40 • Fury ✓

Chapter 40: Fury

"So this kid's the real killer?"

Mia shifted on her place on Stiles' bed, sending a mental thanks to Scott for choosing to stand rather than sit because quite honestly, this bed was too comfy to share.

She looked intently at the Sheriff as Stiles tried to explain without mentioning the supernaturals in the town, that Matt was the killer.

Or in truth, Matt's the guy controlling the killer. But the killer doesn't know he's killing because it's actually another side of Jackson that Matt is taking advantage of.

It's all just making her head hurt trying to piece together.

"Yeah." Stiles said as Scott crossed his arms and looked back over to the Sheriff.

The Sheriff shook his head, still looking over at the book placed out on Stiles' desk. "No."

Stiles' head quickly snapped back to his dads direction with an open mouth. "Yes!"

"No."

Stiles jumped out of his seat. "Dad, come on. Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all he had to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common." He said, looking around at me and Scott for confirmation which we just shrug to.

Sheriff shook his head again. "Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter Kara wasn't in Harris's class."

"All right, okay, you're right, sorry." Stiles shrugged, Mia could almost feel the sarcasm starting to ooze off of him. "Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

"No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges." At Stiles' winning look he quickly added, "But that doesn't prove anything." The Sheriff persisted.

"How-,"

"Scott, do you believe this?" Sheriff quickly asked, interrupting his son.

Stiles groaned and threw his hands in the air, moving to sit next to Mia on the edge of his bed. "The family trust is unreal." He muttered.

She snorted, patting him on the shoulder as she watched Scott now try and explain himself.

"It's really hard to explain how we know this, but you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt." Scott told him calmly- much different to Stiles' frantic approach.

"Yeah, he took Harris's car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris's class, that they'd arrest him." Stiles joined in again, shooting his dad a pointed look almost daring him to object to those facts.

Sheriff stared at him for a moment before sighing. 'All right, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious? Our swim team sucks!" Stiles exclaimed. "They haven't won in, like, six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

"They're not that bad," Mia muttered. "The team are dicks but they just never actually care about the competitions."