37 • The Girl Who Cried Wolf ✓

Chapter 37: The Girl Who Cried Wolf 

"This plan sucks."

Everyone in the veterinarian office turned to look at me as I said this, but they can't judge me for saying it. The plan does suck.

They're all going to be at the rave trying to capture the Kanima while I am not included in any of the fun- I mean mission, to help. I mean, yeah I'll be able to enjoy myself at the rave but who can enjoy themselves when there is a giant lizard looking like a whacked up extra from Jurassic Park in the same room with the potential to kill them?

"How? We're finally close to fixing this mess." Stiles groaned from beside me, running his hands down his face.

"But what do I do? I wanna be involved." I huff, crossing my arms.

Stiles just shrugs, "Stand there and look pretty." He pauses, looking me up and down, "See, you're doing great already." He grinned cheekily making me blush a little  as I slapped him on the arm.

"Fine, but prettiness will not save me from getting paralysed then mauled to death." I grumble, frowning at the needle Deaton just pulled out of a box. "That's kind of terrifying, needles and me don't mix well.. I'm fine with no involvement now. Carry on." I gulp.

Deaton gives me a small smile before he looks back over at Scott, "It's the same stuff we use on the dogs, just a higher dosage. If you can get close enough to Jackson, it should slow him down enough to buy you some time."

He then pulls out a jar full of what looks like ashes and I don't want to ask from what. "This is some of what you'll use to create the barrier." He carries on, looking directly at Stiles now. "This part is for you, Stiles. Only you."

Stiles' eyes widen as he looks around the room at all of us, "Uh, that sounds like a lot of pressure. Can we maybe find a slightly less pressure - filled task for me?"

"It's from the mountain ash tree, which is believed by many cultures to protect against the supernatural. This office is lined with ashwood, making it difficult for someone like Scott to cause me any trouble." Deaton replied back, making me frown.

"Then why can't I just do this with Stiles?" I speak up, making him look over at me as he puts the jar back.

He is quiet for a moment before he stands up straighter, "It's just something that Stiles can- must do, this has nothing to do with your capability."

I frown again, "That doesn't explain why it's something that just Stiles can do, we're both human, it would work for either for us."

"That's just how it is, 'Melia." Deaton replied shortly before clearing his throat.

"No one ever calls me 'Melia.." I muttered, tilting my head at him.

"So then I guess I do have to do it," Stiles grumbled, "Then what? I just spread this around the whole building and then either Jackson or whoever's controlling him can't cross it?"

Deaton looks almost relieved at the change of subject, nodding his head at Stiles. "They'll be trapped."

"Doesn't sound too hard." Scott finally pipes into the conversation.

"Not all there is. Think of it like gunpowder. It's just powder until a spark ignites it. You need to be that spark, Stiles." Deaton says, making simple words sound so much more meaningful.