyes avert to the floor and the chipped paint on your toenails. You can hear another sigh slip past Haizaki's lips as he turns his head to the time on your alarm clock. It was nearing 3AM now and both of you were on the brink of exhaustion.

"I think it's time we got some rest," he suggests, cutting the returning silence between the two of you, "we're both pretty fucking tired – it could do you some good to sleep. Tomorrow, we'll figure things out together." You nod again, but no response. Haizaki knew his cue to leave and he got up, pushing himself from his knees now. He laid his hand on your head, gently patting it before making his way to your bedroom door. "Good night, (Y/N)." The male says softly, turning his head back once to see your eyes finally looking back at his.

"Where are you going?" You ask as you get up from your chair, your knees buckling from the few hours of being stationary. He gives you a look of confusion as he hesitantly points towards the direction of his room from yours.

"You said it helps to sleep with someone – you're not a stranger." You add and his eyes widen.

"W-wait, what are you saying?" He stammers (oddly, for the first time ever), his body now fully facing you.

"You're already here and I don't want to sleep alone tonight, so can't we just sleep beside each other? I know it isn't your thing – but it'll just be for tonight, I promise." You ask with the softest eyes as you plop down onto your bed, inching inwards to the wall to make room for the white-haired male. He stands there at your door frame like a statue as he watches your transition. "Well...?" You say, patting the open space on the small mattress beside you with your hand.

The male's bewildered expression becomes a half-hearted smile and a forced chuckle. "Just because you had a rough day," he answers as he finds his place beside you on the bed. He watches as you tug on the blankets, tucking both yourself and him in. Originally you had strictly thought to just sleep side-by-side for the night, but that took a turn since your bed was only twin-sized.

"Are you comfortable?" You quietly ask, nuzzling your head in between the crook of his neck and shoulder, your body slightly on his. His arms find their way around your frame, enveloping you in a mixture of his body heat and comfort.

"Mhmm..." He hums out, evident that he's on the verge of sleeping now. While it was a long day for you, Haizaki probably had a tiring day too.

"Thanks for listening to me and staying up with me, I really appreciate it." You continue to speak in a small voice as your finger trails along his exposed, prominent collar bone. "And for this. I know it's an odd request between friends, but it's nice." Your finger continues downward past his collar bone and now onto his chest. The only thing separating your guys' skin-to-skin was a thin layer of fabric from his white sleeveless shirt.

"It doesn't have to be only tonight, you know..." Haizaki says in a low, almost inaudible voice as he tightens his arms around you. "Just to sleep next to you, I'd want that for the rest of my..." He adds, but by now, his voice trails off into a low hum again. You're tempted to awake him once more so he could complete his sentence, but you decide against it. You've already robbed him of some decent hours of sleep. His chest just slowly rises and the falls, his heartbeat finally returning to a normal pace than earlier.

"Good night, Shou-kun." You say as the array of moon light projected on your ceiling and walls finally disappearing from your sight. On the corner of your desk, hidden behind your pencil case, glimpses of dim light from your phone flashed against the glass, but - that was a tomorrow's problem, right? You'll figure it all out tomorrow. 

A/N: I didn't proof-read oops, hopefully it's fine though. Do people still read KnB oneshots? I've been thinking about moving to another genre, who knows? Will I have time? Probably not. Stay safe everyone (And don't be a xenophobic!)