Chapter 29 - Visit

August 14, 2016

I was now a little over thirty-four weeks pregnant. I made my way to a graveyard, the graveyard.. The one where Peytlin was buried. I crouched down beside her grave that read: "Peytlin Vanessa Valentine. August 14, 1999 - October 8, 2012. Loving daughter, granddaughter, sister, niece, and friend. Never forgotten<3".

"Happy birthday, sis.. I can't believe you'd be seventeen today," I thought of it. I couldn't believe it.

"Also, you will be an aunt in a few weeks. I'm so excited. You would've loved to be an aunt, and even a mum someday. I can't believe that privilege was taken away from you by our own father..

"I miss you so much, Peyt. I hope you know that. Luke even misses you, so much. He called me, telling me he was crying this morning. He said to me, 'my baby sis is seventeen in heaven today.' He really misses you, and I really hope you recognize it.

"You'd never understand what the past four years have been like. I think of you, every single day. I've met my YouTube friends.. They always talk to me about you. They love you, even though they never met you. Connor knows you though. He was the one that took it the hardest, especially since you guys became really close when he visited the one time.

"I found this," I pulled out a folded piece of paper from my pocket, "you wrote it when you were eight. I remember how you were always writing songs and singing them to me, since I was the only one to listen.." I remembered how my dad hated when she sang. I always thought it was cute.

"I can't believe how vivid the memory of the day you were born is in my mind.. Seventeen years ago, today. I was three. I held you, and I remember looking over pictures of me holding you. Mum and I did that just a few months ago. All of those memories.. Wow. We were like best friends. Sisters are best friends given to you by your parents," I laughed, thinking about how many times I would tell her that when she was mad at me.

"You were always there. When dad would hurt me, you were always there to tell me not to hurt myself even more. I love you for that. And that one time you stopped me from the overdose when I was fifteen? Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I just wish I would've been there to help you, so you wouldn't have died.

"I thought we could be happy and live with mum when I called the cops on dad. I had no idea he would hurt you, especially kill you. I told Luke I didn't want to since you were there. He told me I had to. I couldn't just let my dad hurt us. I am so sorry for that.

"And again, the baby.. Well, when we were thinking of names, I thought to name it after you if it was a girl. Luke fought me, because he wanted her name to be Leah. After a long discussion, we decided on Leah Peytlin. We also thought of boys' names. Ryder Michael Hemmings is what we came up with. It is a boy, so our first girl will definitely be named Leah Peytlin.

"The day you died.." I continued rambling, "I couldn't help but think to myself, 'Why do such bad things happen to good people?' I wasn't thinking about me, though. You were such a good person, an innocent teenager. Why did dad have to take his anger out on you? It wasn't fair to you. What if I was there when it happened? He would've killed me, not you. I would've been okay with that. You had your whole life ahead of you, you were so talented. The only thing I could do was talk to a camera and put it online.

"I still haven't visited dad in prison since it happened. I'm surprised they didn't give him the death sentence. Why didn't they? He abused both of us and killed you. It's so unfair, I hate the world sometimes. I don't have you here with me to make it better.

"I love you sis, so much. I'll make sure to tell Ryder about his Aunt Peyt. I'll talk to Luke about you every day, as I do now. I'll never forget you," I promised. I laid down the song she had written on her grave. Next to the "16" charm that I had placed last year, I placed a "17" charm. I had bought her a bracelet for her tenth birthday. I would always get her a charm with her age on it on her birthday. She was buried with the bracelet on. She almost never took it off. I kissed the charm and laid it back down.

"See you soon..."

~

This is the second-to-last chapter:(:(:(

I almost cried during this chapter. It's so sad. I keep thinking of my cousin, and then my brother. I love this chapter though <3

-Lizzie xx