Chapter 48: Due

21 February, 1993

"Today's the day! Oh, today's the day!" Michael squeals.

Today is the day that Mini is due - I'm now nine months pregnant, and feel ready to burst.

Michael is ecstatic, just waiting for me to feel any kind of contraction or something. Bless him.

"Michael, you're a doctor. You should know how rare it is for a child to come precisely on its due date," I point out.

He groans, "I know! But I wanna defy the odds again!"

"We know. You've forced Jasper and Charlie to stay here for the past week in case I go into labour and you're not in the house," I scowl.

"Exactly! Common sense! You don't wanna be alone when the first contraction kicks in, do ya?"

"I'd like to be able to leave the house, though. I will rejoice when Mini's here; being able to go out without worrying about something unexpected happening."

"It'll come before you know it. Within two weeks, we'll finally know whether we've been blessed with baby Miracle or baby Jedidiah."

"Oh God, yes," I smile. "Cos if you go two weeks after the due date without going into labour, you have to be induced, don't you?"

"You sure do. That brings on the labour within hours after. I hope we won't need that, though. I want Mini to come before the two weeks is up."

"You do? Try walking around with this stomach for nine months straight, then you'll be glad to shed it off!" I joke.

"It'll take a few weeks to go after the birth, you realise?"

"Yeah... oh, the fun of it."

"Ah, you look gorgeous now, so imagine how radiant you'll look once it's gone? It'll all be worth it, sweetheart, don't you worry."

The front door opens, and Jasper and Charlie enter.

"Hola Miss Summers, Michael darling!" Jasper greets.

I let out a laugh. "Hey guys."

"Ooh, today's the due date, isn't it? Oh, I hope Little Mini will come soon!" Charlie smiles.

"Trust me, after the wait we've had, so do we," Michael laughs.

"Well, it'll come soon, I bet! Anyway, me and Jasper need to just put our stuff away, y'know, clothes and whatnot, for tonight. Be right back!" Charlie says.

They both leave the room, and Michael looks at me, as if he just had a scientific breakthrough.

"I have an idea!" he cries.

I look at him curiously, "Yeah?"

"Hold on a sec."

He dashes from the room, and moments later, returns holding the video camera.

"Let's make Mini a little video message, and say that today's the due date. It'll be so cute, and it'll be nice for him or her to look back on when he or she is older... what do you think?"

I beam at him. "That's a beautiful idea, Michael."

He switches the camera on, and turns it around so the lens is pointed at us both.

"Okay... I'll hit record, then we can just improvise. Spontaniety will make this more natural and more sweet, so don't plan anything," he instructs.

I nod, and he hits record and sits back on the sofa.

"Uh... hey, little one. This is your daddy here. Today is actually the day you should be coming, but you've decided not to make an appearance yet. Um... I just wanna say I can't wait to meet you, and I want you to know that I'll treat you like the Prince or Princess you truly are."